Void Linux discussion
From: "'Caleb M.' via voidlinux" <voidlinux@googlegroups.com>
To: Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com>
Cc: voidlinux@googlegroups.com
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2020 02:14:19 -0400	[thread overview]

On Friday, July 3, 2020 1:18:26 AM EDT, Alexis wrote:
>> It also removes the "Forum" heading on the nav bar.
>
> Sorry, i don't understand why you'd do that? That's a link to
> the r/voidlinux subreddit, which is thriving, and which is one
> of the two primary places we suggest people ask for help (the
> other being #voidlinux on Freenode). This mailing list has been
> inactive for a while.

It made sense to have a "Forum" heading back when it was Discourse,
because it was hosted by the project and felt more like part of the
website.

When the "Forum" heading started linking to the subreddit it seemed
weird to me because the subreddit is not part of the site, and most
people would call it a subreddit rather than a forum.

If we are linking to the mailing list from the website, it feels even
more weird to leave the heading there.  If we are adopting a more
expansive definition of the word "forum" that includes the subreddit,
then the google group is a forum too.  At that point the "Forum"
heading is more confusing than helpful, in my opinion.

The inactivity of the mailing list could be due to the lack of any
mention of it on the website, or the fact that you and others don't
point people to it.  It sounds like some members of the community
have decided the mailing list is dead, while some are still suggesting
it as a place to ask for help and submit patches.  Perhaps we should
have a broader discussion about whether the mailing list is an
official communication channel?

At any rate, it's not all that important, but I hope I have conveyed
why I think the Forum heading is increasingly misplaced.

> More generally, though, the best thing to do would probably be
> to submit your patch in the form of a PR to
> https://github.com/void-linux/void-linux.github.io/.

I don't have a GitHub account, and a few people on IRC have said
the project will accept patches via the mailing list.  I hope that
is still true.

Regards,
Caleb