The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] [Uucp] utzoo
       [not found] <20170330074552.GA32142@minnie.tuhs.org>
@ 2017-03-31  6:03 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-03-31  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, Warren Toomey via Uucp wrote:

> On 03/29/2017 11:09 PM, Dave Horsfall via Uucp wrote:
> > Let the cancel/rmgroup/flame wars begin :-)
>
> :-P

And I still bear the scars from the aus.bizarre war...  And I'll bet that
not many people remember that little episode :-)

> > (Been too busy to set up "utzoo" yet, so if anyone is desperate for it
> > then they can have it instead; my long-term goal is to run SimH on a
> > RasbPi but first I have to afford one...)
>
> What's your address?  I've got an unused Raspberry Pi that I'll send you
> (or anyone else).  ;-)  First come, first serve.

To be sent privately...

* [TUHS] [Uucp] utzoo
@ 2017-04-05  6:25   ` Peter Jeremy
From: Peter Jeremy @ 2017-04-05  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-Mar-31 17:03:24 +1100, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, Warren Toomey via Uucp wrote:
>
>> On 03/29/2017 11:09 PM, Dave Horsfall via Uucp wrote:
>> > Let the cancel/rmgroup/flame wars begin :-)
>>
>> :-P
>
>And I still bear the scars from the aus.bizarre war...  And I'll bet that
>not many people remember that little episode :-)

Who is going to take the roll of "Iron Bar"?

--
Peter Jeremy
From: Noel Hunt @ 2017-04-05 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ah, 'Iron Bar'. We shared an office at Sydney University, Department
of Computer Science from 1987-1990. I don't recall if John was still
engulfed in the flame wars during that period as I wasn't party to any of
it.

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Peter Jeremy <peter at rulingia.com> wrote:

> On 2017-Mar-31 17:03:24 +1100, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> >> :-P
> >
> >And I still bear the scars from the aus.bizarre war...  And I'll bet that
> >not many people remember that little episode :-)
>
> Who is going to take the roll of "Iron Bar"?
>
> --
> Peter Jeremy

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] [Uucp] utzoo
@ 2017-04-05 22:52     ` Dave Horsfall
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-04-05 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 5 Apr 2017, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> >And I still bear the scars from the aus.bizarre war...  And I'll bet
> >that not many people remember that little episode :-)
>
> Who is going to take the roll of "Iron Bar"?

Oh gawd...  It was a sad day when we lost him; I really missed him.

* [TUHS] [Uucp] utzoo
@ 2017-04-05 23:27       ` Noel Hunt
From: Noel Hunt @ 2017-04-05 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

John was certainly...different.

Here is a file I found in his home directory after
he was no longer with us:

        A Short History
              of
          John Mackin
              or
How I Learned to Stop Worrying and
        Love the Machine

I was born in the dawn of computing, three
days after the first FORTRAN compiler became
operational.  My first words were "BALR R4".

My introduction to modern computing was on
a DECsystem-10 (which shall remain nameless).
Continuing down the track with Digital
hardware, I found out about PDP-11s and acquired
a reputation as the Man who could Answer Hard
Questions.  I became completely nocturnal in
order to get better system response and avoid
landlords.  I ate lots of pizzas, and knew the
octal encoding for any -10 or -11 instruction.

But there was something missing.

In 1977 I saw Level 6 UNIX (a trademark, of
course, of AT&T Bell Laboratories).  It was
queer, and it was very buggy, and it was
running on a very unstable 11/40.  But it
had that ``je ne sais quoi''.  From that
time on, it's been a never-ending progression:
through V7, system III, PWB, AUSAM and Berkeley
to System V, and now Release 2.0.  Sometimes
advocating and sometimes resisting creeping
featurism, I can still Answer Hard Questions
(and amazingly trivial ones too).  The secret
is to read the manuals -- but I long ago despaired
of getting others to do that.

My interests, apart from UNIX (you mean there IS
something apart from UNIX?), are -- well -- I'm
sure I USED to have some ... ...

@ 2017-04-05 23:44       ` Peter Jeremy
From: Peter Jeremy @ 2017-04-05 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-Apr-06 08:52:29 +1000, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>On Wed, 5 Apr 2017, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>
>> >And I still bear the scars from the aus.bizarre war...  And I'll bet
>> >that not many people remember that little episode :-)
>>
>> Who is going to take the roll of "Iron Bar"?

That should be "role", of course.

>Oh gawd...  It was a sad day when we lost him; I really missed him.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.food.cooking/0io1y7c-bTI was
the first hit I found to his obituary.

Does anyone know what happened to Rev Dr Phil Herring?

--
Peter Jeremy
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-04-06  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.food.cooking/0io1y7c-bTI was
> the first hit I found to his obituary.

Funny how much you find out about someone after they've gone; I didn't
know that he was a US citizen, and was into Amateur radio (anyone know his
callsign?) for example.

> Does anyone know what happened to Rev Dr Phil Herring?

Now there was a character; last I heard (some years back) the good RevDoc
had left Wollongong Uni and was wearing a suit.  It's possible that he's
the one mentioned at LinkedIn:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/phil-herring-27553894 as it mentions CompSci
at Wollongong Uni...

* [TUHS] [Uucp] utzoo
@ 2017-04-06  5:34       ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-04-06  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Wed, 5 Apr 2017, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> > >And I still bear the scars from the aus.bizarre war...  And I'll bet
> > >that not many people remember that little episode :-)

Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
> > Who is going to take the roll of "Iron Bar"?
>
> Oh gawd...  It was a sad day when we lost him; I really missed him.

What's the story here, for us non-Aussies?  I have no clue as to what
either aus.bizarre was or who "Iron Bar" was.

Thanks,

Arnold

* [TUHS] [Uucp] utzoo
@ 2017-04-06  5:42         ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-04-06  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

arnold at skeeve.com wrote:

> Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
> > > Who is going to take the roll of "Iron Bar"?
> >
> > Oh gawd...  It was a sad day when we lost him; I really missed him.
>
> What's the story here, for us non-Aussies?  I have no clue as to what
> either aus.bizarre was or who "Iron Bar" was.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arnold

OK, so now I know that Iron Bar was John Mackin, a name that rings
a bell from the distant past.  What was the aus.bizarre story?

THanks,

Arnold

* [TUHS] [Uucp] utzoo
@ 2017-04-06  6:11           ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-04-06  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 5 Apr 2017, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:

> OK, so now I know that Iron Bar was John Mackin, a name that rings a
> bell from the distant past.  What was the aus.bizarre story?

Ah; as I said, I still bear the scars...

Basically, I tried to create aus.bizarre (modelled after alt.bizarre) but
some did not like it, and promptly removed it.  To cut a long story short,
it involved a newgroup/rmgroup war, which sadly I lost :-(

It also just about brought ACSnet to its knees, because I automated my
side of things (I don't know what John did, but it was likely automated
too).  I guess you had to be there...

After that, though, Iron Bar and I became friends.