The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-01 20:43 Michael Kjörling
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Michael Kjörling @ 2017-02-01 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I hope this isn't too far off topic here.

I've been meaning to rename the few systems I administer with names
that reference famous (or at least somewhat well-known in the proper
circles) historical UNIX systems, but I have been unable to find any
lists of such names so have no real place to start. About the closest
I _was_ able to find is the ARPANET map[1] of the late 1970s that is
on Wikipedia and is occasionally circulated, but which gives mostly
architecture, location and links, not any system (host) names.

Short of unimaginative things like calling my home router IMP[2] or
things like that, can anyone either suggest names with a bit of
background (where they were, what hardware, what time period, etc.),
or point me toward online resources where I can find lists of those?

 [1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Arpanet_logical_map,_march_1977.png

 [2]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interface_Message_Processor

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael at kjorling.se

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-01 22:16 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-02-01 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Clem Cole

    > my printers have often been named after chainsaws

Yeah, MIT (or was it Proteon, I forget - a long time ago :-) had that theme
going for a while for printers...

    > @ DEC we were pretty free to use what we wanted and some were themed,
    > most were boring.

Hah! I do have a cosmically great computer naming story from DEC, though.

So DECNet host names were limited to N characters (where N=8, or some
such). So one day they get this complaint from some DEC user in the UK:

"Grumble, grumble, grumble, N-character limit in DECNet host names, we want to
name our host 'Slartibartfast'."

So, this being before a certain radio play had hit the US from the UK, the
people at DEC were like:

"What's a 'Slartibartfast'???"

Instantly, the reply shot back (and perhaps some of you saw this coming):

"Boy, you guys are so unhip it's a wonder your pants down fall down!" :-) :-)

      Noel

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-01 22:27 Berny Goodheart
From: Berny Goodheart @ 2017-02-01 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

You might find this interesting reading:
http://www.livinginternet.com/u/ui_netexplodes.htm <http://www.livinginternet.com/u/ui_netexplodes.htm>
In particular inhp4. I used to have a UUCP map that linked me into this network back in the mid 80s. I was based in the UK doing some work for Henry Spencer at Microport Systems if any of you recall their iX286 System V port, which was pretty cool.

Anyway, there are some interesting machine names mentioned.

From: smb@ulysses.att.com
Subject: Re: IHNP4
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 90 20:48:42 EDT

> Thus, ihnp4 was Indian Hill Network Processor #4
> mh was Murray Hill. ak was the Atlanta Wire Works, sb was Southern

> Bell, cb was Columbus (Mark Horton was mark at cbosgd for a long time)
> plus others.

Yup, Columbus Operating Systems Group D, as I recall.

> Then there were the machines in the lab that had (and have) names like
> bonnie, clyde, ulysses, research, allegra, lento, harpo, chico,  etc.

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-02  9:59 Rudi Blom
From: Rudi Blom @ 2017-02-02  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Slartibartfast brings back fond memories of THHGTTG.

Of course those in IT simply know that with a Guide and a towel
there's no need to panic :-)

Cheers,
rudi