* Building lh-bootstrap-master
@ 2024-04-26 11:30 ImNotPC
From: ImNotPC @ 2024-04-26 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

Hey Group,

I'm attempting to build lh-bootstrap-master but make is complaining:

make: unrecognized option '--jobserver-style=pipe'

Indeed, my version of make doesn't have the --jobserver-style option. If
I remove the reference to --jobserver-style option from ./make the
package builds without any obvious errors but doesn't appear to be a
complete build. My make is GNU Make 4.3 running on a Mageia 8 system. Do
I need to downgrade make? Any suggestions?

Jeff

* Re: Building lh-bootstrap-master
@ 2024-04-26 11:53 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2024-04-26 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ImNotPC; +Cc: supervision

ImNotPC <imnotpc@Rock3d.net> writes:

> I'm attempting to build lh-bootstrap-master but make is
> complaining:
>
> make: unrecognized option '--jobserver-style=pipe'
>
> Indeed, my version of make doesn't have the --jobserver-style
> option. If I remove the reference to --jobserver-style option
> from ./make the package builds without any obvious errors but
> doesn't appear to be a complete build. My make is GNU Make 4.3
> running on a Mageia 8 system. Do I need to downgrade make? Any
> suggestions?

i take it you mean "_upgrade_ make"? According to the GNU Make
ChangeLog, the `--jobserver-style` option was added on 2022-08-02,
whereas 4.3 was released in January 2020, and 4.4 was released in
October 2022.

Alexis.

* Re: Building lh-bootstrap-master
@ 2024-04-26 12:11 ` Laurent Bercot
From: Laurent Bercot @ 2024-04-26 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

>Indeed, my version of make doesn't have the --jobserver-style option. If I remove the reference to --jobserver-style option from ./make the package builds without any obvious errors but doesn't appear to be a complete build.

  Yeah, for some reason parallel builds weren't fully working before
this option (I knew more when I debugged this but I've since
forgotten). I don't think I realized the option was so recent.
As Alexis says, your best choice is to use GNU Make 4.4, but if
you cannot, the workaround is not to use any -j option to make,
which should eventually, very slowly, get you a complete build.

--
  Laurent

* Re: Building lh-bootstrap-master
@ 2024-04-26 16:34   ` ImNotPC
From: ImNotPC @ 2024-04-26 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

On 4/26/24 07:53, Alexis wrote:
> ImNotPC <imnotpc@Rock3d.net> writes:
>
>> I'm attempting to build lh-bootstrap-master but make is complaining:
>>
>> make: unrecognized option '--jobserver-style=pipe'
>>
>> Indeed, my version of make doesn't have the --jobserver-style option.
>> If I remove the reference to --jobserver-style option from ./make the
>> package builds without any obvious errors but doesn't appear to be a
>> complete build. My make is GNU Make 4.3 running on a Mageia 8 system.
>> Do I need to downgrade make? Any suggestions?
>
> i take it you mean "_upgrade_ make"? According to the GNU Make
> ChangeLog, the `--jobserver-style` option was added on 2022-08-02,
> whereas 4.3 was released in January 2020, and 4.4 was released in
> October 2022.
>

> Alexis.

Ahhh. The docs said make later than 3.81 so I assumed the option had
been removed since then and I needed to downgrade. I can easily build
the newer make so I'll do that and try again.

Thanks,

@ 2024-04-28  9:40     ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2024-04-28  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision; +Cc: ImNotPC

ImNotPC <imnotpc@Rock3d.net> writes:

> Ahhh. The docs said make later than 3.81 so I assumed the option
> had been removed since then and I needed to downgrade.

Laurent,

Should the lh-bootstrap README be changed so that:

> GNU make, version 3.81 or later

is replaced by something like:

> GNU make, version 3.81 or later. Versions prior to 4.4, released
> in October 2022, don't have the `--jobserver-style` option
> available; in these cases, avoid using the `-j` option, to allow
> (slow) building.

Alexis.

* Re: Building lh-bootstrap-master
@ 2024-04-29 13:06       ` Laurent Bercot
From: Laurent Bercot @ 2024-04-29 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

>Should the lh-bootstrap README be changed so that:

  Yes, I updated the README.md, good point.