The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS]  /usr/bin/bs on HPUX?
@ 2008-12-17 14:27 Jose R. Valverde
From: Jose R. Valverde @ 2008-12-17 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bit of digging:

> 1.  "bs" was written at AT&T, probably at the Labs, at some time between
> the release of 32V and System III.  It was part of both System III and
> at least some System V releases.

And of course it is in TUHS! Remember we have 32V and SIII. For example,
look into

	TUHS/Other/Distributions/Plexis_Sys3/
or
	TUHS/PDP-11/Distributions/usdl/SysIII/

The sources contain 'bs' under cmd/bs

The latter one (under USDL) contains also the man page under usr/src/man/man1
(as 'bs.1').

So, there. You have it.

This leads me to consider we would greatly benefit from an expanded and
indexed TUHS repository tree. I made one on my mirror long ago, but a
series of disk crashes ended with it. Maybe, if there is interest I
could do it again.

			EMBnet/CNB
		Scientific Computing Service
	Solving all your computer needs for Scientific
			Research.

		http://bioportal.cnb.csic.es
		  http://www.es.embnet.org

* [TUHS] /usr/bin/bs on HPUX?
@ 2008-12-10  0:30 Lord Doomicus
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lord Doomicus @ 2008-12-10  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was poking around an HP UX system at work today, and noticed a
command I've never noticed before ... /usr/bin/bs.

I'm sure it's been there for a long time, even though I've been an
HPUX admin for more than a decade, sometimes I'm just blind ... but
anyway ....

I tried to search on google ... it looks like only HPUX, AIX, and
Maybe AU/X has it.  Seems to be some kind of pseudo BASIC like
interpreter.

Anyone ever use it for anything?  Has anyone even noticed it before?
I'll have to boot my Crimson to see if IRIX has it.

- Derrik

Derrik Walker v2.0, RHCE
lorddoomicus at mac.com
http://www.doomd.net

"There's nothing nice about Steve Jobs and there's nothing evil about
Bill Gates."
	-- Chuck Peddle, MOS 6502 Chip Designer