The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] TCP/IP implementations
@ 2004-10-05 15:40 Michael Sokolov
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Sokolov @ 2004-10-05 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

"=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Jos=E9?= R. Valverde" <jrvalverde at cnb.uam.es> wrote:

> While working at the Biomedical Research Institute (Madrid, Spain) I got a
> quote from DEC for access to Ultrix source code. As I remember it, it wasn't
> that expensive (~1000$ for an academic license) and I mused bout acquiring=
> =20
> it for some time. My na=EFvete at the time prevented me from ordering it (t=
> hat
> and the availability of BSD sources).

Ultrix-32 sources can be found on ifctfvax.Harhan.ORG in
/pub/UNIX/thirdparty/Ultrix-32/sources available via anonymous FTP.

MS

* [TUHS] TCP/IP implementations
@ 2004-10-06 15:42 Michael Sokolov
From: Michael Sokolov @ 2004-10-06 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jose R. Valverde <jr at cnb.uam.es> wrote:

> But I understood the orioginal post to refer to other Ultrix sources.
> Ultrix had a long -and interesting- life after 32V. It was ported to
> MIPS machines,

By Ultrix-32 I didn't mean AT&T 32V, I just say Ultrix-32 to distinguish
it from Ultrix-11.  Ultrix-32 was DEC's product for VAX and MIPS.  On my
FTP site I have pirate sources for Ultrix-32 V2.00 and V4.20.  The lalter
runs on all VAX models DEC ever supported Ultrix on and on MIPS.

MS

* [TUHS] TCP/IP implementations
@ 2004-10-05 13:41 patv
From: patv @ 2004-10-05 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's not a question of it being lost, but rather making sure it doesn't
become lost.  My first order of business is for the product that was the
reason for Manalapan's existence -- VAX System V.

The Manalapan, NJ site, after two mergers, is still today known as UNX
because of it initial charter to port AT&T Unix to VAX.  This dates back
to the old DEC days where all sites had a 3 character identifier.  I guess
someone was a private pilot and modeled it after airport designations.
Anyway, Manalapan was also frequently used as a hub in a lot of uucp
activity -- just look for UNXA in the path.

Enough history for today.

Pat

> On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 06:09:19 -0400
> Pat Villani <patv at monmouth.com> wrote:
> > Don't know about a TCP/IP stack, but I'm sorry to tell you that Ultrix
> > is still proprietary and now owned by hp.
> >
> > The source is in danger of being lost unless I'm successful over the
> > next six months.  The Manalapan, NJ site where a great deal of Ultrix
> > work was done will be closing soon and employees moved to other
location>
> > and otherwise.  I volunteered to take the old tape archives and
transfer>
> > the source code to CD-ROM for preservation.  I don't know if there are
> > any other copies in Nashua, NH, where the remainder of the work was done.
> >
> > Pat
> >
> While working at the Biomedical Research Institute (Madrid, Spain) I got a
> quote from DEC for access to Ultrix source code. As I remember it, it wasn't
> that expensive (~1000$ for an academic license) and I mused bout
acquiring>
> it for some time. My na�vete at the time prevented me from ordering it
(t> hat
> and the availability of BSD sources).
>
> But I'd feel pretty sure that at that price many source licenses must have
> been sold. Maybe there are still copies lying around and you can find
> someone to send you a copy back.
>
> Sure, it would be nicer to maintain the whole development log and versions.

> --
>     These opinions are mine and only mine. Hey man, I saw them first!
>
>                 Jos� R. Valverde
>
>     De nada sirve la Inteligencia Artificial cuando falta la Natural

This message was sent using Monmouth Internet MI-Webmail.
http://www.monmouth.com/

* [TUHS] TCP/IP implementations
@ 2004-10-01  5:14 Sergey Lapin
From: Sergey Lapin @ 2004-10-01  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, all!!!
Are there any old TCP/IP implementations like these to work on V7 or V6,
freely accessible in source form?
It could be very nice thing to learn from.

And possibly offtopic question - if I want ULTRIX (RISC) source license,
where should I get it from? (mostly interested in newest source) :)

All the best,
S.