The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Flame award
@ 2022-12-07 20:31 Warren Toomey via TUHS
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey via TUHS @ 2022-12-07 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: Warren Toomey

All, thank you all for all the congratulations! I was going to pen an e-mail
to the list last night but, after a few celebratory glasses of wine, I demurred.

It still feels weird that Usenix chose me for the Flame award, given such
greats as Doug, Margo, Radia and others have previously received the
same award. In reality, the award belongs to every TUHS member who has
contributed documents, source code, tape images, anecdotes, knowledge
and wisdom, and who have given their time and energy to help others
with problems. I've been a steward of a remarkable community over three
decades and I feel honoured and humbled to receive recognition for it.

Casey told me the names of the people who nominated me. Thank you for
putting my name forward. Getting the e-mail from Casey sure was a surprise :-)

https://www.tuhs.org/Images/flame.jpg

Many thanks for all your support over the years!

	Warren

* [TUHS] Re: Flame award
@ 2022-12-07 20:35 ` Bakul Shah
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Bakul Shah @ 2022-12-07 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: tuhs

Thank you & congratulations!

> On Dec 7, 2022, at 12:31 PM, Warren Toomey via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org> wrote:
>
> All, thank you all for all the congratulations! I was going to pen an e-mail
> to the list last night but, after a few celebratory glasses of wine, I demurred.
>
> It still feels weird that Usenix chose me for the Flame award, given such
> greats as Doug, Margo, Radia and others have previously received the
> same award. In reality, the award belongs to every TUHS member who has
> contributed documents, source code, tape images, anecdotes, knowledge
> and wisdom, and who have given their time and energy to help others
> with problems. I've been a steward of a remarkable community over three
> decades and I feel honoured and humbled to receive recognition for it.
>
> Casey told me the names of the people who nominated me. Thank you for
> putting my name forward. Getting the e-mail from Casey sure was a surprise :-)
>
> https://www.tuhs.org/Images/flame.jpg
>
> Many thanks for all your support over the years!
>
> 	Warren

* [TUHS] Re: Flame award
@ 2022-12-07 21:55 ` Tomasz Rola
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Tomasz Rola @ 2022-12-07 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey via TUHS

On Thu, Dec 08, 2022 at 06:31:32AM +1000, Warren Toomey via TUHS wrote:
> All, thank you all for all the congratulations! I was going to pen an e-mail
> to the list last night but, after a few celebratory glasses of wine,
> I demurred.
[...]
> Many thanks for all your support over the years!
>
> 	Warren

Congratulations and thank you for the much appreciated work!

I am happy to have learned about this place some moons ago.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola

** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_rola@bigfoot.com             **

* [TUHS] Re: Flame award
@ 2022-12-07 22:11 ` Warner Losh
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Warner Losh @ 2022-12-07 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Wed, Dec 7, 2022, 1:32 PM Warren Toomey via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org> wrote:

> All, thank you all for all the congratulations! I was going to pen an
> e-mail
> to the list last night but, after a few celebratory glasses of wine, I
> demurred.
>
> It still feels weird that Usenix chose me for the Flame award, given such
> greats as Doug, Margo, Radia and others have previously received the
> same award. In reality, the award belongs to every TUHS member who has
> contributed documents, source code, tape images, anecdotes, knowledge
> and wisdom, and who have given their time and energy to help others
> with problems. I've been a steward of a remarkable community over three
> decades and I feel honoured and humbled to receive recognition for it.
>
> Casey told me the names of the people who nominated me. Thank you for
> putting my name forward. Getting the e-mail from Casey sure was a surprise
> :-)
>
> https://www.tuhs.org/Images/flame.jpg
>
> Many thanks for all your support over the years!

I was momentarily jealous of this award. Then I thought for all the time
and effort I'd put in, you've done 10 over the same time. And you've been
doing it 20 times as long and with more gumption than I ever put towards
things. You have been doing this since PUPS which only ever heard of due to
a drinking buddy Dworkin Muller...

So after a mere moment of jealousy, I realized that there is no one more
deserving of this recognition and these accolades... well done Warren. Well
earned.

Warner

        Warren

* [TUHS] Re: Flame award
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-12-07 22:25 ` Joseph Holsten
From: Joseph Holsten @ 2022-12-07 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Warren Toomey via TUHS wrote:
> It still feels weird that Usenix chose me for the Flame award, given such
> greats as Doug, Margo, Radia and others have previously received the
> same award. In reality, the award belongs to every TUHS member who has
> contributed documents, source code, tape images, anecdotes, knowledge
> and wisdom, and who have given their time and energy to help others
> with problems. I've been a steward of a remarkable community over three
> decades and I feel honoured and humbled to receive recognition for it.

As someone who’s stewarded (and cat-herded) smaller communities for less time, I can say that three decades of persistent community gardening is incredible. Sure, people show up, drop off their work, then disappear. Sometimes they hang around to chat, or show up when they need help, maybe even occasionally get HYPERFIXATED and invest tremendous effort into a thing as part of the group. And maybe they fall away only to return a decade later.

But those people do it because they know the stability the organizer brings. How many random abandoned source drops are up in sourceforge or github? I’m sure there’s a super specific distributed crypto internet relay chat mobile watch app channel that’s focused on getting SVR4 derivatives bootstrapped onto ARM 64-bit platforms, but this mailing list existed before it and may well exist after. More importantly, so will its archives.

Kudos!

--
Joseph Holsten

* [TUHS] Re: Flame award
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-12-08  7:24 ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2022-12-08  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wkt, tuhs; +Cc: wkt

Warren,

You certainly deserve this. Yes, TUHS wouldn't be what it is without all
its contributors. But YOU were the one initiated it, YOU curate the
collection and you steward the email list. You started the ball rolling,
and thus you deserve this acknowledgement from the community at large.

Congratulations!

Arnold

Warren Toomey via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org> wrote:

> All, thank you all for all the congratulations! I was going to pen an e-mail
> to the list last night but, after a few celebratory glasses of wine, I demurred.
>
> It still feels weird that Usenix chose me for the Flame award, given such
> greats as Doug, Margo, Radia and others have previously received the
> same award. In reality, the award belongs to every TUHS member who has
> contributed documents, source code, tape images, anecdotes, knowledge
> and wisdom, and who have given their time and energy to help others
> with problems. I've been a steward of a remarkable community over three
> decades and I feel honoured and humbled to receive recognition for it.
>
> Casey told me the names of the people who nominated me. Thank you for
> putting my name forward. Getting the e-mail from Casey sure was a surprise :-)
>
> https://www.tuhs.org/Images/flame.jpg
>
> Many thanks for all your support over the years!
>
> 	Warren

* [TUHS] Re: Flame award
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-12-10  1:57 ` Kevin Bowling