sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* sam-9libs vs. Linux (RH 6.0)
@ 2000-03-27 13:52 Jim Crigler
From: Jim Crigler @ 2000-03-27 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

Hmmm ... I asked this on comp.editors a couple of
weeks
ago, and was pointed here as a place to subscribe for
real sam help.  Under RedHat 6.0 I can run sam -d
fine,
but when I attempt to start the "gui" version, samterm
shows up and then disappears.  The sam process then
dies with a "broken pipe" message.

Where can I go from here?

BTW, sam works on Solaris (at work) with no problems
at all.
--
Jim Crigler

http://im.yahoo.com

* Re: sam-9libs vs. Linux (RH 6.0)
@ 2000-03-28 18:15 Jim Crigler
From: Jim Crigler @ 2000-03-28 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jim.robinson; +Cc: sam-fans

--- "Jim Robinson" <jim.robinson@stanford.edu> wrote:
> > Hmmm ... I asked this on comp.editors a couple of
> weeks ago, and was
> > pointed here as a place to subscribe for real sam
> help.  Under RedHat
> > 6.0 I can run sam -d fine, but when I attempt to
> start the "gui" version,
> > samterm shows up and then disappears.  The sam
> process then dies with a
> > "broken pipe" message.
>
> I think I responded to your post in Usenet, but in
> case
> you didn't see it: check your color depth. I found
> that
> samterm had problems with (I think) 24 bit depth.
>
> I normally use 16, and that works fine. I think 32
> should also work.  Try running 'xwininfo' and
> clicking
> on the root window to see what depth it is running
> at.

16-bit X works, thanks.  Neither 24 nor 32 works,
however.  Is this likely to be a libXg problem or
something in samterm per se?
--
Another Jim

http://im.yahoo.com

* Re: sam-9libs vs. Linux (RH 6.0)
@ 2000-03-29  4:12 Jim Crigler
From: Jim Crigler @ 2000-03-29  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Neri, jim.robinson; +Cc: sam-fans

> "James A. Robinson" <jim.robinson@stanford.edu>
> writes:
>
> > I seem to recall it was a libXg problem. Someone
> explained that part of
> > the code expects the depth to be have some
> properties that don't apply
> > to 24bit depth (or, I guess, 32bit). I'm sorry
> that I don't remember
> > the details.
>
> FWIW, sam(term) works fine for me at 24bit depth
> (running on
> OpenBSD/i386 and XFree86 3.3.5). Though this is
> "plain sam", not based
> on 9libs.

Hmm ... I compiled sam-9libs at the same time as
wily-9libs,
and wily seems to have no problem (modulo not getting
caps lock when
it's pressed under wily).
--
Jim Crigler