The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Richard Salz <rich.salz@gmail.com>
To: Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc: TUHS main list <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Traditional method of dealing with embedded shar files
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 14:08:23 -0400	[thread overview]

shar, by the way, stands for "shell archive."  That is, it's an archive
that could be unpacked by feeding the file into sh.
The most complete unshar is probably at
http://sources.vsta.org/comp.sources.unix/volume15/cshar/  It's portable C
(for its time, 20 years ago). Safety, in terms of not trashing an existing
file, was a goal.