The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] Installing begemot
@ 2004-08-11 17:28 Robin Birch
From: Robin Birch @ 2004-08-11 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,
Well I know it's been quiet for ages on this but hopefully someone is
listening.

I've just started to put P11 on a new Linux box and am having problems
building begemot.  It keeps blowing out when compiling panic.  Is there
a more recent version or are there some obvious patches I can do.

Regards

Robin
--
Robin Birch

* [pups] Installing begemot
@ 2004-08-11 23:54 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2004-08-11 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, 11 August 2004 at 18:28:13 +0100, Robin Birch wrote:
> Hi All,
> Well I know it's been quiet for ages on this but hopefully someone is
> listening.
>
> I've just started to put P11 on a new Linux box and am having problems
> building begemot.  It keeps blowing out when compiling panic.  Is there
> a more recent version or are there some obvious patches I can do.

It hasn't been updated in a while IIRC.  What are your error messages?

Greg
--
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
From: Robin Birch @ 2004-08-12 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg,
I've sent you a list of what I get.  I think, from the messages that I
am getting the problem is in the various selections in the header file.
I got it through by changing the definitions in the .c files.  The
compiler doesn't seem to handle variations in the declarations very
well.

All,
I have a different problem as well.  There is something broken in the
configuration of this computer!!!!!  If I execute a shell file by going
/bin/sh filename then it works ok but if I try running a shell script
with #!/bin/sh in the first line I get a bad permission error.  This is
preventing me from running make scripts and all sorts of things.  Any
ideas?

Robin
--
Robin Birch

* [pups] Installing begemot
       [not found]     ` <411BBDD3.3050400@sun.com>
@ 2004-08-12 20:29       ` Robin Birch
       [not found]         ` <411BD929.4080009@sun.com>
From: Robin Birch @ 2004-08-12 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message <411BBDD3.3050400 at sun.com>, Chris Drake <chris.drake at sun.com>
writes
>I'd be interested in seeing your results and final analysis for begemot.
>I tried (briefly) getting it to run and gave up.  Post 'em!
>
>> I have a different problem as well.  There is something broken in the
>>configuration of this computer!!!!!  If I execute a shell file by
>>going /bin/sh filename then it works ok but if I try running a shell
>>script  with #!/bin/sh in the first line I get a bad permission error.
>
>Starting with the simplest possibility --  if you run "sh filename", all
>you need are read permissions on the file.  If you run "filename" with the
>#!/bin/sh in the first line, the filename itself needs to have execute
>permissions enabled.
>
>Try  chmod a+x filename  and see if that helps.
>
>If that's not the issue, then more detail on the error message would be
>good.  There are tons of different messages and if you don't get the exact
>right one when you're trying to debug, you can go down lots of wild rat
>holes...
>
>       - Chris

Hi Chris,
The most curious one is a "bad interpreter" one.  This is what I get
along with the permissions moan.  But curiously if I run it sh filename
then all works.

It is as though there is some global shell permissions set up that is
munged.

Robin
--
Robin Birch

* [pups] Installing begemot
       [not found]     ` <411BBDD3.3050400@sun.com>
@ 2004-08-12 20:39     ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2004-08-12 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 06:49:11PM +0100, Robin Birch wrote:
> I have a different problem as well.  There is something broken in the
> configuration of this computer!!!!!  If I execute a shell file by going
> /bin/sh filename then it works ok but if I try running a shell script
> with #!/bin/sh in the first line I get a bad permission error.  This is
> preventing me from running make scripts and all sorts of things.  Any
> ideas?

More details please. Which is "this computer"? What OS and version is it
running? What's your login shell? Is the shell script executable?

	Warren

* [pups] Installing begemot
@ 2004-08-12 21:12       ` Robin Birch
From: Robin Birch @ 2004-08-12 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message <20040812203916.GA28699 at minnie.tuhs.org>, Warren Toomey
<wkt at tuhs.org> writes
>On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 06:49:11PM +0100, Robin Birch wrote:
>> I have a different problem as well.  There is something broken in the
>> configuration of this computer!!!!!  If I execute a shell file by going
>> /bin/sh filename then it works ok but if I try running a shell script
>> with #!/bin/sh in the first line I get a bad permission error.  This is
>> preventing me from running make scripts and all sorts of things.  Any
>> ideas?
>
>More details please. Which is "this computer"? What OS and version is it
>running? What's your login shell? Is the shell script executable?
>
>       Warren
Hi Warren,
SuSE Linux Version 8.
bash shell also tried with tsch
Shell script permissions 755

I also get a bad interpreter message if I try and exec the scripts.

Cheers

Robin

Robin Birch

* [pups] Installing begemot
       [not found]         ` <411BD929.4080009@sun.com>
@ 2004-08-12 21:14           ` Robin Birch
From: Robin Birch @ 2004-08-12 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message <411BD929.4080009 at sun.com>, Chris Drake <Chris.Drake at sun.com>
writes
>> The most curious one is a "bad interpreter" one.  This is what I get
>>along with the permissions moan.  But curiously if I run it sh
>>filename then all works.
>>  It is as though there is some global shell permissions set up that
>>is munged.
>
>Hoo, you've got a weirdo, all right.  Darn, I was hoping it was trivial.
>
>Bad interpreter: sounds like the first line where you select "the shell"
>is munched somehow.  Officially, you can select any interpreter you want -
>but you gotta get the name right.  :)
>
>More thoughts:
>       - any problems with the pathname?  Is it /bin/sh and nothing else?
>       - check perms on /, /bin, and /bin/sh just in case something got
>         zapped
>       - what's your normal shell?  How about it you change /bin/sh to
>         the thing you run normally?
>       - does anything follow the "sh" on the line?  Like, perchance any
>         strange nonprintable chars that might be interpreted as a part
>         of the name or as a parameter to the shell?
>       - try #!/bin/sh -x   to see if you get any output from the script
>         as it's run
>       - do other scripts like one-liners work OK?  Ie,
>               #!/bin/sh
>               echo hello world
>       - any other messages?
>
>Just saw Warren's email, and he has a few good ones as well - like, what are
>you running on?  :)
>
>       - Chris

Hi Chris,
See my reply to Warren.  I'll try this all tomorrow, the system is in
work.

Cheers

Robin
--
Robin Birch

* [pups] Installing begemot
@ 2004-08-13 12:36         ` Bill Gunshannon
From: Bill Gunshannon @ 2004-08-13 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 robinb at falstaf.demon.co.uk wrote:

> grog at lemis.com wrote:
>
> It's more complicated than that.  The issue isn't to do with /r, I've
> checked all that, it's to do with permissions.  If I execute the script
> in my home directory it runs fine, if I execute it in the directory
> I am intending to use for building packages on it blows out.  This
> happens whenther I use the scripts from the package or write my own.
> I have all of the directories above this set to 777, right up to
> wherre I have the device mounted.  It is on a separate device.
>
> I am now well confused!!!!!!

I think Linux supports "no_exec" on mounted partitions.  Check to see
if you have accidentally included this option in your mount.

bill

bill at cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |

* [pups] Installing begemot
@ 2004-08-13 10:33       ` robinb
From: robinb @ 2004-08-13 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

grog at lemis.com wrote:
> On Friday, 13 August 2004 at  8:19:15 +0100, Robin Birch wrote:
> > In message <Pine.BSI.4.05L.10408121627090.18049-100000 at moe.2bsd.com>,
> > Steven M. Schultz <sms at 2BSD.COM> writes

> >>      And that's the cause of the problem.  The kernel is scanning for
> >>      'n' and when it finds the (unix) end-of-line character it then
> >>      tries to exec the program "/bin/shr" and fails.
> >>
> >>      Was the original script created on a windoze box perhaps?  Or was
> >>      a different method of getting a r  used? :)
> >>
> >>      Cheers,
> >>      Steven Schultz
> >>
> > Hi Steve,
> > Long time no chat.
> >
> > The scripts were tar'd off a Mandrake linux system then untar'd on a
> > SuSE system.  Something has got munged in the process I guess.
> >
> > What I'll do is a make really clean and then tr the whole thing to add
> > n instead of r and start again.
> Judging by the above, you want to remove the r, not change them to
> n.
> Greg
In case the first reply didn't get there, I am having difficulties everywhere at the moemnt :-((((

It is more complicated than just the /r.  I've checked the scripts and they are quite legal.  I can run them from my home directory but not from the directory I am using to build the packages in.  This is the same for the distributed scripts and any that I write.  The package directory is on a separate device fom the home directories and all of the directories above the packages one are set 777.

I'm now positively confused!!!!!

Robin
> --
> Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
> Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key.
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers.

* [pups] Installing begemot
@ 2004-08-13 10:29       ` robinb
From: robinb @ 2004-08-13 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2004-08-13  7:33     ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2004-08-13  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2004-08-13  7:15 ` Robin Birch
From: Robin Birch @ 2004-08-13  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message <200408122301.i7CN1MX01938 at opihi.ucsd.edu>, Carl Lowenstein
<cdl at mpl.ucsd.edu> writes
>> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:49:11 +0100
>> To: "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog at lemis.com>
>> From: Robin Birch <robinb at ruffnready.co.uk>
>> Subject: Re: [pups] Installing begemot
>
>> I have a different problem as well.  There is something broken in the
>> configuration of this computer!!!!!  If I execute a shell file by going
>> /bin/sh filename then it works ok but if I try running a shell script
>> with #!/bin/sh in the first line I get a bad permission error.  This is
>> preventing me from running make scripts and all sorts of things.  Any
>> ideas?
>
>Yes.  See the following transcript of a session.  I created a small
>script named "bad" which just does "date" to show that it worked.
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>iota: try 1107$ ls -l bad
>-rwxrwxr-x  1 cdl cdl 16 Aug 12 15:56 bad*
>iota: try 1108$ /bin/sh bad
>Thu Aug 12 15:57:37 PDT 2004
>iota: try 1109$ ./bad
>: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
>iota: try 1110$ cat bad
>#!/bin/sh
>date
>iota: try 1111$ od -c bad
>0000000   #   !   /   b   i   n   /   s   h  \r  \n   d   a   t   e  \n
>0000020
>iota: try 1112$
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>Note that there is a '\r' character at the end of the #! line.
>
>    carl
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh :-)

Well done, I'll try sorting this out at work.  I feel like a bulk tr
script coming on.

Robin
--
Robin Birch

* [pups] Installing begemot
@ 2004-08-12 23:46 ` Paul Ward
From: Paul Ward @ 2004-08-12 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

* [pups] Installing begemot
@ 2004-08-12 23:29 ` Steven M. Schultz
From: Steven M. Schultz @ 2004-08-12 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Carl Lowenstein wrote:

> iota: try 1109$ ./bad
> : bad interpreter: No such file or directory
> iota: try 1110$ cat bad
> #!/bin/sh
> date
> iota: try 1111$ od -c bad
> 0000000   #   !   /   b   i   n   /   s   h  \r  \n   d   a   t   e  \n
> 0000020
> iota: try 1112$
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Note that there is a '\r' character at the end of the #! line.

	And that's the cause of the problem.  The kernel is scanning for
	'\n' and when it finds the (unix) end-of-line character it then
	tries to exec the program "/bin/sh\r" and fails.

	Was the original script created on a windoze box perhaps?  Or was
	a different method of getting a \r  used? :)

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz

* [pups] Installing begemot
@ 2004-08-12 23:01 Carl Lowenstein
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Carl Lowenstein @ 2004-08-12 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:49:11 +0100
> To: "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog at lemis.com>
> From: Robin Birch <robinb at ruffnready.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [pups] Installing begemot

> I have a different problem as well.  There is something broken in the
> configuration of this computer!!!!!  If I execute a shell file by going
> /bin/sh filename then it works ok but if I try running a shell script
> with #!/bin/sh in the first line I get a bad permission error.  This is
> preventing me from running make scripts and all sorts of things.  Any
> ideas?

Yes.  See the following transcript of a session.  I created a small
script named "bad" which just does "date" to show that it worked.
iota: try 1107$ ls -l bad
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cdl cdl 16 Aug 12 15:56 bad*
iota: try 1108$ /bin/sh bad
Thu Aug 12 15:57:37 PDT 2004
iota: try 1109$ ./bad
: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
iota: try 1110$ cat bad
#!/bin/sh
date
iota: try 1111$ od -c bad
0000000   #   !   /   b   i   n   /   s   h  \r  \n   d   a   t   e  \n
0000020
iota: try 1112$

Note that there is a '\r' character at the end of the #! line.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst at ucsd.edu

* [pups] Installing begemot
       [not found] <7AD18F04B62B7440BE22E190A3F772140F6047@mwsrv04.microwalt.nl>
@ 2004-08-12 20:27 ` Robin Birch
From: Robin Birch @ 2004-08-12 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message
<7AD18F04B62B7440BE22E190A3F772140F6047 at mwsrv04.microwalt.nl>, Fred N.
van Kempen <Fred.van.Kempen at microwalt.nl> writes
>> I have a different problem as well.  There is something broken in the
>> configuration of this computer!!!!!  If I execute a shell
>> file by going
>> /bin/sh filename then it works ok but if I try running a shell script
>> with #!/bin/sh in the first line I get a bad permission
>> error.  This is
>> preventing me from running make scripts and all sorts of things.  Any
>> ideas?
>Make sure the scripts have mode 0755 (or 0555, or whatever, as
>long as you have both read AND execute perm on the file...
>
>--f
Done that.  What happens is that sometimes I get a permissions complaint
but sometimes I get a "bad interpreter" message.  If I execute the shell
with the file name as a parameter then it all works.  I'm stumped.

Robin
--
Robin Birch