The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] V7 UNIX on VAX 11/750
@ 2003-06-26 22:54 John Willis
From: John Willis @ 2003-06-26 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just noticed in the publication data for "The UNIX Programming Environment"
that
it was created on a VAX 11/750 running V7 UNIX. How is this possible? I have
an 11/750 and V7 is my favorite UNIX... if I could do this, it would be
awesome.

Anyone have any insights?

* [TUHS] V7 UNIX on VAX 11/750
@ 2003-06-26 23:15 ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-06-26 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again from Gregg C Levine
I have a copy here of it, and I'll check it, and also a copy of the C
book. John, yes it was, and the one for C, is the 9th one of UNIX, on
the 8550. Is it possible, gang, that the releases for the VAX, track a
different sequence of events, then for the PDP-11? But more
importantly, both books were done using the UNIX tools and using
output devices that are actually typesetters, rather then printers. I
know. I've met both. However, considering that the author of the first
is one of the authors for the definitive C book, would they have had
access to unreleased versions?

Dennis you worked on that historic text with Brian Kernighan, and the
book we are talking about, Brian worked with someone else, can you
check on my assertions, and report back?

John, you have a 11/750? Where do you keep it?
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

* [TUHS] V7 UNIX on VAX 11/750
@ 2003-06-26 23:24   ` John Willis
From: John Willis @ 2003-06-26 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have an entire room of my house dedicated to computers including a VAX
11/750, a MicroVAX 3100, a VAXstation 3100, a VAXstation 2000, a MicroVAX
II, and a huge HP 9000/800 I40... Needless to say, it gets hot.

Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

* [TUHS] V7 UNIX on VAX 11/750
@ 2003-06-27  3:28 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2003-06-27  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fear not, Gregg; no twists intended or assumed.  It could well be
that there was an earlier print run of The UNIX Programming Environment
that got it wrong and claimed to be done with V7 on an 11/750.  But
I've never seen it (which is why I specified the exact edition and
printing I was quoting); and if it said that it was an error or a fib.

So far as I know nobody ever did a port of straight V7 to a VAX.
TUPE was written just before I arrived at the Labs; it's possible
that the 11/70 was still around during the writing, though it was
gone before I came.  I don't know whether the name V8 was coined
before the 11/70 was retired.  Maybe Dennis remembers more.

The original edition of The C Programming Language was certainly
done on an 11/70; it may have been published before the VAX hardware
existed in the field, and certainly before that part of Bell Labs
had one.  My beat-up paperback copy (copyright 1978, third printing)
credits Graphic Systems for the typesetter, the 11/70 for the system
hardware, but just says UNIX--no version stated--for the OS.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] V7 UNIX on VAX 11/750
@ 2003-06-27  1:00 ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-06-27  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again from Gregg C Levine
Don't go getting your panties in a twist, Norman, (to quote an old
friend.), I did look before completing the posting. And yes it did say
that. I have here a personal edition of the C book, (I bought it,
because I wanted to have the thing here when I did work in the
language, and needed to double check a reference.).

I have out a copy of the book that John is kvetching about from my
local library. I checked that one, and it strangely enough agrees with
what you're saying, and with John too. I find it, ah, logical, that
the guys would use a Mergenthaler Linotron 202 typesetter for their
print runs. Actually the word is imagesetter. But that term will do.
As I recall you worked there for a while, and do know what you're
talking about, so I'm not going to indulge myself in a flame war.
Besides I've actually done enough typesetting so as to be able to
argue the point with the bit brains at Adobe, so I'll even agree with
you now.
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net