sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
From: steve@cegelecproj.co.uk (Steve_Kilbane)
To: sam-fans@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: Re: (click) undo
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 04:27:43 -0400	[thread overview]

> indeed, i undo with some frequency, and a good  portion of those undoes
> are necessiated outside the sam window, which means going back and forth
> between the sam window and the current window.

I'm not sure what you mean by this - in my experience, undo is done in the
following circumstances:
	- as part of a cmd-u-cmd-u sequence, as i try to get the cmd *just*
	right.
	- in a long sequence of u,u,u,u... as i decide that what i've done for
	the last ten minutes is the wrong tack
	- just once, because i'm forgotten to change the focus before typing.

I don't see that there's a great need for repetition that justifies changing
both menu and protocol. The nearest case I can think of is application of the
second case (lots of undos), where it's necessary to scroll the target window
to see how much of the sequence you've unwound. However, the fault here is in
samterm - it should scroll to display dot after an undo. 'Course, that's
another can of worms, because samterm doesn't know it's an undo...

> i cannot however use my own
> odd editing activities as a basis good design, and i also think that there
> may be more than one design issue involved here. i still wonder what other
> sam-fans think.

as i've mentioned before, I think the command language is lacking in the
areas of snarfing, cutting and pasting - i've tried to emulate them with
copies to a scratch window, but i almost always run up against "?addresses
out of order" (or whatever it is). I don't know whether there's a solid
reason for their absence, or just original preference. rob?

steve