* Mailing-lists, failing probes, unsubscriptions
@ 2017-11-30 22:53 Laurent Bercot
From: Laurent Bercot @ 2017-11-30 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: skaware-cfaJnhaL+FNC7f45DRzWBg, supervision-cfaJnhaL+FNC7f45DRzWBg

  Hello,
  The skarnet.org mailing-lists use a probing system to automatically
unsubscribe addresses that don't work anymore. When an address fails
3 consecutive times, it gets removed.

  In the past year, or sometimes at an older time than that, a lot of
addresses have apparently failed enough probes and been unsubscribed,
even still working addresses. Only today was it brought to my
attention.

  I have manually resubscribed all addresses that got removed because
of a probe. If they keep failing, either they don't work and their
being removed again won't be a problem, or there's something more
serious going on and I'll have to investigate what's happening.
If you don't want to be on the mailing-lists anymore, please
unsubscribe manually.

  Sorry for the inconvenience.

  Please check whether you have missed something in the archives at
mail-archive.com:
  https://www.mail-archive.com/skaware-cfaJnhaL+FNC7f45DRzWBg@public.gmane.org/
or
  https://www.mail-archive.com/supervision-cfaJnhaL+FNC7f45DRzWBg@public.gmane.org/

--
  Laurent

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2017-11-30 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Bercot, skaware, supervision

On Thu 2017-11-30 22:53:55 +0000, Laurent Bercot wrote:
>   In the past year, or sometimes at an older time than that, a lot of
> addresses have apparently failed enough probes and been unsubscribed,
> even still working addresses. Only today was it brought to my
> attention.

This kind of mass unsubscription is often due to DMARC.

please see:

   https://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC

for a description of how the mailman folks describe the problem and how
they deal with it.

I think the skarnet lists are probably running ezmlm, i don't know that
toolchain well enough to suggest a way to resolve the issue.

    --dkg

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Mailing-lists, failing probes, unsubscriptions
@ 2017-12-01  6:58   ` Laurent Bercot
From: Laurent Bercot @ 2017-12-01  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: skaware, supervision

>This kind of mass unsubscription is often due to DMARC.

  Ah, thanks. Time for me to understand how DMARC works, then, and make
ezmlm work with it.
  Sigh. E-mail gets more and more broken every year; soon it will just
become impossible to run a list.

--
  Laurent