sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* acme for X?
@ 1994-12-06 21:22 Bill Trost
From: Bill Trost @ 1994-12-06 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, sam-fans

[Sorry for the posting to multiple lists, but someone suggested this
would be the best place to look for an answer to my question.]

Does anyone know if there's been an implementation of acme for X?
Acme, you'll recall, is a "programming environment" (I guess that's
the right word) that Rob Pike implemented for Plan 9 and described in
a USENIX paper.  I've had a chance to play with it a bit under Plan 9,
and it's just an amazingly wonderful interface.

In any event, I'd be interested if anyone has, is, or was working on
such a thing.  I'd rather not have to try to implement it myself, but
if nothing materializes, I might just have to....

[parent not found: <94Dec6.171159est.295241@psuvax1.cse.psu.edu>]
* Re: acme for X?
@ 1994-12-07 11:11 pete
From: pete @ 1994-12-07 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: plan9-fans, sam-fans, schwartz

Scott says:

>Anyone who is interested in acme should take a look at Oberon, the
>system that inspired it.  Wirth has written a book and a number of
>papers about it.  You can ftp it from neptune.inf.ethz.ch; they have
>binaries for sparc and some other systems.

I'd agree with this -- Oberon is an interesting and very slick system which
is well worth investigating -- anything that manages to pack a GUI, word
processor, compiler, drawing program, mail tool, paint program, terminal
emulator and so on into a few meg is _very_ impressive..

>Anyway, the system is amazingly efficient and elegant.  Everyone I've
>shown it to has said "Wow.", so go check it out while we're waiting
>for the next Plan 9 cd to arrive.

Yes, Oberon is elegant, but not in the same way that Help and Acme are --
it's hard to create ``ad hoc'' tools in Oberon without a fair bit of
programming... It's a nice environment for building and documenting
Oberon programs but I wouldn't want to spend all day in it!

pete
--
 Peter Fenelon - Research Associate - High Integrity Systems Engineering Group,
 Dept. of Computer Science, University of York, York, Y01 5DD +44 (0)904 433388