The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] This is too weird
@ 2003-06-10 18:49 Kenneth Stailey
From: Kenneth Stailey @ 2003-06-10 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.sco.com/scosource/

Way to weird:

http://www.sco.com/scosource/linuxqanda.html

Q: What is SVR6?
A: SVR6 is the code name for the next-generation operating platform designed to
take advantage of Web services and is the foundation of our SCOx strategy. As
the owners of the UNIX operating system, it is incumbent upon SCO to advance
the UNIX kernel for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. This will be
accomplished through the support of key industry partners who will also
contribute to this next-generation platform. SVR6 will be formally announced at
our upcoming SCO Forum event to be held in Las Vegas, Nevada on August 17-19 at
the MGM Grand Hotel.

It just keeps getting weirder:

http://www.sco.com/scosource/unixtree/unixhistory01.html

http://calendar.yahoo.com

* [TUHS] This is too weird
@ 2003-06-10 19:16 ` Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai
From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai @ 2003-06-10 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

-On [20030610 21:02], Kenneth Stailey (kstailey at yahoo.com) wrote:
>http://www.sco.com/scosource/linuxqanda.html
>
>Q: What is SVR6?
>A: SVR6 is the code name for the next-generation operating platform designed to
>take advantage of Web services and is the foundation of our SCOx strategy. As
>the owners of the UNIX operating system, it is incumbent upon SCO to advance
>the UNIX kernel for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. This will be
>accomplished through the support of key industry partners who will also
>contribute to this next-generation platform. SVR6 will be formally announced at
>our upcoming SCO Forum event to be held in Las Vegas, Nevada on August 17-19 at
>the MGM Grand Hotel.

OK, I am trying to maintain a neutral stance to SCO, even though they're
making it hard to do, but why does the above sound to me like trying to
get extra ammo they can use in court?  I mean I can already envision the
way the talks will go: "But your honour, we are heavily dependent on our
source code, since we are planning to unveil the SVR6 product in August
and the things which happened with IBM and Linux put our plans in
jeopardy..."

>It just keeps getting weirder:
>
>http://www.sco.com/scosource/unixtree/unixhistory01.html

Ohh, now I get it.  Where on earth do they get the SCO Linux pedigree
and heritage from?  I very much doubt that Linus was doing stuff based
on SCO.  (Hey, everyone with a bit of clue of what happened knows it was
based upon Minix, sort of, but definately not SCO stuff.)

I seriously, seriously wonder where this is leading to.  The USA does
not have the best track record where it comes to sensible court rulings,
but if they have any Unix expert present he can refute a lot of the
so-called claims SCO is making.

This reminds me a lot of U-571, where Hollywood rewrote part of the real
world history for storyline sake.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(at)wxs.nl> / asmodai / a capoeirista
PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B

* [TUHS] This is too weird
@ 2003-06-10 20:15   ` Paul Ward
From: Paul Ward @ 2003-06-10 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

JRa> -On [20030610 21:02], Kenneth Stailey (kstailey at yahoo.com) wrote:

>>http://www.sco.com/scosource/unixtree/unixhistory01.html

JRa> Ohh, now I get it.  Where on earth do they get the SCO Linux pedigree
JRa> and heritage from?  I very much doubt that Linus was doing stuff based
JRa> on SCO.  (Hey, everyone with a bit of clue of what happened knows it was
JRa> based upon Minix, sort of, but definately not SCO stuff.)

Looks like the average marketing droid stuff... I like the way SCO
appear to not want anything to do with kernels 2.0.x, 2.2.x, 2.3.x or 2.5.x
even though that graph clearly shows UnixWare getting "contributions"
from the Linux 2.2.x tree - case of someone being too quick with the
highlight methinks.

And, with all this SCO talk about SVR6 and about how good SCO UNIX is..
how come OpenServer feels very antiquated, and UnixWare very trashy
and amateur?

meep, another "asmodai" :)

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:asmodai at ao.mine.nu

* [TUHS] This is too weird
@ 2003-06-10 20:38     ` Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai
From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai @ 2003-06-10 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

-On [20030610 22:32], Paul Ward (asmodai at ao.mine.nu) wrote:
>meep, another "asmodai" :)

*grin*

Been using the nick for a long while now even...  Think I must be
getting close to a 10 year anniversary or so. :)

> Paul                            mailto:asmodai at ao.mine.nu
                                                 ^^-> Forgotten Realms
						 by chance?
--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(at)wxs.nl> / asmodai / a capoeirista
PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/~asmodai/diary/
And your ways appear a total lack of Faith...

* [TUHS] This is too weird
@ 2003-06-10 20:39     ` Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai
From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai @ 2003-06-10 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ships,

sorry about that, seems mutt picked up a MUA follow-up to header and I
didn't notice, because I relied on `r' just being a normal reply. :(

Again, apologies.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(at)wxs.nl> / asmodai / a capoeirista
PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/~asmodai/diary/
Hope is the last refuge for mad men and dreamers...

* [TUHS] This is too weird
@ 2003-06-10 22:24 ` Warren Toomey
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2003-06-10 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:49:05AM -0700, Kenneth Stailey wrote:
> It just keeps getting weirder:
> http://www.sco.com/scosource/unixtree/unixhistory01.html

Well, if SCO is claiming intellecutal property rights to Linux, why
are they intimating that they will sue Linus?

This is becoming an alternate reality.

	Warren

* [TUHS] This is too weird
@ 2003-06-10 22:57   ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-06-10 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again from Gregg C Levine
Folks it become an alternate reality, when SCO started the lawsuit. As
far as I can see, and this is based on watching these posts, and
others, on a different list, SCO is having problems. For example, they
were not at LWE this past January, however, they were present last
year, and for the few years that I've been going. I suspect that the
company is having a bad time this time period and faked up the lawsuit
to make up for that. And that's only my opinions.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

* [TUHS] This is too weird
@ 2003-06-11  1:19   ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2003-06-11  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, 11 June 2003 at  8:24:21 +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:49:05AM -0700, Kenneth Stailey wrote:
>> It just keeps getting weirder:
>> http://www.sco.com/scosource/unixtree/unixhistory01.html
>
> Well, if SCO is claiming intellecutal property rights to Linux, why
> are they intimating that they will sue Linus?

I think that that was a slip of the tongue.  At any rate, I don't
think they have any intention of suing Linus.  Maybe it's part of a
FUD campaign.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:49:05AM -0700, Kenneth Stailey wrote:
> > It just keeps getting weirder:
> > http://www.sco.com/scosource/unixtree/unixhistory01.html
>
> Well, if SCO is claiming intellecutal property rights to Linux, why
> are they intimating that they will sue Linus?
>
> This is becoming an alternate reality.
>
> 	Warren

When we find out that there's SCO code in Cygwin call me. ;)

The chart is a good way to confuse things.  The poor guy that made the original
must be crying that he let SCO use it years ago.

The part that confuses me is that I remember there were dotted lines one on the
original UNIX history chart that showed non-source-code-copying influences and
now even the real UNIX history chart is using only solid lines.  It makes MINIX
look like it has 7th Ed code in it instead of just being a 7th Ed API
implementation from scratch like it is.

That's the part that's really on drugs by the time SCO is using it as evidence
that there is a Linux pedigree or whatever that connects 7th Ed to Linux.

I think the real story is that they want to make as much press as they can
since it boosts their stock.

Meanwhile every time they say they own UNIX they are complete liars because:

> http://www.sco.com/scosource/linuxqanda.html
>
> As the owners of the UNIX operating system, it is incumbent upon SCO to

To what?  Violate their agreements with The Open Group?

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/05/23/1053585678840.html

"Reference to the SCO web site shows that they own certain intellectual
property and that they correctly attribute the trademark to The Open Group.
SCO has never owned "UNIX".  SCO is licensed to use the registered trademark
UNIX "on and in connection" with their products that have been certified by The
Open Group, as are all other licensees," the statement said.

"These are the only circumstances in which a licensee may use the trademark
UNIX on and in connection with its products.  Statements that SCO 'owns the
UNIX operating system', has 'licensed UNIX to XYZ' are clearly inaccurate and
misleading."

http://calendar.yahoo.com

* [TUHS] This is too weird
@ 2003-06-11  6:10     ` Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai
From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai @ 2003-06-11  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

-On [20030611 03:46], Greg Lehey (grog at lemis.com) wrote:
>I think that that was a slip of the tongue.  At any rate, I don't
>think they have any intention of suing Linus.  Maybe it's part of a
>FUD campaign.

Not sure if you guys noticed that, but they pulled Caldera Linux off of
their FTP site.

I seriously wonder if there are any normal people with a sane mind there
at SCO.

I mean, it is so different from their previous antics in which they even
allowed the old source code of the Unixes without any problems.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(at)wxs.nl> / asmodai / a capoeirista
PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/~asmodai/diary/
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...

* [TUHS] This is too weird
@ 2003-06-11  6:18       ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2003-06-11  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, 11 June 2003 at  8:10:10 +0200, Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
> -On [20030611 03:46], Greg Lehey (grog at lemis.com) wrote:
>> I think that that was a slip of the tongue.  At any rate, I don't
>> think they have any intention of suing Linus.  Maybe it's part of a
>> FUD campaign.
>
> Not sure if you guys noticed that, but they pulled Caldera Linux off of
> their FTP site.

Definitely.  They made a statement about it with the claim that they
can't justify distributing it.  My take is that they weren't making
any money with it.

> I seriously wonder if there are any normal people with a sane mind
> there at SCO.

I'm sure most are.  But they don't want to get fired.

> I mean, it is so different from their previous antics in which they
> even allowed the old source code of the Unixes without any problems.

Indeed.  I have an ongoing analysis page at
http://www.lemis.com/grog/sco.html which addresses most of these
issues.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key
From: Wesley Parish @ 2003-06-11 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

And Coherent!

No, SCO has lost it, and lost all chance of ever regaining the trust of anyone
with the barest skerrick of knowledge of Unix history.

I checked out an interesting web site:
http://www.robotwisdom.com/linux/nonnix.html
I had no idea that cloning Unix had gotten off to such an early start - Idris
from Plauger et al., Cromix from Cromemco, Yourdon's Omnix, Oasis, etc.

SCO hasn't got a leg to stand on - on the other hand, are those toenails I see
stuck in its teeth?

Wesley Parish

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:02, Kenneth Stailey wrote:
> --- Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:49:05AM -0700, Kenneth Stailey wrote:
> > > It just keeps getting weirder:
> > > http://www.sco.com/scosource/unixtree/unixhistory01.html
> >
> > Well, if SCO is claiming intellecutal property rights to Linux, why
> > are they intimating that they will sue Linus?
> >
> > This is becoming an alternate reality.
> >
> > 	Warren
>
> When we find out that there's SCO code in Cygwin call me. ;)
>
> The chart is a good way to confuse things.  The poor guy that made the
> original must be crying that he let SCO use it years ago.
>
> The part that confuses me is that I remember there were dotted lines one on
> the original UNIX history chart that showed non-source-code-copying
> influences and now even the real UNIX history chart is using only solid
> lines.  It makes MINIX look like it has 7th Ed code in it instead of just
> being a 7th Ed API implementation from scratch like it is.
>
> That's the part that's really on drugs by the time SCO is using it as
> evidence that there is a Linux pedigree or whatever that connects 7th Ed to
> Linux.
>
> I think the real story is that they want to make as much press as they can
> since it boosts their stock.
>
> Meanwhile every time they say they own UNIX they are complete liars because:
> > http://www.sco.com/scosource/linuxqanda.html
> >
> > As the owners of the UNIX operating system, it is incumbent upon SCO to
>
> To what?  Violate their agreements with The Open Group?
>
> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/05/23/1053585678840.html
>
> "Reference to the SCO web site shows that they own certain intellectual
> property and that they correctly attribute the trademark to The Open Group.
> SCO has never owned "UNIX".  SCO is licensed to use the registered
> trademark UNIX "on and in connection" with their products that have been
> certified by The Open Group, as are all other licensees," the statement
> said.
>
> "These are the only circumstances in which a licensee may use the trademark
> UNIX on and in connection with its products.  Statements that SCO 'owns the
> UNIX operating system', has 'licensed UNIX to XYZ' are clearly inaccurate
> and misleading."

Mau e ki, "He aha te mea nui?"
You ask, "What is the most important thing?"
Maku e ki, "He tangata, he tangata, he tangata."
I reply, "It is people, it is people, it is people."

* [TUHS] This is too weird
@ 2003-06-11 17:17       ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-06-11 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)