The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Gavin Tersteeg <gctersteeg@gmail.com>
To: Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc: tuhs@tuhs.org
Subject: [TUHS] Re: LSX issues and musing
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 16:37:32 -0500	[thread overview]

A lot of it was me just learning how V6 works in general. Getting V6 to
boot on a simulated 11/23 was pretty easy (I had some issues getting it to
compile at first, but it worked after I got that sorted out). Adding the
RL02 and RX02 drivers was a tiny bit more difficult. I would say that the
most difficult part was writing a RX02 boot program, trying to fit that
into 512 bytes with interleave code took a few days.

You were right about the source of the issue. I incorrectly assumed that
the EIS flag was only set in header.lsx.s, but it is also set in param.h.
The default param.h has the EIS symbol define commented out, while
header.lsx.s has it uncommented. By uncommenting the define in param.h and
recompiling decfd.c, it allows the kernel to be successfully linked. The
current kernel that builds is too big to be used with a 16K kernel size,
but I think I just need to recompile everything with the new param.h, and
maybe adjust a few other parameters.

I will look into getting an EIS chip. I'm probably going to move up to the
20K kernel size regardless, as I need the extra memory for changes that I
want to make to the kernel. I am betting that the "0: Missing temp file"
thing is due to some sort of file I/O issue, so I'll read into the compiler
source to see what is generating it.