The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Charles Forsyth on putting Unix on a diet.
@ 2017-10-27 10:36 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-10-27 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Steve Nickolas

    > I personally believe a lot of code in modern operating systems is larger
    > than the task requires.

The "operating" is superfluous.

    Noel

* [TUHS] Charles Forsyth on putting Unix on a diet.
@ 2017-10-28 13:11 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2017-10-28 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Torek:

  You're not perpendicular to your own surface?  :-)

===

I'm not as limber as I used to be.

Besides, I'm left-handed, so what use would I have for
right angles?

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON
(I don't wish to know that)

* [TUHS] Charles Forsyth on putting Unix on a diet.
@ 2017-10-27 21:30 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2017-10-27 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

George Michaelson:

  wish I hadn't read "Norman Wilson" as "Norman Wisdom" (british
  prat-fall comedian in the style of Jerry Lewis)

===

It's much better than the more-common typo in which
people call me normal.  Neither accurate nor an
aspiration.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Charles Forsyth on putting Unix on a diet.
@ 2017-10-26 14:57 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2017-10-26 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

As an admirer of minimalism, who has given talks that extol
Norman Wilson's streamlining of research Unix, I naturally
like Forsythe's thesis.

I noticed unintended irony in one more or less throw-away remark:
"It is dangerous to place too much hope in any improvement coming from just
following new fashions, if we lack insight into what really went wrong
before. Without that insight, I suspect that rewriting UNIX in C++,
for example, could easily become an excuse for increasing complexity
(because by using C++ `we can handle more complexity')."

Bjarne Stroustrup's avowed reason for building cfront, which
evolved into C++, was to have a tool for building an operating
system in object-oriented style. The tool took on a life of
its own, and arguably became more complex than the old-fashioned
Unix he aspired to improve on.

Doug

* [TUHS] Charles Forsyth on putting Unix on a diet.
@ 2017-10-25  2:51 Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2017-10-25  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've always enjoyed this paper; recently I found occasion to thumb
through it again. I thought I'd pass it on; I'm curious what some on
the list think about this given their first-hand knowledge of relevant
history (Larry, I'm looking at you; especially with respect his
comments on the VM system).

        - Dan C.

http://www.terzarima.net/doc/taste.pdf