Void Linux discussion
* Can't Achieve A Bootable UEFI Install On Thinkpad W530
@ 2015-05-22  5:06 Antonio Malcolm
From: Antonio Malcolm @ 2015-05-22  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

UEFI on the Thinkpad W530 doesn't recognize Void's GRUB install as a
bootable option.
This is EXACTLY the same issue I encountered when installing on the Aorus
X3+ several months ago (ref: https://goo.gl/imuigm), and I'm solving it
EXACTLY the same way, by first installing Manjaro, then Void, and updating
Manjaro's GRUB install during the Void install.
(This is outlined at the bottom of the install how-to I added to the docs,
here: https://goo.gl/z0TWQz)

Somehow, GRUB, when installed by Void, isn't recognized by the UEFI on this
Thinkpad, or the Aorus X3, and I'm forced to install GRUB from another
source.
Of the three laptops on which I've now installed Void, the only one of the
three to not have this issue is a 2011 MacBook Pro.

* Re: Can't Achieve A Bootable UEFI Install On Thinkpad W530
@ 2015-05-22  5:14 ` Juan RP
From: Juan RP @ 2015-05-22  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: void..., antonio...

My guess is that our grub version is missing some features for recent EFI
firmwares.

Unlike other distros we are still using the official grub-2.0 relase
without any patches... I think other distros are using 2.02, which is in
alpha state.

I'd try updating the grub pkg, building a live image with this grub pkg and
testing the installation. You can achieve this easily with `xbps-src` and
`void-mklive`:

    $ ./xbps-src pkg grub
    $ ./mklive.sh -r /path/to/your/local/host/binpkgs -r
http://repo.voidlinux.eu/current ...

* Re: Can't Achieve A Bootable UEFI Install On Thinkpad W530
@ 2015-05-24  2:43   ` Antonio Malcolm
From: Antonio Malcolm @ 2015-05-24  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux; +Cc: antonio...

OK, I've sorted this.

Copied /boot/efi/EFI/GRUB/grubx64.efi to /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi

THAT did the trick. Noticed that difference between this new install and
the install on the Aorus (which I had done some time ago), and confirmed it
with a Slackware page about UEFI GRUB installation:
http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:slackware_admin:set_up_grub_as_boot_loader_on_uefi_based_hardware

Additionally, according to *this* doc, some versions/implementations of
UEFI are case-sensitive (and look for bootx64.efi (note the lower case)):
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting

What a pain in the ass!
:oP

* Re: Can't Achieve A Bootable UEFI Install On Thinkpad W530
@ 2015-05-25  6:39     ` Juan RP
From: Juan RP @ 2015-05-25  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: void..., antonio...