The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] who was that unmasked man
@ 2024-03-06 16:42 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2024-03-06 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

[image: unnamed.png]
CCA EMACS? That's a name I have not heard in a long time ...

I forgot if I'm not allowed to load images, sorry if I just made a mistake.

[-- Attachment #2: unnamed.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 703466 bytes --]

* [TUHS] Re: who was that unmasked man
@ 2024-03-06 16:50 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2024-03-06 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

CCA - a.k.a. zimmerman emacs.
ᐧ

@ 2024-03-06 16:53 ` Henry Bent
From: Henry Bent @ 2024-03-06 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 at 11:43, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:

> [image: unnamed.png]
> CCA EMACS? That's a name I have not heard in a long time ...
>
> I forgot if I'm not allowed to load images, sorry if I just made a mistake.

I assume "Unix 4.2" is meant to be 4.2BSD?

Where is this taken from?  Byte?

-Henry

[-- Attachment #2: unnamed.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 703466 bytes --]

* [TUHS] Re: who was that unmasked man
@ 2024-03-06 16:57   ` John Floren via TUHS
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: John Floren via TUHS @ 2024-03-06 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Henry Bent <henry.r.bent@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 at 11:43, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  unnamed.png
>
>  CCA EMACS? That's a name I have not heard in a long time ...
>
>  I forgot if I'm not allowed to load images, sorry if I just made a mistake.
>
> I assume "Unix 4.2" is meant to be 4.2BSD?
>
> Where is this taken from?  Byte?
>
> -Henry

I'm the one who sent Ron the picture, unfortunately I don't know where
it came from, I just saw it on Lars Brinkhoff's Mastodon page:
https://mastodon.sdf.org/@larsbrinkhoff/111752938080610123

The confused gentleman sorta looks like if Wolfman Jack got a haircut
and went into software dev. I assume Ron knows who he is and is just
testing us.

john

* [TUHS] Re: who was that unmasked man
@ 2024-03-06 17:06     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2024-03-06 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Floren; +Cc: tuhs

On Wed, Mar 6, 2024 at 11:59 AM John Floren via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org> wrote:
> [snip]
> The confused gentleman sorta looks like if Wolfman Jack got a haircut
> and went into software dev. I assume Ron knows who he is and is just
> testing us.

John, I'm shocked that you would be so cavalier in your description of
a young Ron Minnich. Shocked, I say.

        - Dan C.

* [TUHS] Re: who was that unmasked man
@ 2024-03-06 17:07     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2024-03-06 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Floren; +Cc: tuhs

no, I really don't recall who it is , but ... I feel like I should know.

@ 2024-03-06 17:41     ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2024-03-06 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Floren via TUHS

John Floren wrote:
> Henry Bent wrote:
>> ron minnich wrote:
>> CCA EMACS? That's a name I have not heard in a long time ...
>> Where is this taken from?  Byte?
> I'm the one who sent Ron the picture, unfortunately I don't know where
> it came from, I just saw it on Lars Brinkhoff's Mastodon page:
> https://mastodon.sdf.org/@larsbrinkhoff/111752938080610123

It's from here:
https://archive.org/details/Unix_Review_1985_Dec.pdf/page/n21/mode/2up

I found a copy of CCA Emacs, but there's a copyright owner and they
didn't agree to put it online.

* [TUHS] Re: who was that unmasked man
@ 2024-03-06 17:50       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2024-03-06 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Brinkhoff; +Cc: John Floren via TUHS

but I'm convinced the person in the picture was .. someone ... I used to at
least know of ....

but who?

I don't see the company selling CCA Emacs, advertising in byte, hiring male
models.

("but why male models?")

@ 2024-03-06 18:07       ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2024-03-06 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Brinkhoff; +Cc: John Floren via TUHS

On Wed, Mar 6, 2024 at 9:41 AM Lars Brinkhoff <lars@nocrew.org> wrote:

> John Floren wrote:
> > Henry Bent wrote:
> >> ron minnich wrote:
> >> CCA EMACS? That's a name I have not heard in a long time ...
> >> Where is this taken from?  Byte?
> > I'm the one who sent Ron the picture, unfortunately I don't know where
> > it came from, I just saw it on Lars Brinkhoff's Mastodon page:
> > https://mastodon.sdf.org/@larsbrinkhoff/111752938080610123
>
> It's from here:
> https://archive.org/details/Unix_Review_1985_Dec.pdf/page/n21/mode/2up
>
> I found a copy of CCA Emacs, but there's a copyright owner and they
> didn't agree to put it online.

Who is the current owner?

Warner

* [TUHS] Re: who was that unmasked man
@ 2024-03-06 18:12         ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2024-03-06 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: John Floren via TUHS

Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> writes:
>  I found a copy of CCA Emacs, but there's a copyright owner and they
>  didn't agree to put it online.
>
> Who is the current owner?

As far as I understand, Rocket Software.

* [TUHS] Re: who was that unmasked man
@ 2024-03-06 18:28         ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2024-03-06 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: John Floren via TUHS

Emacs is Not UNIX :-P

@ 2024-03-08 19:23   ` William H. Mitchell
From: William H. Mitchell @ 2024-03-08 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS

A story that Steve Zimmerman once told--and I can’t remember if in-person at a Usenix, on a mailing list, or on Usenet--was that on some Chinese restaurant menu he found this item: "Sliced Children with Tomato Sauce".  (Note: "children", not "chicken"!)  For fun, Zimmerman tried to order it, asking to be sure it was in fact sliced children, not sliced chicken.  The waiter carefully explained it was a typo, became very apologetic for disappointing him, etc. :)

Every once in a while I look for that post but I’ve never found it.  I wonder if anybody else from the recalls it from the 80s.

Google says, 'No results found for "sliced children with tomato sauce".'

FWIW, Here’s a search that turns up a few things related to CCA Emacs: https://groups.google.com/g/net.emacs/search?q=steve%20zimmerman%20cca%20emacs

My recollection is that Zimmerman passed away while relatively young, but hopefully I’m wrong.  I didn’t find him on LinkedIn just now.

@ 2024-03-08 19:55     ` Dan Halbert
From: Dan Halbert @ 2024-03-08 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Here you go. I search in groups.google.com, which indexes old Usenet posts:

https://groups.google.com/g/net.jokes/c/GdEQWm_Ztj0/m/SoRDzqrLg64J

Dan H.

@ 2024-03-08 19:57       ` Dan Halbert
From: Dan Halbert @ 2024-03-08 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Here is the whole post:

z...@cca.uucp
Jun 3, 1983, 9:23:42 AM
Nothing will ever top the entry I saw on the menu of the main restaurant
in Darjeeling. The restaurant was quite ordinary, and so was most of
the menu. But there was one entry in the middle of a bunch of others
which caught my eye:

Rice with sliced children, tomato sauce.

I called the waiter over and tried to order it, and he explained that it
was a misprint; it was supposed to read "chicken" instead of "children".
I acted terribly disappointed, and the waiter became very apologetic.

This was the same restaurant in Darjeeling that was frequently out of
tea.

On the road up to Darjeeling, there were all sorts of interesting
billboards. On the approach to a narrow bridge, there was one
proclaiming "Watch your Vechicles". A little farther on, there was one
that said "Drink more coffee, it's good for you!"

@ 2024-03-08 20:12         ` Luther Johnson
From: Luther Johnson @ 2024-03-08 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

That reminds me of a restaurant, who posted, one day, that the soup of
the day was "Beef Barely".