The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] SCO sues IBM?
@ 2003-03-10  1:21 Greg 'groggy' Lehey
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2003-03-10  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm sure I'm not the only person who sees SCO's recent legal
activities with dismay.  For those of you still looking for facts,
take a look at the links off http://www.sco.com/scosource/, and
particularly the complaint at
http://www.sco.com/scosource/complaint3.06.03.html.  There are a
number of things there which concern me, but particularly:

   85.  For example, Linux is currently capable of coordinating the
        simultaneous performance of 4 computer processors.  UNIX, on
        the other hand, commonly links 16 processors and can
        successfully link up to 32 processors for simultaneous
        operation.  This difference in memory management performance
        is very significant to enterprise customers who need extremely
        high computing capabilities for complex tasks.  The ability to
        accomplish this task successfully has taken AT&T, Novell and
        SCO at least 20 years, with access to expensive equipment for
        design and testing, well-trained UNIX engineers and a wealth
        of experience in UNIX methods and concepts.

Apart from the fact that I can't see any factual evidence that System
V as licensed from SCO or its predecessors had any competitive SMP
scalability, the "20 years" concerns me.  That could go back to the
days of the Seventh Edition.

Which brings me to the real point: a little over a year ago, we
received a message from Dion Johnson releasing Ancient UNIX under a
BSD licence.  For those of you who have misplaced it, I'm attaching it
again.  While none of us doubt that it is genuine, SCO has no record
of it on their web site, nor (as far as I know) do any of us have this
in signed form.  In view of SCO's aggression, I think we should
contact them and ask them to at least put the statement somewhere on
their web site.

Comments?

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key
From: Wesley Parish @ 2003-03-10 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, the impression I got from IBM re: AIX and Linux's relationship, was that
they were going to give AIX a Linux makeover so that they could maintain an
apparently unified Un*xish shop - as far as AIX and Linux _are_ Un*ces, that
is!

How that gets interpreted as importing Un*x trade secrets into Linux, I have
no idea.

I also thought IBM was going to allow some of their mainframe high
availability ideas to influence Linux - not through direct porting of the
code - VM/ESA is apparently written in PL/I, and I doubt that most Linux
programmers would touch that with a barge-pole.  And a waldo at a workplace
on a planet on the other side of the galaxy.  Or universe.

I myself wanted to get some information on the internal structure - ie, the
part that gets passed between the SFS client and the Reusable Kernel Server -
of the VM/ESA Shared File System way back when, and was told in no uncertain
terms, not to bother trying.

I don't see SCO has much chance of doing anything except causing a bit of
unwelcome disruption and - I hope - getting bought out at bargain basement
prices by IBM and getting the entire Un*x source tree BSDed or LGPLed to stop
all this useless nonsense at the "source".  Or at the "sauce", to give it a
rather appropriate spin.

Wesley Parish

<snip>

--
Mau e ki, "He aha te mea nui?"
You ask, "What is the most important thing?"

* [TUHS] SCO sues IBM?
@ 2003-03-11  5:25 Dennis Ritchie
From: Dennis Ritchie @ 2003-03-11  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

A working link to the ancient-Unix license exists at

  http://shop.caldera.com/caldera/ancient.html

This is a saved link; I didn't investigate how
to find it currently from a Caldera or SCO site.

In case anyone is interested, I retrieved
some fraction of the court papers from
the early 90s USL suit against BSDI and UCB.
The case seems in some ways similar to this
one.  They are at

 http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/bsdi/bsdisuit.html

In this one, USL pulled back after an injunction
was denied.  By the time the 1993 ruling was issued,
USL was being taken over by Novell.

	Dennis