The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Bearded Fellow, Ken Thompson
@ 2021-01-17 22:33 Norman Wilson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Norman Wilson @ 2021-01-17 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Dave Horsfall:

  At one place I worked, every Unix bod sported facial fungus; it must be a
  Unix thing...

====

Not really.  I've seen bare faces and beards and operating systems
over the decades that would scare the bugs out of any of the above
beards and operating systems.  There really isn't a lot of consistency.
I've known plenty of bare-faced UNIX hacks, and plenty of RSX and
VMS and Windows and IBM programmers who hide their embarrassment
behind beards.

The ultimate reference is, of course, the inhabitants of the UNIX
Room.  During my time there in mid-to-late 1980s, some people wore
beards, some didn't.  I have never seen Ken or Dennis or Brian
clean-shaven, but I have never seen Doug or Rob or Tom Duff or
Lorinda with a beard.

And despite a certain remark attributed to the late Vic Vyssotsky
(who I've never seen with a beard either), I am quite sure that
my appearance had nothing to do with my being recruited by the group.

Norman `too lazy to shave' Wilson
Toronto ON