The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Loud machines (was Compatibility Question)
@ 2023-12-20  4:11 Douglas McIlroy
From: Douglas McIlroy @ 2023-12-20  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

> Paul -- you left out the other "feature" -- the noise, which was still
deafening even with a model N1 and its cover.

It was indeed loud, but GE out-roared them with a blindingly fast card
reader. The machine had a supposedly gentle touch; it grabbed cards with
vacuum rather than tongs. But the make-and-break pneumatic explosions
sounded like a machine gun. A noise meter I borrowed from the Labs' tool
crib read 90db 6 feet away.

Doug

* [TUHS] Re: Loud machines (was Compatibility Question)
@ 2023-12-20  7:12 ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2023-12-20  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, douglas.mcilroy

As late as 1981, the university I attended had an IBM 1130. Mainly it
was programmed in Fortran IV (but only 5 letters allowed in an identifier,
not 6) but it also had a Cobol compiler.

The Cobol compiler read cards about 1 every 3/4 second. By contrast, when
the Fortran compiler was reading cards, it sounded like a machine gun firing.

I wrote a program similar to banner(1) but that made the big letters up
out of the actual letters in Fortran. Although the cards are long gone, I
still have the code. :-)

Arnold

@ 2023-12-21  3:56 ` Rod Bartlett via TUHS
From: Rod Bartlett via TUHS @ 2023-12-21  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)