The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Early UNIX Explor Support?
@ 2023-05-22 23:59 segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2023-05-22 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Good day, something I've come across in my documentation study that I finally got around to researching a bit is a reference to the language Explor in the V2 ld(I) page:

'There are libraries for Fortran (x="f"), C (x="c"), Explor (x="e") and B (x="b").'

The manual has no corresponding mention of any Explor environment, not even a section VI page.  The only other UNIX Explor reference I can easily find is on the mailing list here indicating that there is a version of Explor for UNIX on a 1977 tape here (in the 1/explor+dl directory): https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Applications/Usenix_77/ug091377.tar.gz

Does anyone know if there is continuity here or if the V2 reference and the code on the tape are only related in that they're both for Explor?

- Matt G.

* [TUHS] Re: Early UNIX Explor Support?
@ 2023-05-23  0:07 ` Ken Thompson
From: Ken Thompson @ 2023-05-23  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

explor is (was) a graphical language by ken knowlton.
it ran offline on the mainframe and produced a mag tape
to be run on a machine called tapex. the tapex machine
exposed micro-film that had to be developed and printed.

not the quickest turnaround.

anyway, i wrote a unix version of explor that printed directly
on a tek display terminal. it was never really used for
anything. somewhere, i have polaroids of pictures of
explor output on the tek.

@ 2023-05-23  2:54   ` segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2023-05-23  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Thompson; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society