The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS]  late research unix question
@ 2009-12-02  0:30 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2009-12-02  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Newsham:

  Does anyone know if emulators are capable of running 8th ed
  unix or later?  What about emulation of the bitblit?

========

Who knows what blitjerq lurks in the hearts of men?

Seriously, an emulator with appropriate CPU settings should
be able to run latter-day Research UNIX without much trouble.
8/e would need a VAX-11/780 or 750; 10/e would work on a
VAX 8550 or 8700 (only one CPU, though) or a MicroVAX II
or III.  I forget just when the MicroVAX work was first
done (by Ted Kowalski, who in an earlier day wrote fsck),
so I'm not sure at what point in the 9/e era it appeared;
but since 8/e was the last really organized tape we made,
it doesn't really matter.

As others have pointed out, the blit/jerq code didn't
run on the VAX, but in a separate terminal.  For that
you'd need an emulator for the MC68000 or the WE32100.
By the time the 8/e tape was cut, the 68K-based Blits
had pretty much been retired; I'm not sure that code
would be as interesting to resurrect as that for the
WE32100-based Teletype 5620 DMD.  Of course you'd
also have to emulate all the I/O devices, including
the decidedly-non-PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

I don't remember for sure any more (maybe Dennis does),
but the jerq code may have been on a separate tape
because the special C compiler for that CPU chip wasn't
easily redistributed--it came from the commercial side
of AT&T, not the research part.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] late research unix question
@ 2009-12-02  0:43 ` Al Kossow
From: Al Kossow @ 2009-12-02  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman Wilson wrote:
> Tim Newsham:
>
>   Does anyone know if emulators are capable of running 8th ed
>   unix or later?  What about emulation of the bitblit?
>
> ========
>
> Who knows what blitjerq lurks in the hearts of men?

brouhaha knows!

http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/retrocomputing/att/5620/

* [TUHS] late research unix question
@ 2009-12-02  0:48 ` M. Warner Losh
From: M. Warner Losh @ 2009-12-02  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Would the bitblit protocol be easier to emulate that then whole
machine?

* [TUHS] late research unix question
@ 2009-12-02  1:11   ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2009-12-02  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

The protocol isn't the problem.  All the binaries that get pushed over
it is the problem.  The Jerq down loaded programs to run on the
terminal.  That's why sam is in two parts.

Brantley

@ 2009-12-01 23:43   ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2009-12-01 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Bitblt ran on the terminals, (blit, jerq, 630/730) not the kernel.

right, which is why I bring it up specifically.  It obviously
wouldnt run on the simh vax simulator.  a 68k emulator of some
sort would be needed.  Though it may be moot.  I'm told that
the 8th ed unix distribution was often in two tapes and that
the contents of the second tape, which include the blit stuff,
may be lost to history.

Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com

* [TUHS] late research unix question
@ 2009-12-01 22:06 ` Brantley Coile