The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Will Senn <will.senn@gmail.com>
To: Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc: TUHS main list <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] 211BSD Version in the Unix Archive
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 13:03:57 -0500	[thread overview]

On 7/20/20 12:49 PM, Warner Losh wrote:

> You should look at the canonical tuhs archive at
> https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD/
I'll do that.

>     So far as I can figure out (and I'm a little bit fuzzy around the
>     edges), this appears to be patch level 431, at least according to
>     https://tuhs.v6shell.org/UnixArchiveMirror/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD/VERSION.
>     I have a number of questions that hopefully, someone can shed some
>     light on:
>

>     1. Is it really pl 431?
>

> Yes.  It is.
Excellent. Thanks for the confirmation.

>     2. How can I tell?
>

> VERSION is always updated, so it is. If you are in doubt, you can look
> at the patch files that's at
> https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD/Patches/ and
> they all update VERSION.

Got it.

>     3. Is it the latest tape image available (I've seen plenty of disk
>     images, but those are already installed)?
>

> Yes. Well, almost.
> https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD_patch457/ has a
> tape that's updated to 457, lacking only the last 12 changes. A most
> current tape hasn't been regenerated, at least in the archives. A
> quick search of github shows there's a few PiDP-11 oriented versions
> but I've not looked closely at them.
When folks 'regenerate' the tape, is it simply a matter of writing to
the tape device from the patched disk inside the 211BSD instance or are
there some arcane activities involved?

>     4. Is there a howto bring it up to the next patch level document
>     lying around somewhere?
>

> There's two or three efforts to create shell scripts to apply the
> patches. I've not looked closely at them all yet...
>
>     I've seen Warner's work on going the other direction and that's
>     fascinating in it's own right, but I'd like to see about patching
>     up to latest
>
> When my work is done, there will be a github repo that has all the
> changes applied, one at a time which can be used to generate context
> diffs or something else that can be pushed to the PDP-11s that can be
> updated.
Nice. You said something like this the other day, but at the time, I
didn't quite get how relevant it would be. Now that I understand what
you're talking about, it sounds great.

Will

--
GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF