The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-07 18:22 Carl Lowenstein
From: Carl Lowenstein @ 2004-04-07 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:53:26 +0100
> From: "Wells, Richard" <rwells at impaq.co.uk>
> To: "Lars Brinkhoff" <lars at nocrew.org>
>
> IMHO it's very good reading / learning.
>
> I couldn't buy the book when I last tried (about a year ago) - I think
> it was out of print.. I did manage to find it all on the web though.
>
> Richard Wells

It was last time I looked.  Today I seem to have misplaced my copy.
Just checked AddAll book search, the reprint of the Lions book has
become a rare collectable, and is selling for about $100.  Oh, well,
somebody bid a VT100 up to $355 yesterday.

    carl

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-07 18:42   ` M. Warner Losh
From: M. Warner Losh @ 2004-04-07 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message: <Pine.LNX.4.44.0404071153290.26120-100000 at gladen>
            Andru Luvisi <luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu> writes:
: Some people mentioned it being out of print.  I was wondering, has anyone
: tried purchasing it from
:
:     http://www.peer-to-peer.com/catalog/opsrc/lions.html
:
: They don't seem to have any indication on the web site that it is out of
: print, and they have a link to it from their home page
: (http://www.peer-to-peer.com/).

it was out of print for a while, but was republished a few years
ago...  I have both copies and can tell you that the republished
version is true to the original.

Warner

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-07 18:55 ` Andru Luvisi
From: Andru Luvisi @ 2004-04-07 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some people mentioned it being out of print.  I was wondering, has anyone
tried purchasing it from

    http://www.peer-to-peer.com/catalog/opsrc/lions.html

They don't seem to have any indication on the web site that it is out of
print, and they have a link to it from their home page
(http://www.peer-to-peer.com/).

Andru
--
Andru Luvisi

Quote Of The Moment:
  "Taking the envelope and pencil in his otherwise empty hands, the
  medium feels it, stares into space, grunts, foams at the mouth, and
  otherwise becomes very psychic."
  	- Theodore Annemann

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-12 14:46   ` Eric Wayte
From: Eric Wayte @ 2004-04-12 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried a few months ago and it is no longer available from them.  They
suggested I try used book web pages.  There is a copy available on
half.com as of this writing for around $100.

Eric Wayte
Sr. DBA
Univ. of Central Florida
ewayte at pegasus.cc.ucf.edu

@ 2004-04-13 22:35     ` Mirian Crzig Lennox
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox @ 2004-04-13 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

ewayte at pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Eric Wayte) writes:
> I tried a few months ago and it is no longer available from them.  They
> suggested I try used book web pages.  There is a copy available on
> half.com as of this writing for around $100.

Wow.

Time to start Xeroxing it again...  :)

cheers,
Mirian

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-13 23:17       ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2004-04-13 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, 13 April 2004 at 18:35:02 -0400, Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:
> ewayte at pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Eric Wayte) writes:
>> I tried a few months ago and it is no longer available from them.  They
>> suggested I try used book web pages.  There is a copy available on
>> half.com as of this writing for around $100.
>
> Wow.
>
> Time to start Xeroxing it again...  :)

Somewhere I had a TeX source file of it that went round
alt.folklore.computers about ten years ago.  I took a brief look
yesterday but couldn't find it.  If I try harder, there's a good
chance that I will.  Would anybody be interested?

Greg
--
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
From: Tim Shoppa @ 2004-04-14  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Lions book]
> Wow. Time to start Xeroxing it again...  :)

Latex source to the book was posted to alt.folklore.computers circa
1994.  I'm guessing that the poster (a "Leo") typed it in by hand
given the comments that came with the readme.

Tim.

* [TUHS] Lions book (was: Booting v6)
@ 2004-04-14  0:16         ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2004-04-14  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, 13 April 2004 at 20:06:43 -0400, Tim Shoppa wrote:
> [Lions book]
>> Wow. Time to start Xeroxing it again...  :)
>
> Latex source to the book was posted to alt.folklore.computers circa
> 1994.  I'm guessing that the poster (a "Leo") typed it in by hand
> given the comments that came with the readme.

Yes, that's the one I got.  From memory, the subject was "Leo's notes"
and it was uuencoded or some such.  Strangely, not many people got it.

Do you still have the text?  I haven't found mine yet, but a number of
people have expressed interest.

Greg
--
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
From: Maciek Bieszczad @ 2004-04-14  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can download PostScript and PDF versions of the Lions book here:

http://morris.xsdeny.net/data/docs/unix/lionc.ps
http://morris.xsdeny.net/data/docs/unix/lionc.pdf

You can also view Google's rendition here:

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:www.upl.cs.wisc.edu/~epaulson/lionc
.ps

In my opinion, the LaTeX version would still be interesting. The
previously mentioned files themselves were probably produced from that
source.

* [TUHS] Lions book (was: Booting v6)
@ 2004-04-14  1:16           ` Peter Jeremy
From: Peter Jeremy @ 2004-04-14  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-Apr-14 09:46:25 +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com> wrote:
>On Tuesday, 13 April 2004 at 20:06:43 -0400, Tim Shoppa wrote:
>> [Lions book]
>>> Wow. Time to start Xeroxing it again...  :)
>>
>> Latex source to the book was posted to alt.folklore.computers circa
>> 1994.  I'm guessing that the poster (a "Leo") typed it in by hand
>> given the comments that came with the readme.
>
>Yes, that's the one I got.  From memory, the subject was "Leo's notes"
>and it was uuencoded or some such.  Strangely, not many people got it.

Google agrees that the subject was "Leo's notes" and it was posted in
7 uuencoded parts in mid-June 1994.  Unfortunately, Google doesn't
appear to have kept a copy of the posting (just the whinges about the
size).

I don't remember seeing it (I don't think I looked at AFC very often then)
and don't seem to have a copy.  I'd also be interested if anyone still
has a copy.

--
Peter Jeremy

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-14  1:33         ` Kurt Wall
From: Kurt Wall @ 2004-04-14  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

In a 1.6K blaze of typing glory, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Tuesday, 13 April 2004 at 18:35:02 -0400, Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:
> > ewayte at pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Eric Wayte) writes:
> >> I tried a few months ago and it is no longer available from them.  They
> >> suggested I try used book web pages.  There is a copy available on
> >> half.com as of this writing for around $100.
> >
> > Wow.
> >
> > Time to start Xeroxing it again...  :)
>
> Somewhere I had a TeX source file of it that went round
> alt.folklore.computers about ten years ago.  I took a brief look
> yesterday but couldn't find it.  If I try harder, there's a good
> chance that I will.  Would anybody be interested?

Yup.

Kurt
--
For 20 dollars, I'll give you a good fortune next time ...

* [TUHS] Lions book (was: Booting v6)
@ 2004-04-14  3:01             ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2004-04-14  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, 14 April 2004 at 11:16:26 +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2004-Apr-14 09:46:25 +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 13 April 2004 at 20:06:43 -0400, Tim Shoppa wrote:
>>> [Lions book]
>>>
>>> Latex source to the book was posted to alt.folklore.computers circa
>>> 1994.  I'm guessing that the poster (a "Leo") typed it in by hand
>>> given the comments that came with the readme.
>>
>> Yes, that's the one I got.  From memory, the subject was "Leo's notes"
>> and it was uuencoded or some such.  Strangely, not many people got it.
>
> Google agrees that the subject was "Leo's notes" and it was posted in
> 7 uuencoded parts in mid-June 1994.

I didn't recall that it was that many.  Unfortunately, I didn't retain
the original articles.  Google appears to be wrong about the date,
though: my copy is dated May 19, 1994.

> I don't remember seeing it (I don't think I looked at AFC very often
> then) and don't seem to have a copy.  I'd also be interested if
> anyone still has a copy.

Yes, I've found it now and put it up in multiple formats at
http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/Lions/.  Enjoy!

Greg
--
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
>> Wow. Time to start Xeroxing it again...  :)
>
> Latex source to the book was posted to alt.folklore.computers circa
> 1994.  I'm guessing that the poster (a "Leo") typed it in by hand
> given the comments that came with the readme.

I'm amused that someone would use LaTeX to reproduce a manuscript of
dot-matrix source listings and roughly-typewritten commentary.

(No offence at all intended to Dr Lions; the genius was clearly all in
the content, not the typography.)

cheers,
Mirian

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-14 16:18           ` Michael Davidson
From: Michael Davidson @ 2004-04-14 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Mirian Crzig Lennox @ 2004-04-14 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

michael_davidson at pacbell.net ("Michael Davidson") writes:
> [...]

Not at all; "typewritten" means "written with type": fixed-width,
metal impact type on bars or wheels.  Surely I can't be the only
person on this list who remembers when hardcopy terminals were often
called "typewriters".

cheers,
Mirian

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-14 17:32               ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2004-04-14 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello from Gregg C Levine
Actually, no your not. I do. Even though my contacts with computer
technology was rather limited, until about thirty odd years ago, and
on and off, during the eighties. For example, a shop that my father
ran, which did typesetting, used a pair of teletypes to communicate
with the host. (Host wasn't a DEC system, he was a related unit.)

And surprisingly enough, one of their customers was AT&T, they sent
over a manuscript they were having problems setting using the exact
same methods being discussed here.

My copy of the C manual, that all of us know who wrote, says it was
done that way as well.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

* [TUHS] Re: Lions' book
@ 2004-04-14 21:58         ` Warren Toomey
       [not found]           ` <20040414231845.GC10121@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
From: Warren Toomey @ 2004-04-14 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 08:06:43PM -0400, Tim Shoppa wrote:
> [Lions book]
> Latex source to the book was posted to alt.folklore.computers circa
> 1994.  I'm guessing that the poster (a "Leo") typed it in by hand
> given the comments that came with the readme.
> Tim.

I will give you all three guesses as to who Leo was. Hint: he lives
in Australia.

8-)
	Warren

P.S Back from Easter, still catching up with the list.

* [TUHS] Re: Lions' book
       [not found]           ` <20040414231845.GC10121@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
@ 2004-04-15  5:40             ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2004-04-15  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 09:18:45AM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>That would rule out John since he no longer lives in Australia.

True. The person is alive and well and living on the Gold Coast in
Queensland where he works for a small private university. He is
also semi-active in the arena of Unix history. He has a beard. He
regrets never admitting to the copying of the commentary to John
Lions personally, because John would probably have commended the
act.

	Warren

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-15 11:11 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2004-04-15 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > I have no doubt that the commentary was produced with the V6 nroff.
> > It has the look of machine-formatted text about it, although it was
> > clearly printed on a constant-width line printer of the time.
> >
> > Now, were anyone so truly perverse, they might take the latex and
> > convert it into nroff/troff. :-)
>
> Thus returning to the original form in which it was prepared. There's
> an appealing circularity and feeling of having come full circle to
> that...

Doing so would be a major Waste Of Time.  This fact, in combination with
the "appealing circularity" just mentioned makes it highly likely that
it *will* be done by a Graduate Student somewhere .... :-)

Arnold

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-14 22:47       ` Milo Velimirovic
From: Milo Velimirovic @ 2004-04-14 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 14, 2004, at 4:52 PM, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <20040414214313.GY10121 at gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
>             Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy at alcatel.com.au> writes:
> : In order to get that 'original' feel, you'll need to find an
> : appropriate DECwriter (LA120?).  Remember to hand-write the page
> : numbers and draw in the lines (and maybe boxes) in chapter 23 by
> hand.
>
> LA120 is way too late.  More like a DECwriter III...

I'm betting it would be like my V6 kernel listing...
printed on an LA36 DECwriterII.

> Warner

Milo Velimirović
University of Wisconsin - La Crosse
La Crosse, Wisconsin 54601 USA
--
There's a reason Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson have been awarded the
U.S. National Medal of Technology (1998) and are fellows of the

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-14 21:52     ` M. Warner Losh
From: M. Warner Losh @ 2004-04-14 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2004-04-14 21:43   ` Peter Jeremy
From: Peter Jeremy @ 2004-04-14 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-Apr-14 12:51:15 -0400, Kurt Wall <kwall at kurtwerks.com> wrote:
>In a 0.7K blaze of typing glory, Aharon Robbins wrote:
>> Now, were anyone so truly perverse, they might take the latex and
>> convert it into nroff/troff. :-)
>
>Thus returning to the original form in which it was prepared. There's
>an appealing circularity and feeling of having come full circle to
>that...

Actually, I'm surprised that someone (presumably John Lions) re-wrote
the nroff into LaTeX - it would seem easier to have just used troff
for the book.

In order to get that 'original' feel, you'll need to find an
appropriate DECwriter (LA120?).  Remember to hand-write the page
numbers and draw in the lines (and maybe boxes) in chapter 23 by hand.

Whilst you could re-create the appropriate 7x9 (I think) font for a
modern printer - though that will be missing the feel of impact
dot-matrix output: random variations in density and missing dots.

Personally, I think that is over-doing it.  Text is _far_ easier to
read when it's properly typeset using a good looking font (that
includes descenders) at high resolution (>600dpi).  I believe the
visual appearance of the original notes was limited by the technology
available to John Lions in 1977, rather than a deliberate decision to
produce low quality output.

Peter

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-14 16:51 ` Kurt Wall
From: Kurt Wall @ 2004-04-14 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

In a 0.7K blaze of typing glory, Aharon Robbins wrote:
> > To: tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org
> > From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <list-tuhs at cosmic.com>
> > Subject: Re: [TUHS] Booting v6
> > Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:04:48 -0400
> >
> > I'm amused that someone would use LaTeX to reproduce a manuscript of
> > dot-matrix source listings and roughly-typewritten commentary.
>
> I have no doubt that the commentary was produced with the V6 nroff.
> It has the look of machine-formatted text about it, although it was
> clearly printed on a constant-width line printer of the time.
>
> Now, were anyone so truly perverse, they might take the latex and
> convert it into nroff/troff. :-)

Thus returning to the original form in which it was prepared. There's
an appealing circularity and feeling of having come full circle to
that...

Kurt
--
"Whatever the missing mass of the universe is, I hope it's not
cockroaches!"

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-14 15:46 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2004-04-14 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2004-04-07 16:04   ` Andru Luvisi
From: Andru Luvisi @ 2004-04-07 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7 Apr 2004, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
[snip]
> Is it still good reading?
[snip]

Absolutely fabulous reading!

The best part, in my opinion, is that when he is walking you through the
code of a function and you come to another function call, he gives you a
short description (sometimes just a couple of words, sometimes a few
sentences) of what that other function does so you can just keep on
reading the one you're in.

Since most time-space tradeoffs were made in favor of saving space and
spending time (64k limit for all kernel code and data on the 11/40), the
code is fairly straight forward (for example, linear searches instead of
hash tables) once you grok the magic of process switching and how system
calls work, which Lions helps with a lot.

He also gives a brief introduction to enough PDP-11 assembly and
architecture, and C, to understand the magic.  I found it to be a very
pleasant read a few years ago and I plan to read it again one of these
days.

Andru
--
Andru Luvisi

Quote Of The Moment:
  Heisenberg may have been here.

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-07 10:53 Wells, Richard

> > BTW, the Lions book - which documents 6th Ed. very comprehensively -
is
> > available for legal purchase.  I have both the published version and
> > (from a set of docs I bought on eBay) an old 'bootleg' photocopy.
> Me too, as they say.  I did the bootleg photocopying myself.

Is it still good reading?

--
Lars Brinkhoff,         Services for Unix, Linux, GCC, HTTP
Brinkhoff Consulting    http://www.brinkhoff.se/

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-07  5:31 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2004-04-07  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2004-04-06 23:17 Carl Lowenstein
From: Carl Lowenstein @ 2004-04-06 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Subject: RE: [TUHS] Booting v6
> Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:04:10 -0700
> From: "Ian King" <iking at windows.microsoft.com>
> To: "Carl Lowenstein" <cdl at mpl.ucsd.edu>, <billc_2 at charter.net>,
>    <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org>
>
> BTW, the Lions book - which documents 6th Ed. very comprehensively - is
> available for legal purchase.  I have both the published version and
> (from a set of docs I bought on eBay) an old 'bootleg' photocopy.

Me too, as they say.  I did the bootleg photocopying myself.

> There was at least one card that would drive a vector display, like the
> old Tektronix storage tube devices, but most I/O was terminal based.  I
> have some old ADM3a terminals that folks often mistake for early iMacs -
> they ask me which processor they use. :-)

The first 11/20 I used had a Tektronix 4002 Graphics terminal
with it.  This was a storage tube, vector addressable.  But it also
had a complete ASCII terminal emulator built in, with diode matrix
character generator ROMs.  Also the best keyboard I ever used,
with magnetically-operated reed switches.  The Tek terminal used
a specially modified KL11 terminal interface, which did serial
communication to the CPU at something like 100k characters/sec.
This made the hard-copy TTY-based editor really easy to use, because
it could repaint the whole screen in a fraction of a second.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst at ucsd.edu

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-06 22:37 Carl Lowenstein
From: Carl Lowenstein @ 2004-04-06 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Bill Cunningham" <billc_2 at charter.net>
> To: <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org>
> Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 06:30:01 -0400
> Subject: [TUHS] Booting v6
>
>     I was looking through the old archives at the old UNIX Dennis Ritchie
> submitted. I would like to know how to boot this. I can't seem to compile
> the PDP emulator(s) with djgpp or a non-linux system. I can with my linux.

See below for a session log showing booting 6th Ed Unix on a Linux system.

> Dennis said this version of unix was compiled with assembly, then into C if
> I'm not mistaken.

I'm pretty sure that by 6th Ed the system was mostly C, with only a
few assembly routines.

> Now the PDPs they were the machines with no monitors just
> printer tty type output correct?

High-resolution bit-mapped graphics at any reasonable price came along
a few years after 6th Ed.  Unix.  Character-cell CRT terminals that
could display 72x12 up to 80x24 characters on a screen were available
in 1975, but were pretty expensive.

Instructions for booting "uv6swre" are contained in the file "simh_swre.txt".
To make things easier for myself, I did the following:
$ cp unix0_v6_rk.dsk rk0.dsk
and so on for 1, 2, 3.
This gives me copies of the distribution disks that I can work with
without losing the originals.  Then I made a startup file "run.conf"
to contain the commands for the emulator.  Here is the result of a
very recent session:
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Script started on Tue 06 Apr 2004 03:09:12 PM
PDT helium3$ cat run.conf
set cpu u18
set cpu 256k
attach rk0 rk0.dsk
attach rk1 rk1.dsk
attach rk2 rk2.dsk
attach rk3 rk3.dsk
boot rk0

helium3$ pdp11 run.conf

PDP-11 simulator V3.1-0
Disabling XQ
@unix

login: root
# date
Sat Aug 20 12:19:47 EDT 1994
# ls -l
total 182
drwxr-xr-x  2 bin      1040 Jan  1  1970 bin
drwxr-xr-x  2 bin       352 Jan  1  1970 dev
drwxr-xr-x  2 bin       304 Aug 20 12:19 etc
drwxr-xr-x  2 bin       336 Jan  1  1970 lib
drwxr-xr-x 17 bin       272 Jan  1  1970 mnt
drwxr-xr-x  2 bin        32 Jan  1  1970 mnt2
-rw-rw-rw-  1 root    28472 Aug 20 12:01 rkunix
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bin     28636 Aug 20 11:38 rkunix.40
drwxrwxrwx  2 bin       144 Aug 20 12:14 tmp
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bin     28472 Aug 20 12:01 unix
drwxr-xr-x 13 bin       224 Aug 20 12:22 usr
drwxr-xr-x  2 bin        32 Jan  1  1970 usr2
# stty
speed 110 baud
erase = '#'; kill = '@'
even odd -nl echo -tabs cr1
# sync;sync
#
Simulation stopped, PC: 034316 (ADD #26,R2)
sim> bye
Goodbye
helium3$ exit

Script done on Tue 06 Apr 2004 03:10:09 PM PDT
Notes:  the simh command for emulating a Unibus PDP11 with 18-bit
addressing is now "set cpu u18".

In the line "@unix" the "@" is the prompt from the boot program, "unix"
is your response to it.  Root has no password.

The disks are mounted	rk1 on /usr
			rk2 on /usr/source
			rk3 on /mnt

The default character erase and line kill characters shown by stty
are not what anyone is used to these days.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst at ucsd.edu

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-06 13:44 ` Akito Fujita
From: Akito Fujita @ 2004-04-06 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: "Bill Cunningham" <billc_2@charter.net>
Subject: [TUHS] Booting v6
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 06:30:01 -0400

>     I was looking through the old archives at the old UNIX Dennis Ritchie
> submitted. I would like to know how to boot this. I can't seem to compile
> the PDP emulator(s) with djgpp or a non-linux system. I can with my linux.
> Dennis said this version of unix was compiled with assembly, then into C if
> I'm not mistaken. Now the PDPs they were the machines with no monitors just
> printer tty type output correct?
>
>     Bill

see http://www.tribug.org/pub/tuhs/PDP-11/Bug_Fixes/V6enb/
it will help you.

- Akito

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-06 13:16 ` Kenneth Stailey
From: Kenneth Stailey @ 2004-04-06 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- Bill Cunningham <billc_2 at charter.net> wrote:
>     I was looking through the old archives at the old UNIX Dennis Ritchie
> submitted. I would like to know how to boot this. I can't seem to compile
> the PDP emulator(s) with djgpp or a non-linux system.

Look on this page for the link that says "Windows executables"

http://simh.trailing-edge.com/

> I can with my linux.
> Dennis said this version of unix was compiled with assembly, then into C if
> I'm not mistaken.

You are mistaken.  It's the other way around.  Traditional C compilers generate
assembly which is assembled into machine code object files which are linked
into an executable.

> Now the PDPs they were the machines with no monitors just
> printer tty type output correct?

Depends on the PDP you are talking about.  The term "Programmed Data Processor"
refers to a large number of different systems.  Some are a small as PeeCees and
others filled entire rooms.

>     Bill

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-06 10:30 Bill Cunningham