zsh-users
* spam sucks
@ 2002-09-23 11:48 Steven Enderle
From: Steven Enderle @ 2002-09-23 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Can't you just turn off forwarding mails from people not subscribed to
this list?

Thanks

Steven

* Re: spam sucks
@ 2002-09-23 12:41 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2002-09-23 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Steven Enderle wrote:
> Can't you just turn off forwarding mails from people not subscribed to
> this list?

Then we don't get bug reports, which is bad.  It would be much better to
have a filter.

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.

* Re: spam sucks
@ 2002-09-23 23:31   ` rik
From: rik @ 2002-09-23 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 01:41:22PM +0100, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> Then we don't get bug reports, which is bad.  It would be much better
> to have a filter.

SpamAssassin has so far caught the vast majority of them. I have it
setup to work through procmail, which mailman can also do, and is
aparently a good idea.

--
PGP Key: D2729A3F - Keyserver: wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net - rich at rdrose dot org
Key fingerprint = 5EB1 4C63 9FAD D87B 854C  3DED 1408 ED77 D272 9A3F

* Re: spam sucks
@ 2002-09-24  4:31     ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2002-09-24  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rik; +Cc: zsh-users

> SpamAssassin has so far caught the vast majority of them. I have it
> setup to work through procmail, which mailman can also do, and is
> aparently a good idea.

Still, spamassassin tags plenty of false positives, lets actual spam
through, and requires someone to look over its shoulder to resolve the
former problem, at least.

* Re: spam sucks
@ 2002-09-24  5:03       ` Geoff Wing
From: Geoff Wing @ 2002-09-24  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Clint Adams <clint@zsh.org> typed:
:> SpamAssassin has so far caught the vast majority of them. I have it
:> setup to work through procmail, which mailman can also do, and is
:> aparently a good idea.
: Still, spamassassin tags plenty of false positives, lets actual spam
: through, and requires someone to look over its shoulder to resolve the
: former problem, at least.

One point here: the users list and workers list have _never_ had a valid
email message only composed of html.  All messages I receive like that
are put into a (very) low priority reading queue (just in case someone
does send such an unlikely beast).

For people using procmail, just insert a bitbucket recipe for them.
Simplistic version below:

 :0:		# dump the rubbish sent through zsh lists
 * ^Mailing-List: contact zsh-
 /dev/null

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing : <gcw@pobox.com>
Rxvt Stuff : <gcw@rxvt.org>

* Re: spam sucks
@ 2002-09-24  7:37       ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-09-24  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Sep 24, 12:31am, Clint Adams wrote:
}
} Still, spamassassin tags plenty of false positives, lets actual spam
} through, and requires someone to look over its shoulder to resolve the
} former problem, at least.

This is _way_ off-topic for zsh-users, but ...

I've been running spamassassin for several months now and my rate of false
positives is close to zero -- it's definitely zero for messages on zsh
lists.  My overall false negative rate since mid-June is about 5%, false
positive is about 0.1%, though I did have to do some score tweaking to get
there (every new SA release has a few oddball scores).

While I was running SA on my ISP mail machine I used a logrotate script
for looking-over-its-shoulder; mailed me a summary every day and rotated
each daily spambox into oblivion after 2 weeks.  I quit doing that when I
got DSL and had to start running SA on my home machine, but I still have
the script if anyone wants it.

(Apparently I get, on average, about 19 spams and 0.9 viruses per day.
I'd never actually computed that before.)