The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-01 20:43 Michael Kjörling
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Michael Kjörling @ 2017-02-01 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I hope this isn't too far off topic here.

I've been meaning to rename the few systems I administer with names
that reference famous (or at least somewhat well-known in the proper
circles) historical UNIX systems, but I have been unable to find any
lists of such names so have no real place to start. About the closest
I _was_ able to find is the ARPANET map[1] of the late 1970s that is
on Wikipedia and is occasionally circulated, but which gives mostly
architecture, location and links, not any system (host) names.

Short of unimaginative things like calling my home router IMP[2] or
things like that, can anyone either suggest names with a bit of
background (where they were, what hardware, what time period, etc.),
or point me toward online resources where I can find lists of those?

 [1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Arpanet_logical_map,_march_1977.png

 [2]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interface_Message_Processor

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael at kjorling.se

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-01 20:46 ` Clem Cole
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-02-01 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Do you have access to "the Matrix" by John Quarterman.   There are the UUCP
maps in there with >>tons<< of host names - like ihnp4, decvax, etc...

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 3:43 PM, Michael Kjörling <michael at kjorling.se>
wrote:

> I hope this isn't too far off topic here.
>
> I've been meaning to rename the few systems I administer with names
> that reference famous (or at least somewhat well-known in the proper
> circles) historical UNIX systems, but I have been unable to find any
> lists of such names so have no real place to start. About the closest
> I _was_ able to find is the ARPANET map[1] of the late 1970s that is
> on Wikipedia and is occasionally circulated, but which gives mostly
> architecture, location and links, not any system (host) names.
>
> Short of unimaginative things like calling my home router IMP[2] or
> things like that, can anyone either suggest names with a bit of
> background (where they were, what hardware, what time period, etc.),
> or point me toward online resources where I can find lists of those?
>

>  [1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Arpanet_logical_map,_
> march_1977.png
>
>  [2]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interface_Message_Processor
>
> --
> Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael at kjorling.se
>                  “People who think they know everything really annoy
>                  those of us who know we don’t.” (Bjarne Stroustrup)

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-01 20:50 ` Clem Cole
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-02-01 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

BTW:   Many of the systems from the Arpanet days had very unimaginative
host names:   CMUA, "MIT-AI" are examples.   CMMP was CMU's C.mmp, Vision
was the Vision system and Audio was the language system so don't expect a
lot of wild and crazy names.

Clem

@ 2017-02-01 21:11   ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2017-02-01 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Kjörling wrote:
> can anyone either suggest names with a bit of background (where they
> were, what hardware, what time period, etc.),

MIT-EDDIE, early distrbution point for GNU software.  More details here:
http://www.driver-aces.com/ronnie.html

Clem Cole writes:
> BTW: Many of the systems from the Arpanet days had very unimaginative
> host names: CMUA, "MIT-AI" are examples.

Better add that those are not Unix machines.

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-01 21:20   ` Noel Chiappa
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-02-01 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Clem Cole

    > don't expect a lot of wild and crazy names

Yeah, those arrived when places started to get lots of identical machines,
and needed a theme to name them. So I remember MIT-LCS had VAX 750's called
Tide, Borax, etc (cleaners); MIT-AI had Suns called Grape-Nuts, Wheaties, etc
(cereals).

I know other places had similar name sets, but I can't recall the themes of
any of them - although looking at an old HOSTS.TXT, I see CMU had systems
called Faraday, Gauss, etc, while Purdue had Fermat, Newton, etc; U-Texas had
Disney characters, BBN had fish, U-Washington had South Pacific islands - the
list just goes on and on.

Google for a old Host file, that's a good source if you want to know more.

	Noel

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-01 21:33 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-02-01 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh, I've got some.  Not that old, 80's.

UW-Madison
	slovax - 11/750 that had the BSD sources on it.  Spent many a happy
		hour reading there and I've always had a personal machine
		called slovax ever since.  mcvoy.com internally is slovax.
	speedy - 8600 that was the main research/faculty machine.  Also
		...!uwisc!rsch

Tokoyo Institute of Technology (TIT)
	So the back story here is I was one of the Unix geeks doing a Unix
	port to the ETA-10.  TIT was taking delivery of a big liquid cooled
	machine and of course we weren't ready.  I got sent over with 3 tapes,
	one was the baseline that was sort of checked in, one was my port of
	Lachman (who bought it from I think Convergent)'s TCP/IP stack, and
	one was some VM thing, I think big pages but I'm not sure.

	They sent me over there with a small replica of our development
	environment (Sun 3/260 file / compute server and 2 3/50 workstations)
	and told me "Merge this stuff and install it, TIT wants all of it".

	So I get to Tokoyo and the machines show up and I'm installing SunOS
	and I have to name them:

	3/260: BigTIT
	3/50: LeftTIT
	3/50: RightTIT

	and I even put them physically how you would imagine.

	It only lasted until they figured out what it meant but I didn't get
	in trouble.  Because a different story had just happened that had
	made the Japanese sales guys bust up in laughter and they had taken
	me out we all got shit faced a few days before I had to rename the
	machines.  Happy to share that story if anyone is still reading :)

Sun
	The source machines that held the SCCS history before they went to
	NSE/NSElite/Teamware:

	Argon
	Radon
	Krypton

That's all I can think of for now, not sure if any of it is actually that
all interesting.
--
---

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-01 21:42     ` Michael Kjörling
From: Michael Kjörling @ 2017-02-01 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1 Feb 2017 16:20 -0500, from jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Noel Chiappa):
> Google for a old Host file, that's a good source if you want to know more.

That's a good idea, I'll definitely give that a try later. Thanks for
the tip!

(Oh, and I didn't mean to imply a restriction to the 1970s; that was
only to indicate what little I'd been able to find.)

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael at kjorling.se

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-01 21:43       ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-02-01 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

90s too late? Everyone needs sun-lamp and some of DEC's ULTRIX boxes. ;)

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2017-02-01 21:50       ` William Pechter
From: William Pechter @ 2017-02-01 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Another source was the comp.mail.maps newsgroup for UUCP maps.

I loved the Pyramid Technologies names pace - - all host names started with pyr.

Pyramid->pyrnj->pyrite to my home in get.

The one that killed me was pyrgynt.

Bill

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael at kjorling.se

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-01 21:57   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-02-01 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 4:33 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> It only lasted until they figured out what it meant but I didn't get
>         in trouble.  Because a different story had just happened that had
>         made the Japanese sales guys bust up in laughter and they had taken
>         me out we all got shit faced a few days before I had to rename the
>         machines.  Happy to share that story if anyone is still reading :)

​Outstanding -- and yes please do.​

@ 2017-02-01 22:06     ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-02-01 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 4:20 PM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

> I know other places had similar name sets, but I can't recall the themes of
> any of them - although looking at an old HOSTS.TXT, I see CMU had systems
> ​ ​
> called Faraday, Gauss, etc, while Purdue had Fermat, Newton, etc; U-Texas
> had
> ​ ​
> Disney characters, BBN had fish, U-Washington had South Pacific islands -
> the
> ​ ​
> list just goes on and on.

​Indeed....​

​UCB's CSRG was naming ​after dead artists .. Monet, Degauss,  *etc*..
The CAD group was a beverages theme: Cone, Sprite and Pepsi for the 3 780's
- then the workstation were named after beer we drank.

Masscomp used the Rogue monsters to start (until we ran out of the original
26 - then it was sort was all over the place).  Yeti was the build server,
Eye was the system we did the original MP UNIX work on, and Xorn was mine
own [I've forgotten the names of the others].  In fact, when I got married
by English-Lit major brother-in-law thought the idea of naming computers
was so cute he wrote a song for Xorn in the key of the cowboy's horse
losing its master to another more important person.

And the monster theme was kept on my home network to this day, although my
printers have often been named after chainsaws [for chewing up wood], and
first color laser was called crayon for my then young daughter who used it
to print her artwork.

@ Stellar I had astronomical index of stars on the top of my file cabinet
and people to come to me to get names.  We keep that pretty consistent for
all the SW systems for the first 2-3 years.  I even reduxed the index at
Ammasso a few years later.

@ DEC we were pretty free to use what we wanted and some were themed, most
were boring.

But I'm sad to say, Intel seems to have little sense of humor with regards
to what name I might set the system too locally.  I can set to anything I
want, but  the moment I connect it to the internal network, the IT network
gods rename in the form:   {WWUSERNAME}-{SYSTEMTYPE}{GENERATION#} - no
exceptions.    My new system due in a sometime this spring will named:
ctcole-mac05

So an arp on my home network shows all these interesting names, then one
really, boring one ... and its mine.  sigh.... so, so, sad....

Clem

@ 2017-02-01 22:08     ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-02-01 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 04:57:58PM -0500, Clem Cole wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 4:33 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>
> > It only lasted until they figured out what it meant but I didn't get
> >         in trouble.  Because a different story had just happened that had
> >         made the Japanese sales guys bust up in laughter and they had taken
> >         me out we all got shit faced a few days before I had to rename the
> >         machines.  Happy to share that story if anyone is still reading :)
> >
> ???Outstanding -- and yes please do.???

OK.  So the ETA was in the machine room, the Sun machines were just
outside in sort of a lobby that was my office.  I was frequently in
the machine room to do something, I dunno what, it was cold and loud in
there, I hated it, but I was in there all the time.  Probably doing a
hard reset on the machine I just screwed up.

The Japanese sales guys were there constantly, watching, they wanted
the sale to go through so they could collect their commission I guess.

There was a phone in there and it would ring and a sales guy would pick
it up saying "Moshi, Moshi" which I took to mean "Hi" or "hello".

It was always corporate calling to see how things were going.

So one day I'm in there by myself and the phone rings and without thinking
about it (I don't speak Japanese so WTF was I thinking?), I pick it up
and say "Mushi, Mushi".  Too which I get a stream of horrified Japanense
and I just hang up.

The sales guys show later and I say "I answered a call for you".  "Oh,
yeah, what did you say?"  "Mushi, mushi".  Stunned silence and then they
are rolling on the floor laughing.

I'm going "What?  What did I do?".

They say "Corporate called to find out how things are going and the
software guy said 'bug, bug' and hung up".

We all went out drinking that night, those sales guys were all right.
Seemed sort of cold before that but we were buds from there forward.
I'll bet you a pile of money somewhere there is a sales guy in Japan
who tells this story, probably not in a way that is flattering to me :)

(Note this about 30 years ago and I can't remember if Moshi is hi or if it
is Mushi that is hi, but you get the idea).

--larry "bug, bug" mcvoy

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-01 22:11       ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-02-01 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 05:06:38PM -0500, Clem Cole wrote:
> But I'm sad to say, Intel seems to have little sense of humor with regards
> to what name I might set the system too locally.  I can set to anything I
> want, but  the moment I connect it to the internal network, the IT network
> gods rename in the form:   {WWUSERNAME}-{SYSTEMTYPE}{GENERATION#} - no
> exceptions.    My new system due in a sometime this spring will named:
> ctcole-mac05

Intel was a major customer of ours for years and I can vouch for their lack
of sense of humor.  I visited Portland and Santa Clara and I have never
seen a more grey cubicle farm in my life.

> So an arp on my home network shows all these interesting names, then one
> really, boring one ... and its mine.  sigh.... so, so, sad....

Indeed.  Though bigtit might have been a step too far :)

--lm

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-01 22:16         ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-02-01 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017, at 13:43, Cory Smelosky wrote:
> 90s too late? Everyone needs sun-lamp and some of DEC's ULTRIX boxes. ;)
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Feb 1, 2017, at 13:42, Michael Kjörling <michael at kjorling.se> wrote:
> >
> > On 1 Feb 2017 16:20 -0500, from jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Noel Chiappa):
> >> Google for a old Host file, that's a good source if you want to know more.
> >
> > That's a good idea, I'll definitely give that a try later. Thanks for
> > the tip!
> >
> > (Oh, and I didn't mean to imply a restriction to the 1970s; that was
> > only to indicate what little I'd been able to find.)
> >
> > --
> > Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael at kjorling.se
> >                 “People who think they know everything really annoy
> >                 those of us who know we don’t.” (Bjarne Stroustrup)

sys/conf for Ultrix 4.3 I believe

./            CHASM         EVERYTHING    LIMBO         MY730
NOWISE        SAS.gen       TRIBBLE       WISPER        files
param.c
../           DECVAX        GENERIC       LINT          MY750
RAGTIME       SAS.net       UTMOST        YAWN          files.vax
touch.c
ABYSS         EREHWON       HOLLOW        MONET         MY780
RAVINE        SAS.rx01      VACUUM        defines       makefile.vax
BINARY.vax    ERNIE         KIM           MVAX          NFS
SALT          SAS.tu58      VAPOR         devices.vax   newvers.sh

--
  Cory Smelosky
  b4 at gewt.net

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-01 22:20       ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2017-02-01 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 1 Feb 2017, Larry McVoy wrote:

> There was a phone in there and it would ring and a sales guy would pick
> it up saying "Moshi, Moshi" which I took to mean "Hi" or "hello".
>
> It was always corporate calling to see how things were going.
>
> So one day I'm in there by myself and the phone rings and without thinking
> about it (I don't speak Japanese so WTF was I thinking?), I pick it up
> and say "Mushi, Mushi".  Too which I get a stream of horrified Japanense
> and I just hang up.
>
> The sales guys show later and I say "I answered a call for you".  "Oh,
> yeah, what did you say?"  "Mushi, mushi".  Stunned silence and then they
> are rolling on the floor laughing.
>
> I'm going "What?  What did I do?".
>
> They say "Corporate called to find out how things are going and the
> software guy said 'bug, bug' and hung up".
>
> We all went out drinking that night, those sales guys were all right.
> Seemed sort of cold before that but we were buds from there forward.
> I'll bet you a pile of money somewhere there is a sales guy in Japan
> who tells this story, probably not in a way that is flattering to me :)
>
> (Note this about 30 years ago and I can't remember if Moshi is hi or if it
> is Mushi that is hi, but you get the idea).
>
> --larry "bug, bug" mcvoy

You were right - "moshi-moshi" is "hello" and "mushi" is bug.

(I picked up a little bit of Japanese from 20 years of watching anime...
lol)

-uso.

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-01 22:21         ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-02-01 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 5:11 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> Indeed.  Though bigtit might have been a step too far :)

Just call it GrandTeton and they will probably not know.​

@ 2017-02-01 22:26     ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-02-01 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

https://emaillab.jp/pub/hosts/19840210/HOSTS.TXT

This is a version of the HOSTS file that I found in some of my old
floppies that was (sadly) truncated because of a bad sector (or twenty).
This was from my teens when I was floating around the ARPANET.

Some very interesting stuff here at the base site:

https://emaillab.jp/dns/hosts/

@ 2017-02-01 22:28         ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-02-01 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 5:11 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> I visited Portland and Santa Clara and I have never
> seen a more grey cubicle farm in my life.

​I don't remember which comic it was, but about 8-10 years ago one the late
night comedy guys brought a film crew to SC and made that same exact
observation.​

While Intel does do many things well, this one is part of company culture
and I'm not in a position to change it.  I wish I could.  I think the place
would be a small bit happier if it did not take itself quite so seriously,
but that's just my personal opinion.

As the late Roger Gourd used to say: *"Bring me to a sacred cow, and I'll
start up the sacred bbq." ;-) *

@ 2017-02-01 22:44           ` William Pechter
From: William Pechter @ 2017-02-01 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

One of the best things about DEC was the lack of taking itself too seriously.

11/730 product announcement for the Solar Horologue...

See the above in Google and Slashdot.

Wish I had a pdf to post.

Bill

> I visited Portland and Santa Clara and I have never
> seen a more grey cubicle farm in my life.

​I don't remember which comic it was, but about 8-10 years ago one the late
night comedy guys brought a film crew to SC and made that same exact
observation.​

While Intel does do many things well, this one is part of company culture
and I'm not in a position to change it.  I wish I could.  I think the place
would be a small bit happier if it did not take itself quite so seriously,
but that's just my personal opinion.

As the late Roger Gourd used to say: *"Bring me to a sacred cow, and I'll
start up the sacred bbq." ;-) *

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-02-01 22:54 ` Jacob Goense
From: Jacob Goense @ 2017-02-01 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-02-01 15:43, Michael Kjörling wrote:
> Short of unimaginative things like calling my home router IMP[2] or
> things like that, can anyone either suggest names with a bit of
> background (where they were, what hardware, what time period, etc.),
> or point me toward online resources where I can find lists of those?

I could drop names, but at some point the labels became quite uniform.
To illustrate that, look at the labels in an old top1000 of USENET
sites.

http://top1000.anthologeek.net/2000/12/full.txt

They bore quickly.

The largest secondary tld nameserver ever was simply called ns
(ns.EU.net),
I don't recall the internal hostname, but it was probably some norse
god like balder or buri.

Some stuff that randomply pops up in my mind:

- anon and penet
Reference to anon.penet.fi, early to mid '90s, a generic 386/486 box at
Julfs house and at undisclosed locations later on.
Suitable for naming mail relays, outgoing mail servers and anonymity
realetd services.

- kremvax
Fictional machine. Suitable for jokes, routers related to anything in
the east.

- mcvax, mcsun
Suitable for anything related to europe.

- sunsite
A 90s thing. Suitable for sharing software, and, as a pun on Sun, java
related stuff maybe.

- gatekeeper
Again, labels became boring, ftp.uu.net was famous as ftp site, but
gatekeeper.dec.com had
a cool hostname.

- chronos
chronos.eu.net was a go to time server in europe, replaced by
rolex.ripe.net.

- agate
After agate.berkeley.edu, where BSD escaped the university until the
lawyers stepped in.

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-02  1:14             ` Rico Pajarola
From: Rico Pajarola @ 2017-02-02  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 11:44 PM, William Pechter <pechter at gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the best things about DEC was the lack of taking itself too
> seriously.
>
> 11/730 product announcement for the Solar Horologue...
>
> See the above in Google and Slashdot.
>
> Wish I had a pdf to post.
>
> Bill

this one? http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/102672049
the story: https://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=76256&cid=6805264

This is awesome. Now I really want to build one ;)

Does anyone have that data sheet and would be so kind to scan it?

@ 2017-02-02  1:18             ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-02-02  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

The creator of that little gem was Dick Hustvedt, a brilliant engineer with
a wicked sense of humor. He was one of the inventors of VAXclusters, as
well as of the SD730 Solar Horologue Option - see end of this post.

When in the VMS SYSGEN utility, and you asked for a list of the parameters,
the list included the units. The TIMEPROMPTWAIT parameter was unusual in
that values in one range did one thing, while values in another range did
something else. Dick wanted to encourage users to go read the manual for
the full explanation, so he had the units listed as microfortnights, hoping
that puzzled readers would go search out the details.

Sadly, Dick suffered severe brain injury in a car accident many years ago,
and was unable to return to work.  The VMS team named a conference room in
his honor at the Nashua, NH facility where VMS engineering lives, and if
you visit it, you can see the prototype SD730, which was introduced as an
April Fools joke one year. Here's the text from the "Product Information
Sheet" for the SD730.

VAX-11/730

SD730 Fixed Head Solar Horologue

Overview

The SD730 is an option for the VAX-11/730(TM) that provides an inexpensive
solution to the problem of setting system time correctly following a power
failure. An astronomical reference is used to assure accuracy. Reliability
is assured by the simple, elegant design which employs well-proven
technology.

Description

The SD730 is a gnomonic high noon detector that provides a simple, but
elegant solution to the problem of setting system time correctly following
a power failure. This option is particularly valuable for processors
lacking battery backup for their time-of-year (TOY) clock.

Highlights

- Gnomonic interference high noon detector
- High accuracy assured by low-drift astronomical reference
- Connects to existing DR-11C port on VAX-11/730
- Proprietary high-moon rejection design
- Offline mode for standalone time measurement
- User installable and maintainable
- Reliability assured by minimal component count and proven technology
- Heavy duty construction resists solar wind
- Anti-corrosion coating prevents gnomonic plague

Description

The SD730 provides a single bit of data via the DR-11C port of the
VAX-11/730 that encodes all of its sensory information. Decoding is
accomplished by measuring the on/off intervals of this sensor channel.
Derivation of the time and date is accomplished by the SD730 Shadow
Processing Support Software.

Accurate high-noon sensing is obtained by measuring the solar transit time
and computing the midpoint. This algorithm also corrects for variations in
gnomon width, latitude and season. In the event that a cloudless night
permits a high full moon to be seen, it will be differentiated from an
authentic high noon by comparing observed transit time against a reference
solar transit time.

Within 24 hours following power restoration, the SD730 driver software will
restore the correct system time.

Power outages in excess of 24 hours can be accomodated once a reference
year has been accumulated. Day length, solar transit time and their rates
of change are used to recognize the day within the year.

Installation

The SD730 is user installable and comes complete with an installation kit
consisting of a lensatic compass. All software is self-installing and
self-calibrating. The only requirement is that system time be set correctly
and that at least one clear day be allowed for self calibration.

The SD730 will not operate reliably when installed at latitudes greater
than 60 degrees.

Maintenance

While the SD730 is simple and reliable, some environments may necessitate
periodic cleaning of the gnomon and photo-detector. Although the gnomon
shields the photo-detector from debris, this may not be sufficient for
particularly hazardous locations subject to overflights by large flocks of
migratory birds. To assist in problem detection, error log entries will be
made for days without sunshine and weeks without a high noon.

Support Software

A driver and other support software are supplied with the SD730. All
software runs on VAX/VMS.

An optional package is available to produce a local almanac sprinkled
liberally with gnomic sayings and weather predictions, all derived from one
year's solar date.

For severe or hostile environments, a conversion kit consisting of a
fiber-optic cable and adapters is available to convert the SD730 to an
SD730-Tempest.

Specifications

I/O Adapter

DR-11C Connector (single bit)

Power Requirements

9 volt battery (alkaline recommended)
Battery not included
Optional solar cells available

Physical Characteristics

Packaging Free Standing Unit
Weight 4.5kg (10 lbs)
Height 86cm (34 inches)
Width 32cm (12.5 inches)
Depth 32cm (12.5 inches)

Operating Environment

Temperature 5 to 32 degrees C (41 to 90 F)
Relative Humidity 0 to 90%
Maximum Altitude 4.5km (15000 ft)
Latitude 0 to 60 degrees North (*)

Performance

Long Term Accuracy 1 second per year
Operational Reliability Consult your local weather service

*NOTE For installation in the southern hemisphere, order model SL730-SL.

@ 2017-02-02  1:29               ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-02-02  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry -- I Hit send too soon - cut/pasted from slashdot.

Bill - if I can find a hardcopy. I'll scan it.

Clem

@ 2017-02-02  1:34               ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-02-02  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 8:14 PM, Rico Pajarola <rp at servium.ch> wrote:

> this one? http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/102672049

That be the one and only implementation of same. I'm glad to see it was
saved from ZK03 and hope its now safely at the museum.      I was worried
when HP sold the place, a number of the things in the old conference rooms
were lost.

@ 2017-02-02  7:38       ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2017-02-02  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arthur Krewat wrote:
> https://emaillab.jp/pub/hosts/19840210/HOSTS.TXT
> This is a version of the HOSTS file that I found in some of my old
> floppies

Two observations:

- There were many Foonlies around the net.

- WAITS wasn't just running at SAIL, but also at S-1.

But this is off topic, so I'll shut up now.

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-02 13:11           ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-02-02 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 5:11 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>
> > I visited Portland and Santa Clara and I have never
> > seen a more grey cubicle farm in my life.
>
> I don't remember which comic it was, but about 8-10 years ago one the late
> night comedy guys brought a film crew to SC and made that same exact
> observation.

It was Conan O'Brien. You can find it on YouTube.

> While Intel does do many things well, this one is part of company culture
> and I'm not in a position to change it.  I wish I could.

It's a huge blind spot for Intel. They tout it as "everyone is equal"
but they miss that noone who needs peace and quiet to work can work
productively.

> I think the place
> would be a small bit happier if it did not take itself quite so seriously,
> but that's just my personal opinion.

Yes, as a fellow Intel employee, I'd have to agree.

Sigh.

Arnold

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-03  1:51   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-02-03  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 1 Feb 2017, Larry McVoy wrote:

> 	So I get to Tokoyo and the machines show up and I'm installing SunOS
> 	and I have to name them:
>
> 	3/260: BigTIT
> 	3/50: LeftTIT
> 	3/50: RightTIT

Back at UNSW/USyd we had some sypware (to keep an eye upon the kiddies
breaking SUID programs) named /etc/lefttit (the monitor) and /etc/righttit
(the reporting program); a bra was under construction...

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-02-03  5:50 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2017-02-03  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

By the way, telehack.com is a great place to discover historical
machines.

At first glance, it just appears to be a plain prompt with a few
commands and games available.  But it's MUCH MORE than that, so stick it
out for a few minutes.

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-03 12:59   ` Tim Bradshaw
From: Tim Bradshaw @ 2017-02-03 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am not sure if I remember this or if I was told it later, but mcvax was a very important machine for people in Europe (like me) as it was a big gateway (for usenet? I forget).  Its name was in lots of people's heads and probably lots of scripts &c.  So at some point they got a new machine which, obviously, was a Sun.  So, at that point they had two choices:

- keep the old name, even though it wasn't a VAX any more;
- rename it to something which was platform-neutral so the pain would only happen once.

And they took the third option: rename it, but wire-in the platform *again* thus causing pain now and more pain later.  Oh dear.

On the subject of hostnames, has anyone mentioned prep / prep.ai.mit.edu?  All the GNU software came from that in the mid 1980s, anyway.  I think 'prep' meant 'document preparation', I don't know what it was.

--tim

@ 2017-02-03 14:04   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-02-03 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 1 Feb 2017, Jacob Goense wrote:

> - kremvax
> Fictional machine. Suitable for jokes, routers related to anything in the
> east.

The most famous spoofed address would be moscvax!kremvax!kgbvax!gorby ...

I think KRE posted from there back one April 1st (alas, I never saved it).

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-03 14:11     ` Jacob Goense
From: Jacob Goense @ 2017-02-03 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-02-03 09:04, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Feb 2017, Jacob Goense wrote:
>
>> - kremvax
>> Fictional machine. Suitable for jokes, routers related to anything in
>> the
>> east.
>
> The most famous spoofed address would be moscvax!kremvax!kgbvax!gorby
>
> I think KRE posted from there back one April 1st (alas, I never saved
> it).

Piet saved it at http://godfatherof.nl/kremvax.html

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-03 15:12       ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-02-03 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

owl% nslookup kremvax.demos.su
Server:         199.89.231.20
Address:        199.89.231.20#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   kremvax.demos.su
Address: 194.87.0.20

owl% whois -h whois.ripe.net 194.87.0.20
% This is the RIPE Database query service.
% The objects are in RPSL format.
%
% The RIPE Database is subject to Terms and Conditions.
% See http://www.ripe.net/db/support/db-terms-conditions.pdf

% Note: this output has been filtered.
%       To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag.

% Information related to '194.87.0.0 - 194.87.3.255'

% Abuse contact for '194.87.0.0 - 194.87.3.255' is 'abuse at relcom.net'

inetnum:        194.87.0.0 - 194.87.3.255
netname:        DEMOS-CORP
descr:          DEMOS Corporate Network
descr:          Demos Plus Co. Ltd.
descr:          Moscow, Russia
country:        RU
admin-c:        DNOC-ORG
tech-c:         DNOC-ORG
status:         ASSIGNED PA
mnt-by:         AS2578-MNT
created:        2002-05-24T05:47:32Z
last-modified:  2006-10-19T12:41:45Z
source:         RIPE

http://kremvax.demos.su/

  kremvax.demos.su

  1992-1995-2016

  R.I.P.

@ 2017-02-04  3:46             ` Steve Johnson
From: Steve Johnson @ 2017-02-04  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

About a decade ago, I attended a workshop at an Intel location in
Mass.  There were about 50 outside people.  We were in a rather nice
room across from a break room which provided coffee and sodas.

Just as we were about to start, someone showed up and informed us all
that the break room was for the exclusive use of Intel Employees, and
outside visitors were not permitted to use it.  And then they left.
The Intel hosts rolled their eyes and set up a system whereby we could
ask an Intel employee to get us whatever we wanted from the break
room.  The workshop was pretty good anyway...

@ 2017-02-04  3:56               ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-02-04  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Intel was a big customer of ours and we found it highly amusing how
secretive they were about CPU code names and product plans.  You could
go to Wikipedia and see all that stuff.  At the time they thought it
was a secret.

They were just as secretive about their employees.  Yet you could look
up any one of them on Linkedin and see what they've been doing at Intel.

Strange culture.  Seems to generate some good CPUs but I wonder if that
is because of that culture or in spite of it?

--
---

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-04 22:48                 ` Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2017-02-04 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3 February 2017 at 22:56, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
[...]
> Strange culture.  Seems to generate some good CPUs but I wonder if that
> is because of that culture or in spite of it?

Well, there are stories such as this ->
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/07/10/intels_tanglewood_pumped_full/

N.

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-06  5:41       ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-02-06  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017, Jacob Goense wrote:

> Piet saved it at http://godfatherof.nl/kremvax.html

Thank you!  Thank you!

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-02  9:59 Rudi Blom
From: Rudi Blom @ 2017-02-02  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Slartibartfast brings back fond memories of THHGTTG.

Of course those in IT simply know that with a Guide and a towel
there's no need to panic :-)

Cheers,
rudi

* [TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?
@ 2017-02-01 22:27 Berny Goodheart
From: Berny Goodheart @ 2017-02-01 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

You might find this interesting reading:
http://www.livinginternet.com/u/ui_netexplodes.htm <http://www.livinginternet.com/u/ui_netexplodes.htm>
In particular inhp4. I used to have a UUCP map that linked me into this network back in the mid 80s. I was based in the UK doing some work for Henry Spencer at Microport Systems if any of you recall their iX286 System V port, which was pretty cool.

Anyway, there are some interesting machine names mentioned.

From: smb@ulysses.att.com
Subject: Re: IHNP4
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 90 20:48:42 EDT

> Thus, ihnp4 was Indian Hill Network Processor #4
> mh was Murray Hill. ak was the Atlanta Wire Works, sb was Southern

> Bell, cb was Columbus (Mark Horton was mark at cbosgd for a long time)
> plus others.

Yup, Columbus Operating Systems Group D, as I recall.

@ 2017-02-01 22:16 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-02-01 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Clem Cole

    > my printers have often been named after chainsaws

Yeah, MIT (or was it Proteon, I forget - a long time ago :-) had that theme
going for a while for printers...

    > @ DEC we were pretty free to use what we wanted and some were themed,
    > most were boring.

Hah! I do have a cosmically great computer naming story from DEC, though.

So DECNet host names were limited to N characters (where N=8, or some
such). So one day they get this complaint from some DEC user in the UK:

"Grumble, grumble, grumble, N-character limit in DECNet host names, we want to
name our host 'Slartibartfast'."

So, this being before a certain radio play had hit the US from the UK, the
people at DEC were like:

"What's a 'Slartibartfast'???"

Instantly, the reply shot back (and perhaps some of you saw this coming):

"Boy, you guys are so unhip it's a wonder your pants down fall down!" :-) :-)

      Noel