The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] lost ports
@ 2017-01-04 21:24 ron minnich
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2017-01-04 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

So there are a few ports I know of that I wonder if they ever made it back
into that great github repo.I don't think they did.

harris
gould
That weird BBN 20-bit machine
   (20 bits? true story: 5 4-bit modules fit in a 19" rack. So 20 bits)
Alpha port (Tru64)
Precision Architecture
Unix port to Cray vector machines

others? What's the list of "lost machines" look like? Would companies
consider a donation, do you think?

If that Cray port is of any interest I have a thread I can push on maybe.

but another true story: I visited DEC in 2000 or so, as LANL was about to
spend about $120M on an Alpha system. The question came up about the SRM
firmware for Alpha. As it was described to me, it was written in BLISS and
the only machine left that could build it was an 11/750, "somewhere in the
basement, man, we haven't turned that thing on in years". I suspect there's
a lot of these containing oxide oersteds of interest.

ron
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] lost ports
@ 2017-01-05 12:28 Rudi Blom
From: Rudi Blom @ 2017-01-05 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 16:41:07 -0500
>From: "Ron Natalie" <ron at ronnatalie.com>
>To: "'ron minnich'" <rminnich at gmail.com>,       <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org>
>Subject: Re: [TUHS] lost ports
>I did kernel work on the PA for HP also worked on their X server (did a few other X server >over the years).

>The hard part would be finding anybody from these companies who could even remember
>they made computers let alone had  UNIX software.

I worked for the computer division in Philips Electronics, DEC,
Compaq, HP, HPE and still remember some of it :-)

I wasn't involved in OS development, but in testing, turnover to
National Sales Organisations, etc. Even now at some customer side I
still have a few aDEC400xP servers from 1992 running SCO UNIX 3.2V4.2
(last update 1999). Also a few AlphaServers with Digital UNIX, Tru64;
finally some Itanium servers with HP-UX 11.23/11.31.

Especially the big/small endian issue gave our customer (and therefore
myself) a few headaches. Imagine getting a chunk of shared memory and
casting pointers assuming the 'system' takes care of alignment. Big
surprise for the customer moving from Tru64 to HP-UX.