Void Linux discussion
* XBPS: "Unkown resolver error" When Attempting To Obtain Dependencies For Packages
@ 2015-01-22 11:24 Antonio Malcolm
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Antonio Malcolm @ 2015-01-22 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Currently, I'm attempting to install desktop-related packages, like so:

xbps-install cinnamon NetworkManager network-manager-applet wireless-tools
nano

I've tried repo, repo2, and repo3

repo, repo2 and repo3 each result in an "Unkown resolver error" while
attempting to download dependencies dbus-1.8.14_2 and nspr-4.10.7_1

I've double-checked the contents of /etc/resolv.conf, and it looks correct.

* Re: XBPS: "Unkown resolver error" When Attempting To Obtain Dependencies For Packages
@ 2015-01-22 12:26 ` Antonio Malcolm
From: Antonio Malcolm @ 2015-01-22 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

OK, this is working from within a chroot jail, from the live cd, so I must
assume there is something off in my configuration.

In /etc/resolv.conf, I have:

search asgard
nameserver 192.168.1.1

This appears to be the same as the live cd.
Additionally, as this is occurring only with certain dependencies (most
things download and install just fine), I'm not sure where the issue is
stemming from.

* Re: XBPS: "Unkown resolver error" When Attempting To Obtain Dependencies For Packages
@ 2015-01-22 21:06   ` Logen Kain
From: Logen Kain @ 2015-01-22 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Yea nameservers were the first thing I was thinking, but if some stuff
works and other stuff doesnt... that's weird.  I'd go ahead and test
googles nameservers (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) just to see what happens.  In fact,
I am using them right now because it was an easy dns to remember when
setting up static ip's with wicd.

* Re: XBPS: "Unkown resolver error" When Attempting To Obtain Dependencies For Packages
@ 2015-01-22 21:18     ` Antonio Malcolm
From: Antonio Malcolm @ 2015-01-22 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

I also tried Google's nameservers, and had the same result.
You might give OpenDNS a try- I haven't, yet.

* Re: XBPS: "Unkown resolver error" When Attempting To Obtain Dependencies For Packages
@ 2015-01-23  3:34 ` Logen Kain
From: Logen Kain @ 2015-01-23  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 5:24:57 AM UTC-6, Antonio Malcolm wrote:

> I've tried repo, repo2, and repo3

Possibly a stupid question but, you have made sure that all your repos are
comming from the same mirror correct?  And that you are making sure to do
an xbps-install -S to resync?  I remember when I was jumping between
mirrors I only changed one which gave me troubles due to different repos.

Now that I check your post I realize you said you did:
>xbps-install cinnamon NetworkManager network-manager-applet wireless-tools
nano

Add the -S switch to make sure the repos are properly in sync so...
xbps-install -S cinnamon NetworkManager network-manager-applet
wireless-tools nano
The above should work if syncing was the issue... Good Luck.

* Re: XBPS: "Unkown resolver error" When Attempting To Obtain Dependencies For Packages
@ 2015-01-23  8:46 ` Stefan Mühlinghaus
From: Stefan Mühlinghaus @ 2015-01-23  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

DNS should be alright if you are getting something. Are you sure synching
is working alright and the other packages are not installed from local
cache?
Otherwise it sounds to me like a routing problem. Do you maybe have some
weird iptables configuration or your MTU value is too high?

* Re: XBPS: "Unkown resolver error" When Attempting To Obtain Dependencies For Packages
@ 2015-01-23 14:04   ` Antonio Malcolm
From: Antonio Malcolm @ 2015-01-23 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

This is a fresh install, so I doubt it's installing from cache.
Also, I haven't fussed with any routing or networking settings, yet.

* Re: XBPS: "Unkown resolver error" When Attempting To Obtain Dependencies For Packages
@ 2015-01-24  9:56     ` Juan RP
From: Juan RP @ 2015-01-24  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux