The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] v8 /etc/motd
@ 2023-08-08 19:25 ron minnich
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2023-08-08 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Sorry if this has been asked before, but:
"Welcome to Eighth Edition Unix.   You may be sure that it
is suitably protected by ironclad licences, contractual agreements,
living wills, and trade secret laws of every sort.  A trolley car is
certain to grow in your stomach if you violate the conditions
under which you got this tape.  Consult your lawyer in case of any doubt.
If doubt persists, consult our lawyers.

Please commit this message to memory.  If this is a hardcopy terminal,
tear off the paper and affix it to your machine.  Otherwise
take a photo of your screen.  Then delete /etc/motd.

Thank you for choosing Eighth Edition Unix.  Have a nice day."

was this one person or a group effort. It's wonderful.

* [TUHS] Re: v8 /etc/motd
@ 2023-08-08 19:44 ` Ron Natalie
From: Ron Natalie @ 2023-08-08 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

My favorite MOTD is:

You might have mail.

I told one of my student operators that if he put that in there before
the morning was out, someone would be in my office to tell me they got
the message but they didn’t have any mail.
I wasn’t expecting it to be one of my senior programmers.   Well, it
only said you MIGHT have mail.

Somewhere there was a post circulating around with humorous MOTDs.
That was on it, I believe.

* [TUHS] Re: v8 /etc/motd
@ 2023-08-08 20:00   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2023-08-08 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Natalie; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

"you might have mail" -- nice.

Kind of like the Plan 9
"Press almost any key to reboot..."

This was from the late Jim McKie, who realized that the PC keyboard
had a few keys that would not count as a keypress.

jmk once claimed to me, with a smile on his face, that Ken said the
message was pedantic :-)

On Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 12:44 PM Ron Natalie <ron@ronnatalie.com> wrote:

> My favorite MOTD is:
>
> You might have mail.
>
> I told one of my student operators that if he put that in there before
> the morning was out, someone would be in my office to tell me they got
> the message but they didn’t have any mail.
> I wasn’t expecting it to be one of my senior programmers.   Well, it
> only said you MIGHT have mail.
>
> Somewhere there was a post circulating around with humorous MOTDs.
> That was on it, I believe.

* [TUHS] Re: v8 /etc/motd
@ 2023-08-09 14:27 ` Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2023-08-09 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On August 8, 2023 3:25:02 p.m. EDT, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
>was this one person or a group effort. It's wonderful.

Sorry, if we told you we'd have to sue you.

Norman Wilson, IANAL
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Re: v8 /etc/motd
@ 2023-08-09 22:43     ` Kenneth Goodwin
From: Kenneth Goodwin @ 2023-08-09 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

But Sir
I can't find the

ALMOST ANY

Key on my keyboard.
Please help me locate it 🙏

On Tue, Aug 8, 2023, 4:00 PM ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:

> "you might have mail" -- nice.
>
> Kind of like the Plan 9
> "Press almost any key to reboot..."
>
> This was from the late Jim McKie, who realized that the PC keyboard
> had a few keys that would not count as a keypress.
>
> jmk once claimed to me, with a smile on his face, that Ken said the
> message was pedantic :-)
>
> On Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 12:44 PM Ron Natalie <ron@ronnatalie.com> wrote:
> >
> > My favorite MOTD is:
> >
> > You might have mail.
> >
> > I told one of my student operators that if he put that in there before
> > the morning was out, someone would be in my office to tell me they got
> > the message but they didn’t have any mail.
> > I wasn’t expecting it to be one of my senior programmers.   Well, it
> > only said you MIGHT have mail.
> >
> > Somewhere there was a post circulating around with humorous MOTDs.
> > That was on it, I believe.

* [TUHS] Re: v8 /etc/motd
@ 2023-08-10  1:03 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2023-08-10  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Aug 8, 2023, at 12:25 PM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry if this has been asked before, but:
> "Welcome to Eighth Edition Unix.   You may be sure that it
> is suitably protected by ironclad licences, contractual agreements,
> living wills, and trade secret laws of every sort.  A trolley car is
> certain to grow in your stomach if you violate the conditions
> under which you got this tape.  Consult your lawyer in case of any doubt.
> If doubt persists, consult our lawyers.
>
> Please commit this message to memory.  If this is a hardcopy terminal,
> tear off the paper and affix it to your machine.  Otherwise
> take a photo of your screen.  Then delete /etc/motd.
>
> Thank you for choosing Eighth Edition Unix.  Have a nice day."
>
> was this one person or a group effort. It's wonderful.

May you can use an online plagiarism checker to find out!

* [TUHS] Re: v8 /etc/motd
@ 2023-08-10  8:16 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2023-08-10  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

probably local, but i do remember:

“Error 17. press control + backslash + underscore + exclamation mark to continue; or any other key to reboot.”