The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Legality of porting ancient Unix.
@ 2005-10-11 14:26 Jose R Valverde
From: Jose R Valverde @ 2005-10-11 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Does anyone know where and how one obtains the
"ancient unix" sources,
>particularly 32V?

Pardon?

Obviously, at TUHS!

        www.tuhs.org

particularly

ftp://minnie.tuhs.org/UnixArchive/VAX/Distributions/32V

Renovamos el Correo Yahoo!
Nuevos servicios, más seguridad
http://correo.yahoo.es

* [TUHS] Legality of porting ancient Unix.
@ 2005-10-11 14:32 ` Duncan Anderson
From: Duncan Anderson @ 2005-10-11 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jose R Valverde wrote:

>>Does anyone know where and how one obtains the
>>

>"ancient unix" sources,
>

>>particularly 32V?
>>

>Pardon?
>
>Obviously, at TUHS!
>
>        www.tuhs.org
>
>particularly
>

>ftp://minnie.tuhs.org/UnixArchive/VAX/Distributions/32V

Right! Sorry, I should have checked. I haven't looked at the archives
for years.

cheers
Duncan

* [TUHS] Legality of porting ancient UNIX
@ 2005-10-11 21:39 ` M. Warner Losh
From: M. Warner Losh @ 2005-10-11 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message: <20051011212300.48800.qmail at web26109.mail.ukl.yahoo.com>
            Jose R Valverde <txomsy at yahoo.es> writes: One of the
: factors that helped settle (again if I remember well) was that ATT
: had failed to adequately state its Copyright on UNIX version 32V
: (may be more, my memory's weak) that had been distributed in source
: code, and hence those sources by the then current Copyright law, had
: fallen in the Public Domain.

The text you quoted makes it clear that the judge didn't rule that
they had fallen into the public domain.  He'd ruled that he didn't
think that AT&T would be successful at demonstrating a good copyright
title to the code if the matter went to trial.  A subtle difference,
to be sure, but an important one.

However, given that caldera released them with a bsd-like license, I
think the issue is effectively moot at this point...

Warner

* [TUHS] Legality of porting ancient UNIX
@ 2005-10-11 21:23 Jose R Valverde
From: Jose R Valverde @ 2005-10-11 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, if I remember well, there was this little nifty
legal argument between ATT USL and UCB  BSDI in the
early '90s
that was settled out of court.

One of the factors that helped settle (again if I
remember well)
was that ATT had failed to adequately state its
Copyright
on UNIX version 32V (may be more, my memory's weak)
that
had been distributed in source code, and hence those
sources by the then current Copyright law, had fallen
in
the Public Domain.

Then, if my recollection is right (better look at the
documents on the case available on dmr's web page),
you
could do as you well damn please with those sources.

http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/bsdi/bsdisuit.html

From one of the rulings:

"Consequently, I find that Plaintiff has failed to
demonstrate a likelihood that it can successfully
defend its copyright in 32V. Plaintiff's claims of
copyright violations are not a basis for injunctive
relief."

For others, the license otorgued by Caldera when they
released the source (a BSD look-alike) would allow you
to as well to a large extent.

No need to go to the Open Group. Besides, they own the
trademark (i.e. you could not call the product UNIX
without their permission) but not the code (besides
their own microkernel developments).

@ 2005-10-11 19:48       ` Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2005-10-11 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Bill Cunningham @ 2005-10-11 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Duncan Anderson @ 2005-10-11 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hellwig.Geisse at mni.fh-giessen.de wrote:

>Hi Duncan,
>
>On 11-Oct-2005 Duncan Anderson wrote:
>

>>Does anyone know where and how one obtains the "ancient unix" sources,
>>particularly 32V?
>>
>>Who does one speak to?
>>
>>regards
>>Duncan
>>

>the best source I know of is
>http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/
>(not very surprising, I guess).
>In subdirectory VAX/Distributions/32V
>you find the file 32v_usr.tar.gz.
>Unpack this file, then go to the
>subdirectory /usr/src/sys.
>
>Regards,
>Hellwig

Thanks.

I should have checked. The last time I looked, probably 2 years ago, I
don't think it was there.

regards
Duncan

* [TUHS] Legality of porting ancient Unix.
@ 2005-10-11 14:18       ` Hellwig.Geisse
From: Hellwig.Geisse @ 2005-10-11 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

----------------------------------
E-Mail: Hellwig.Geisse at mni.fh-giessen.de
Date: 11-Oct-2005
Time: 16:04:42

This message was sent by XFMail
----------------------------------

* [TUHS] Legality of porting ancient Unix.
@ 2005-10-11 12:35     ` Duncan Anderson
From: Duncan Anderson @ 2005-10-11 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-10-11  6:38   ` Hellwig.Geisse
From: Hellwig.Geisse @ 2005-10-11  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

E-Mail: Hellwig.Geisse at mni.fh-giessen.de
Date: 11-Oct-2005
Time: 08:32:09

@ 2005-10-11  6:32   ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2005-10-11  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, 10 October 2005 at 23:17:30 -0700, John Chung wrote:
> There has been a lot of talk about ancient unix
> lately. I do know there are quite a few ports for the
> ancient unix but the main question is it legal? It is
> possible to port and distribute the port without the
> warth of the company that owns the IP?

Yes, it's legal.  Our good friends Caldera (now known as SCO) released
Ancient UNIX under a BSD-style license a few years back.  See
http://www.lemis.com/grog/UNIX/ for further details.

Greg
* [TUHS] Legality of porting ancient Unix.
       [not found] <mailman.3.1128996000.90839.tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
@ 2005-10-11  6:17 ` John Chung
From: John Chung @ 2005-10-11  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

There has been a lot of talk about ancient unix
lately. I do know there are quite a few ports for the
ancient unix but the main question is it legal? It is
possible to port and distribute the port without the
warth of the company that owns the IP?

Regards,
John Chung

Yahoo! Music Unlimited