sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* Re: 9term under Linux?
@ 1999-02-02  0:25 Chaotrope
From: Chaotrope @ 1999-02-02  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim.Robinson, Aharon Robbins; +Cc: sam-fans

On 99.01.27

> James A. Robinson <Jim.Robinson@Stanford.Edu>

replied to

>  Aharon Robbins <arnold@gnu.org>
> Cc: sam-fans@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu

on the

> Subject: Re: 9term under Linux?

saying

> I've got 9term, 9wm, 9menu, wily, sam, and rc working on my
> system. I really love the interface! =)
>
> Jim

This plan9 interface that Jim has is exactly what started
me a few months back investigating getting a Linux system even
tho I swore a number of years ago that I'd no longer spend my
own money on computer stuff (I've got two closets full of junk
already!).

I read some articles of Aharon's (Arnold's) in 1995 "Linux Journal"
and had the old R. Pike 'sam' article, and have been 'window shopping'
(where in this case 'window' has nothing to do with Microsoft) with
the intent of maybe putting together some no name x86 system.

So when I read here that Arnold has difficulties, I think, Maybe I'm
over my head, if *HE* has problems, what am I going to run into?!

Thus far, Debian is the only Linux dist that has p9 emu binaries at
its ftp site (Red Hat has 'sam' only). The NeBSD/FreeBSD people
even have a 'plan9' directory at their ftp sites, just like an
'editors' and  a 'TeX' directory. So I'm leaning toward BSD rather
than Linux just because that indicates to me that these people are
"thinking" along those lines.

So my question is, e.g., Jim, what are you using? Is there a general
consensus on ease of installation, whatever, getting this p9 'look and
feel grafted on top of what version of Unix? Are there known problems
with (obviously) RedHat vs. whatever?

TIA,              - kim

BTW, Aharon/Arnold: I enjoyed your LJ articles enough that I'm
planning to get your AWK book just because I assume it will be well
written also.

* Re: 9term under Linux?
@ 1999-02-02  2:01 ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 1999-02-02  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chaotrope; +Cc: sam-fans

> 'editors' and  a 'TeX' directory. So I'm leaning toward BSD rather
> than Linux just because that indicates to me that these people are
> "thinking" along those lines.
>
> So my question is, e.g., Jim, what are you using? Is there a general
> consensus on ease of installation, whatever, getting this p9 'look and
> feel grafted on top of what version of Unix? Are there known problems
> with (obviously) RedHat vs. whatever?

Hi,

I'm using a heavily modified, stripped down, and generally munged
version of RedHat 5.0 here at work. At home I'm running a customized
Slackware 3.0 setup.

I've got a /usr/local/src/plan9 tree on the home machine which has
the source for 9menu 1.4, 9wm 1.2, es 0.90beta1, sam 4.3, 9term 1.6.6,
rc 1.5b2, and wily 0.13.41.  I've fiddled with the various make files
and source so that they all compile without any problem on my box. As
I recall, 9term is the hardest to compile. 9wm, 9menu, the editors,
and the shells compiled without any trouble. 9term now compiles, but it
does tend to give off quite a few "seems to be harmless" errors.

Oh yeah, all the little tools that wily comes with were a pain in the
ass to compile.  But I got win, and tools/shell/* to compile. So, if
people want to download entire 1.0 meg binaries and 2.9 meg source tree,
grab it from

		http://highwire.stanford.edu/~jimr/plan9/plan9.bin.tar.gz
		http://highwire.stanford.edu/~jimr/plan9/plan9.src.tar.gz

The only thing missing from the tars are the Xg unicode fonts. It doesn't
have a clear distribution-rights copyright statement, so I can't bundle
it in the archive.  I'm not even sure where I got them from originally,
so you'll have to hunt them up. =(

If you unarchive both from your root, they will go into

	/opt/plan9/^(bin doc lib man)

for the binaries, and

	/usr/local/src/plan9/^(9menu-1.4 9term-1.6.6 9wm-1.2 es-0.90beta1 rc-1.5b2 sam-4.3 wily-0.13.41)

for the source.

Jim

* Re: 9term under Linux?
@ 1999-02-03  7:19 Bengt Kleberg
From: Bengt Kleberg @ 1999-02-03  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cks, sam-fans

> 	- cks, who's lost count of how many Unixes he's made 9term run on

BSD too? My 9term for BSD does not work properly (unexplainable freezes
at times). May I look at your 9term, please?

Best Wishes, Bengt
Everything aforementioned should be regarded as totally private
opinions, and nothing else. bengt@softwell.se
``His great strength is that he is uncompromising. It would make
him physically ill to think of programming in C++.''

* Re: 9term under Linux?
@ 1999-02-02 20:41 Chris Siebenmann
From: Chris Siebenmann @ 1999-02-02 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

| So my question is, e.g., Jim, what are you using? Is there a general
| consensus on ease of installation, whatever, getting this p9 'look and
| feel grafted on top of what version of Unix? Are there known problems
| with (obviously) RedHat vs. whatever?

 I find that my version of 9term (it started out at 1.6.6 and grew) is
about equally easy to bring up on anything. The fiddling required is
usually to set up the V_* defines, almost always to not use TCSADRAIN,
and some functions that are prototyped in standard header files in ways
that clash with u.h et al.

 I have similar results for sam and rc (generally).

 They're all Unix. They all work.

@ 1999-02-02 19:11 ` Mark H. Wilkinson
From: Mark H. Wilkinson @ 1999-02-02 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bengt Kleberg, arnold, sam-fans

> > Has anyone got patches to 9term 1.6.6 for Linux?

> I have recreated my 9term with working hold mode and echoed input characters
> in rc.

> I have a patch (created with diff -Naur as per recommendation).
> _However_, there is a catch. I build 9term against 9libs, by Mark Wilkinson
> <mhw@kremvax.demon.co.uk>

> Ok? Anybody still wants the patch?

Me :-)

Bit of clarification here: 9libs is basically libXg and libframe with
an autoconf/automake/libtool build system. We (Bengt and I) have
versions of sam and wily which have compatible build systems. You can
build the whole source tree with the usual `configure;make;make install,'
even on Linux. 9term will come next...

I think that we're close to releasing what we have. More soon.

-Mark.

* Re: 9term under Linux?
@ 1999-02-02  6:49 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 1999-02-02  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chaotrope; +Cc: sam-fans

> I read some articles of Aharon's (Arnold's) in 1995 "Linux Journal"
> and had the old R. Pike 'sam' article, and have been 'window shopping'
> (where in this case 'window' has nothing to do with Microsoft) with
> the intent of maybe putting together some no name x86 system.
>
> So when I read here that Arnold has difficulties, I think, Maybe I'm
> over my head, if *HE* has problems, what am I going to run into?!

Don't be discouraged.  The patches I posted to sam-fans for 9term
do the trick. My problem with interrupts were 1) I forgot that 9term
uses DEL, not ^C, and 2) I was running es-0.84 in the 9term, not rc.
I will be switching to rc.

> So my question is, e.g., Jim, what are you using? Is there a general
> consensus on ease of installation, whatever, getting this p9 'look and
> feel grafted on top of what version of Unix? Are there known problems
> with (obviously) RedHat vs. whatever?

I sent bobf Make.linux files and diffs to u.h for linux so that will
be in the sam distribution soon. (Patches available on request, but
they're pretty easy to do on your own.) The patches I sent for 9term
1.6.6 seem to do the trick.

I am now happily running the 9wm/9term/9menu/sam/rc combination.
After 1.5 years without X, it's like having an old friend back. :-)

To answer your question, for my money, stick w/Linux.  (No, I don't want
to start a religious war.  To each his own, etc.)

> BTW, Aharon/Arnold: I enjoyed your LJ articles enough that I'm
> planning to get your AWK book just because I assume it will be well
> written also.

Thanks.  *I* think it's pretty good, but I'm sorta biased. OTOH, I
have yet to have anyone tell me it sucked... :-)

Arnold
--
Aharon (a.k.a. Arnold) Robbins		arnold@gnu.org
P.O. Box 354			Home Phone: +972  8 979-0381

* Re: 9term under Linux?
@ 1999-01-28 12:28 Bengt Kleberg
From: Bengt Kleberg @ 1999-01-28 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold, sam-fans

@ 1999-01-28 11:33 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 1999-01-28 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim.Robinson; +Cc: sam-fans

Me:

From: "James A. Robinson" <Jim.Robinson@Stanford.Edu>
> Yes, I have it working. As I recall, I had to nab a patch off the net.  A
> quick search gave this: http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/rsc/linux/9term.patch
> which I think is what I used.

This is for 1.6.3.  But it was enough to get me started.  After a whopping
5 minutes of testing, rc and hold mode work.  Here's a diff against
the 1.6.6 sources.  I can supply the makefile I used too, if anyone
wants it; the main thing is to define _POSIX_SOURCE and LINUX.

Now, to try restarting X with 9wm as the window manager...

Much thanks!

Arnold
--------------------------------
*** 9term.c.dist	Thu Sep 28 06:16:15 1995
--- 9term.c	Thu Jan 28 13:15:36 1999
***************
*** 10,16 ****
  #include <frame.h>
  #include <text.h>

! #ifdef SOLARIS
  #include <sys/termios.h>
  #else
  #include <sys/termio.h>
--- 10,16 ----
  #include <frame.h>
  #include <text.h>

! #if defined SOLARIS || defined LINUX
  #include <sys/termios.h>
  #else
  #include <sys/termio.h>
*** 9term.h.dist	Tue Nov 28 07:27:04 1995
--- 9term.h	Thu Jan 28 13:14:56 1999
***************
*** 30,35 ****
--- 30,39 ----
  extern int		echo;
  extern int		isig;

+ #if	defined(LINUX)
+ #define	setenv	p9term_setenv
+ #endif
+
  extern void		specialchars(int);
  extern int		setenv(char *, char *, int);
  extern void		init_display(int *, char **, char**, char*);
***************
*** 87,90 ****
--- 91,99 ----
  #if	defined(SOLARIS)
  #define	POSIXPTYS
  #define	REMOTE
+ #endif
+
+ #if	defined(LINUX)
+ #define POSIXPTYS
+ #define BSDPTYS
  #endif
*** display.c.dist	Thu Oct  5 09:55:54 1995
--- display.c	Thu Jan 28 13:10:28 1999
***************
*** 275,280 ****
--- 275,287 ----
  {
  	int width, height;

+ 	static int called=0;
+
+ 	if (called) {
+ 		/*fprintf(stderr, "ereshaped called twice\n");*/
+ 		return;
+ 	}
+ 	called = 1;
  	if (ninewm) {
  		/* work around textsetrects wierdness */
  		r = inset(r, -3);
***************
*** 286,291 ****
--- 293,299 ----
  		tty_set_size(comm_fd, width, height, Dx(text->r), Dy(text->r));
  		setborder();
  	}
+ 	called = 0;
  }

  /*
*** pty.c.dist	Tue Nov 28 07:30:45 1995
--- pty.c	Thu Jan 28 13:22:07 1999
***************
*** 60,73 ****
  #	define	V_FLUSH VFLUSH
  #endif

! #ifdef	linux
  #	define	V_START VSTART
  #	define	V_STOP VSTOP
  #	define	V_SUSP VSUSP
  #	define	V_DSUSP VDSUSP
  #	define	V_RPRNT VREPRINT
  #	define	V_WERAS VWERASE
- #	define	V_FLUSH VFLUSH
  #endif

  #ifdef	HPUX
--- 60,73 ----
  #	define	V_FLUSH VFLUSH
  #endif

! #ifdef	LINUX
! #include <pty.h>
  #	define	V_START VSTART
  #	define	V_STOP VSTOP
  #	define	V_SUSP VSUSP
  #	define	V_DSUSP VDSUSP
  #	define	V_RPRNT VREPRINT
  #	define	V_WERAS VWERASE
  #endif

  #ifdef	HPUX
***************
*** 304,309 ****
--- 304,312 ----
  		ttmode.c_lflag |= ECHO;
  		ttmode.c_oflag &= ~(ONLCR);
  		ttmode.c_oflag |= ONLRET;
+ #ifdef	LINUX
+ 		ttmode.c_lflag |= ICANON;
+ #endif
  	} else {
  		ttmode.c_iflag = BRKINT | IGNPAR | ICRNL | IXON;
  		ttmode.c_oflag = OPOST | ONLRET;
--

@ 1999-01-28  7:45 Bengt Kleberg
From: Bengt Kleberg @ 1999-01-28  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold, sam-fans

> Has anyone got patches to 9term 1.6.6 for Linux?  I have it built, but
> hold mode isn't working.  And with the latest rc as the shell,
> input characters are not echoed.

I have a 9term that works under Linux. Both hold mode and latest rc.
Unfortunatly I do not remember how I built it!

If nobody else steps forward with the right thing I could try and find out.

@ 1999-01-27 22:24 ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 1999-01-27 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aharon Robbins; +Cc: sam-fans

> I know this has come up before, but I don't remember the answers...
> Has anyone got patches to 9term 1.6.6 for Linux?  I have it built, but
> hold mode isn't working.  And with the latest rc as the shell,
> input characters are not echoed.
>
> I'm using Redhat 5.2, if that matters.

Yes, I have it working. As I recall, I had to nab a patch off the net.  A
quick search gave this: http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/rsc/linux/9term.patch
which I think is what I used.

I've got 9term, 9wm, 9menu, wily, sam, and rc working on my system. I
really love the interface! =)

Jim

* 9term under Linux?
@ 1999-01-26 15:35 Aharon Robbins