The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Missing pages in Berkeley_Unix_History.pdf
@ 2016-01-12  8:12 markus schnalke
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: markus schnalke @ 2016-01-12  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hoi.

Yesterday, I came across the file Berkeley_Unix_History.pdf on
my disk. It contains scanned articles of UNIX Review January 1985,
October 1985 and January 1986. Searching the web brought up this
online location for the file:
http://simson.net/ref/free_software/Berkeley_Unix_History.pdf

I read the articles for the first time and had a great time doing
so. Especially the ``Berkeley Underground'' article was pure fun!
Here, have some impression:

		We modified the kernel to
	support asynchronous I/O, distri-
	buted files, security traces, "real-
	time" interrupts for subprocess
	multitasking, limited screen
	editing, and various new system
	calls. We wrote compilers, ass-
	emblers, linkers, disassemblers,
	database utilities, cryptographic
	utilities, tutorial help systems,
	games, and screen-oriented ver-
	sions of standard utilities. User
	friendly utilities for new users that
	avoided accidental file deletion,
	libraries to support common
	operations on data structures
	such as lists, strings, trees, sym-
	bol tables, and libraries to perform
	arbitrary precision arithmetic and
	symbolic mathematics were other
	contributions. We suggested im-
	provements to many system calls
	and to most utilities. We offered to
	fix the option flags so that the dif-
	ferent utilities were consistent
	with one another.
		To Us, nothing was sacred,
	and We saw a great deal in UNIX
	that could stand improvement.
	Much of what We implemented, or
	asked to be allowed to implement,
	is now a part of System V and 4.2
	BSD; others of our innovations are
	still missing from all versions of
	UNIX. Despite these accom-
	plishments, it seemed that
	whenever We asked The Powers
	That Be to install Our software
	and make it available to the rest of
	the system's users, We were
	greeted with stony silence.

Unfortunately, the scan is not complete as some pages are
missing. For example, page 43 (the title page of the mentioned
article) is among them.

Does anyone know where to get the full articles?

meillo

* [TUHS] Missing pages in Berkeley_Unix_History.pdf
@ 2016-01-12  8:52 ` Warren Toomey
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2016-01-12  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 09:12:53AM +0100, markus schnalke wrote:
> Yesterday, I came across the file Berkeley_Unix_History.pdf on
> my disk. It contains scanned articles of UNIX Review January 1985,
> October 1985 and January 1986. Searching the web brought up this
> online location for the file:
> http://simson.net/ref/free_software/Berkeley_Unix_History.pdf

Damn, I've got a few issues in the 1984-1985 range, but I'm missing
the January issue. Thanks for pointing out the (incomplete) scan,
anyway.

Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] Missing pages in Berkeley_Unix_History.pdf
@ 2016-01-12  8:56 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2016-01-12  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 09:12:53AM +0100, markus schnalke wrote:
> Yesterday, I came across the file Berkeley_Unix_History.pdf on
> my disk. It contains scanned articles of UNIX Review January 1985,
> October 1985 and January 1986. Searching the web brought up this
> online location for the file:
> http://simson.net/ref/free_software/Berkeley_Unix_History.pdf

pg 43 seems to be here: http://www.mindspring.com/~cavu/85may.html

I can't find the missing pg 117.

Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] Missing pages in Berkeley_Unix_History.pdf
@ 2016-01-12 11:39 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2016-01-12 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 09:12:53AM +0100, markus schnalke wrote:
> Yesterday, I came across the file Berkeley_Unix_History.pdf on
> my disk. It contains scanned articles of UNIX Review January 1985,
> October 1985 and January 1986. Searching the web brought up this
> online location for the file:
> http://simson.net/ref/free_software/Berkeley_Unix_History.pdf

Double argh. When I couldn't find the Jan 1985 copy of the Unix Review
magazine, it caused a tingle in my synapses. They finally reminded me that
I had scanned that issue in, and I've just put it up in the archive at
http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/Unix_Review/unixreview_1985jan.pdf

pages 43 and 117 are there :-)

Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] Missing pages in Berkeley_Unix_History.pdf
@ 2016-01-12 12:10   ` markus schnalke
From: markus schnalke @ 2016-01-12 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

[2016-01-12 21:39] Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org>

> Double argh.

Oh well, I have to utter the same sound!

The missing page 43 in the other file it only ads. I already guessed,
that full-page ads were omitted, but my misunderstanding was a different
thing: The designers of this journal didn't follow nowadays typographic
rules! In UNIX Review, content in boxes is *not* auxiliary stuff but
*real* content!

The beginning of the mentioned article is not missing but can be found
in the big box in the lower half of page 42! It just never crossed my
mind that what looked like an ad could actually be the most important
part of an article -- the title and introduction -- when the rest of
it looked completely different.

What a great example for the need for coherent and common typography!

> I had scanned that issue in, and I've just put it up in the archive at
> http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/Unix_Review/unixreview_1985jan.pdf

Thanks a lot for the (much better) scan and the link to the web
page as well.

meillo

* [TUHS] Missing pages in Berkeley_Unix_History.pdf
@ 2016-01-12 15:25   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2016-01-12 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 6:39 AM, Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:

> They finally reminded me that
> I had scanned that issue in, and I've just put it up in the archive at
>
> http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/Unix_Review/unixreview_1985jan.pdf

​Thanks for the reminder....   Loved rereading it,   The ads are almost as
much fun as the articles.
Clem​
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Missing pages in Berkeley_Unix_History.pdf
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-01-12 15:53 ` Jeremy C. Reed
From: Jeremy C. Reed @ 2016-01-12 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016, markus schnalke wrote:

> Unfortunately, the scan is not complete as some pages are
> missing. For example, page 43 (the title page of the mentioned
> article) is among them.

The title page is on page 42 (PDF page 8). The bottom of page 42
continues to top of page 44:

"For the most part we stayed out of trouble, although on of our rank
once had his phone records subpoenaed by the FBI ..."

That same article is at
http://www.mindspring.com/~cavu/85may.html

And yes that Unix Review is fun. Note that the first article was
expanded or reused in "Berkeley UNIX Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow"
(prior to Sept. 1993, included in lawsuit as Kennedy Aff. Ex.  8) and
then as a chapter in O'Reilly's "Open Sources: Voices from the Open
Source Revolution", 1st Edition, January 1999.

* [TUHS] Missing pages in Berkeley_Unix_History.pdf
@ 2016-01-13 22:26     ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2016-01-13 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016, Clem Cole wrote:

> They finally reminded me that I had scanned that issue in, and I've just
> put it up in the archive at
> http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/Unix_Review/unixreview_1985jan.pdf
>
> Thanks for the reminder....   Loved rereading it,   The ads are almost as
> much fun as the articles.

Ahh...  Unify...  The best DBMS ever.  These days, they're even calling a
fscking Excel spread-sheet a "database".  Somewhere, I still have the
source code for Unify.

* [TUHS] Missing pages in Berkeley_Unix_History.pdf
@ 2016-01-13 22:29       ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2016-01-13 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Horsfall scripsit:

> Ahh...  Unify...  The best DBMS ever.  These days, they're even calling a
> fscking Excel spread-sheet a "database".  Somewhere, I still have the
> source code for Unify.

Hey, consider the term "password database".

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
My corporate data's a mess!
It's all semi-structured, no less.
But I'll be carefree / Using XSLT
On an XML DBMS.

* [TUHS] Missing pages in Berkeley_Unix_History.pdf
@ 2016-01-13 22:59   ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2016-01-13 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 09:12:53AM +0100, markus schnalke wrote:
> > Yesterday, I came across the file Berkeley_Unix_History.pdf on
> > my disk. It contains scanned articles of UNIX Review January 1985,

Compare the "Fear and Loathing" article with the "Unix in a Hostile
Environment" article by Peter Ivanov on page 13 of
http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/AUUGN/AUUGN-V01.1.pdf

Cheers, Warren