Development discussion of WireGuard
* Git tags
@ 2017-06-16  1:07 Oliver Beattie
From: Oliver Beattie @ 2017-06-16  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi,

I have noticed that when a new snapshot is released, it is tagged in
the Git repository, and an old tag is typically removed. While I
understand Wireguard is considered experimental, this is quite
frustrating as a user of the project.

Given tags in Git are extremely lightweight, would it be unreasonable
to keep them around?

Cheers,
Oliver

* Re: Git tags
@ 2017-06-16  1:14 ` Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2017-06-16  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Beattie, wireguard

On Thu 2017-06-15 18:07:17 -0700, Oliver Beattie wrote:
> I have noticed that when a new snapshot is released, it is tagged in
> the Git repository, and an old tag is typically removed. While I
> understand Wireguard is considered experimental, this is quite
> frustrating as a user of the project.

Huh, i hadn't noticed that older tags had been removed in the canonical
upstream git repo, i agree that's unusual and rather strange.

> Given tags in Git are extremely lightweight, would it be unreasonable
> to keep them around?

The repository where i record debian packaging changes includes a full
copy of the upstream repo (at least as far as what's been packaged) and
that naturally includes the older tags as well:

    https://anonscm.debian.org/git/collab-maint/wireguard.git/refs/tags

You're always welcome to pull the tags from there (the upstream takgs
should all be cryptographically signed by Jason, so you can verify
authenticity even if the network source is different).

regards,

        --dkg

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Git tags
@ 2017-06-16  2:44 ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2017-06-16  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Oliver,

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 3:07 AM, Oliver Beattie <oliver@monzo.com> wrote:
> Given tags in Git are extremely lightweight, would it be unreasonable
> to keep them around?

I can keep them around, no problem. I just thought they looked sort of
cluttered, so I removed them, but if it's useful to you, I don't mind
keeping them.

What use case did you have in mind, anyway, for old tags?

Jason

* Re: Git tags
@ 2017-06-16 12:07   ` Martin Eskdale Moen
From: Martin Eskdale Moen @ 2017-06-16 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jason
I usually find it useful when I'm provisioning with ansible to be able to
point to a tag and upgrade when I'm ready, so when I provision new nodes
they all have the same version, even if a new version is out.

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 at 03:44 Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@zx2c4.com> wrote:

> Hi Oliver,
>
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 3:07 AM, Oliver Beattie <oliver@monzo.com> wrote:
> > Given tags in Git are extremely lightweight, would it be unreasonable
> > to keep them around?
>
> I can keep them around, no problem. I just thought they looked sort of
> cluttered, so I removed them, but if it's useful to you, I don't mind
> keeping them.
>
> What use case did you have in mind, anyway, for old tags?
>
> Jason

* Re: Git tags
@ 2017-06-16 12:08     ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2017-06-16 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 2:07 PM, Martin Eskdale Moen
<martinmoen@gmail.com> wrote:
> they all have the same version, even if a new version is out.

Never use old snapshots.

* Re: Git tags
@ 2017-06-16 12:12       ` Martin Eskdale Moen
From: Martin Eskdale Moen @ 2017-06-16 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

But the problem is that if I have 20 nodes and need to add some more and
there is a breaking change like there was recently with the psk changing to
peers instead of interface I can't always do that change before I need to
add a new node.
Would just be nice if the tags hung around for maybe a year.

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 at 13:08 Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@zx2c4.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 2:07 PM, Martin Eskdale Moen
> <martinmoen@gmail.com> wrote:
> > they all have the same version, even if a new version is out.
>
> Never use old snapshots.

* Re: Git tags
@ 2017-06-16 12:23         ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2017-06-16 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Martin Eskdale Moen
<martinmoen@gmail.com> wrote:
> But the problem is that if I have 20 nodes and need to add some more and
> there is a breaking change like there was recently with the psk changing to
> peers instead of interface I can't always do that change before I need to
> add a new node.

How many times has this affected you? "Once", I assume. Breaking
changes certainly aren't the norm, and I'm sorry that it happened at
all and you have to deal with it. Big hassle. I don't want to subject
folks to that again if I don't have to. It still _may_ happen, but I
hope it won't, and we're working steadily toward the goal of
stabilizing.

> Would just be nice if the tags hung around for maybe a year.

This is currently experimental software. Someday it won't be
experimental, but today it is. You should not use old snapshots,
period. I'd strongly advise you to update all your nodes.

(However, I'll keep old tags around, because Oliver asked, and my only
reason for actually removing the tags was I thought cgit looked
prettier without the clutter, which isn't a good reason for anything.)

* Re: Git tags
@ 2017-06-16 16:40   ` Oliver Beattie
From: Oliver Beattie @ 2017-06-16 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 7:44 PM, Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@zx2c4.com> wrote=
:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 3:07 AM, Oliver Beattie <oliver@monzo.com> wrote:
>> Given tags in Git are extremely lightweight, would it be unreasonable
>> to keep them around?
>
> I can keep them around, no problem. I just thought they looked sort of
> cluttered, so I removed them, but if it's useful to you, I don't mind
> keeping them.

Many thanks, that's really helpful :-)

> What use case did you have in mind, anyway, for old tags?

Often the only record I will keep of the version I've built/am running
is the tag name. Of course this means my process is deficient, I just
thought that there was little downside to keeping them around.