* OpenVPN runit service flooding tty
       [not found] <CAH5fFJp+rKgj2CUdeTiKdijWFzRKa4O8HG-Qw-0D=xojPCWEew@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2023-12-03 21:22 ` Mr Rini
From: Mr Rini @ 2023-12-03 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

Hi, I am using the Artix Linux runit service for OpenVPN, available here:
https://gitea.artixlinux.org/packages/openvpn-runit
However, at boot time the service is throwing a huge output to the tty and
I have to wait it to finish to get to the login prompt (I'm not using a
display manager). As a temporary dirty workaround I have appended the
--syslog option to the exec command, the output being redirected to the
system logger. Is there a cleaner way to change the default behavior?
thanks in advance.

* Re: OpenVPN runit service flooding tty
@ 2023-12-04  0:40   ` Laurent Bercot
From: Laurent Bercot @ 2023-12-04  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mr Rini, supervision

>Hi, I am using the Artix Linux runit service for OpenVPN, available here:
>https://gitea.artixlinux.org/packages/openvpn-runit

  Sounds like two compounding problems:
  1. the default logging place for the runit supervision tree is the same
terminal you're using to log in
  2. there is no dedicated logger for the openvpn service.

  IIRC, 1. is intrinsic to runit, there is no way to redirect the default
logging, and that means your console is at the mercy of verbose services
-
so every service needs a dedicated logger.
  You can use --syslog as a workaround indeed, but 2. should be fixed: a
runit service should use the runit logging facility. That is something
you should report and suggest to the maintainer of the openvpn service
in Artix.

--
  Laurent

* Re: OpenVPN runit service flooding tty
@ 2023-12-05  7:29     ` Jan Braun
From: Jan Braun @ 2023-12-05  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Bercot; +Cc: Mr Rini, supervision