Void Linux discussion
* Void Updater conceptual GUI design
@ 2015-05-08  2:36 Justin moore
From: Justin moore @ 2015-05-08  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Since community is the base of most Linux distributions, I thought I'd
share some ideas a friend and I have. The main idea is a graphical updater,
the details however are still up for debate. In the end we want to create
some sort of daemon that runs in the system tray (like you've probably seen
in other distributions) and notifies the user when updates for local
packages are available. Our language of choice is Python and our GUI
toolkit is Qt5, which we both have limited to no experience with. Last
night I opened up Qt5 Designer for the first time and started playing with
different tools and came up with something very simple, yet effective (or
at least I think so).

I ended up converting the UI file to python code which I have attached to
this post. If anyone is remotely interested in the idea, let me know if
you'd possibly be willing to help out. Of course your feedback is valuable
so please don't hesitate to share your thoughts.  At this point there is no
git repository as there is no real work being done, though when things
start moving I'll create one.