From: "Laurent Bercot" <ska-supervision@skarnet.org>
To: supervision@list.skarnet.org
Subject: Re: Generic interrupt command?
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2019 09:07:31 +0000	[thread overview]

>I think a cool addition to runit program sv and s6's s6-svc would be a
>command to send an arbitrary signal to the daemon being supervised.

Yes, that would be a nice feature. I've been thinking about it for
some time.
Unfortunately, that's not at all suited to the way the control
program communicates with the supervisor, and adding this feature,
as simple as it seems, would require significant work.

There is probably a (dirty, hackish) way to make it work with
normal signals (<128). But there's absolutely no way to ever make it
work with real-time signals or anything with a signal number over 128
without rewriting the supervisor state machine and making it more
complex and more brittle. Which is an instant nope from me.

Restricting the feature to normal signals would probably be enough,
but even then, I'm not comfortable with the level of hackiness it
would require. I don't think the feature is worth it; I'd rather add
more signals to the explicitly supported list.

--
Laurent