The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Mention TUHS in Linux Magazine (US)?
@ 2005-04-29 17:59 Carl Lowenstein
From: Carl Lowenstein @ 2005-04-29 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Jerry Peek <jpeek at jpeek.com>
> To: tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org
> Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:50:21 -0700
> Subject: [TUHS] Mention TUHS in Linux Magazine (US)?
> Hi everyone.  I'm a short-time UNIX user (I started in 1981 :)
> and also a columnist for Linux Magazine (in the US: not the UK
> flavour).  I just came across TUHS while I was searching for a
> V7 cp(1) manpage.  (I found it, BTW, via Warren Toomey's page
> http://mirror.cc.vt.edu/pub/projects/Ancient_Unix/Documentation/PUPS/manpages.html.)
>
> I'm writing a series of columns on "What's GNU in Old Utilities".
> It describes new features of GNU utilities like cat(1) and
> contrasts them to "how we used to do it."  I'd like to mention
> TUHS in the third column, which should be out in August.  It
> seems that TUHS is alive and well.  If any of you have comments
> or complaints about that idea, though, would you please let me
> know before May 1 -- which is when the column is due?  Thanks.

More power to you.  Just keep a sharp eye out for things that
are touted as "new improved GNU features" that have been around
since the days of 6th Edition or 7th Edition Unix.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst at ucsd.edu

[parent not found: <200504290913.j3T9DdGA016881@skeeve.com>]
* [TUHS] Mention TUHS in Linux Magazine (US)?
@ 2005-04-28 16:50 Jerry Peek
From: Jerry Peek @ 2005-04-28 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone.  I'm a short-time UNIX user (I started in 1981 :)
and also a columnist for Linux Magazine (in the US: not the UK
flavour).  I just came across TUHS while I was searching for a
V7 cp(1) manpage.  (I found it, BTW, via Warren Toomey's page
http://mirror.cc.vt.edu/pub/projects/Ancient_Unix/Documentation/PUPS/manpages.html.)

I'm writing a series of columns on "What's GNU in Old Utilities".
It describes new features of GNU utilities like cat(1) and
contrasts them to "how we used to do it."  I'd like to mention
TUHS in the third column, which should be out in August.  It
seems that TUHS is alive and well.  If any of you have comments
or complaints about that idea, though, would you please let me
know before May 1 -- which is when the column is due?  Thanks.

Jerry
--
Jerry Peek, jpeek at jpeek.com, http://www.jpeek.com/