zsh-users
* Speed
@ 2002-05-13 21:15 Thorsten Haude
From: Thorsten Haude @ 2002-05-13 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh User ML

Hi,

I just go through my /etc/zshenv, see all this setopts and wonder how
much difference is these in terms of speed:
    setopt opt_a opt_b opt_c opt_d opt_e opt_f opt_g opt_h opt_i opt_j
or
    setopt opt_a
    setopt opt_b
    setopt opt_c
    setopt opt_d
    setopt opt_e
    setopt opt_f
    [and so on]

Another thing: Are the keycodes ("^[!" and stuff) documented
somewhere?

tia,
Thorsten
--
Das Briefgeheimnis sowie das Post- und Fernmeldegeheimnis sind unverletzlich.
	- Grundgesetz, Artikel 10, Abs. 1

* Re: Speed
@ 2002-05-14  0:16 ` Igor Pruchanskiy
From: Igor Pruchanskiy @ 2002-05-14  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh User ML

> Another thing: Are the keycodes ("^[!" and stuff) documented
> somewhere?

zshzle(1)

--
Uptime : 54 days,  4:37

* Re: Speed
@ 2002-05-14  0:50 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-05-14  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Haude, Zsh User ML

On May 13, 11:15pm, Thorsten Haude wrote:
}
} I just go through my /etc/zshenv, see all this setopts and wonder how
} much difference is these in terms of speed:

A single command is almost always faster than a series of equivalent
commands.  However, the amount of work necessary to set options is so
small that it'd likely take at least hundreds if not thousands of
executions before you'd notice it.  Even with the proliferation of
options in 4.x, there just aren't enough of them for this to matter.

There might be other things in your startup files that are slowing down
initialization, but setopts are not likely to be it.

} Another thing: Are the keycodes ("^[!" and stuff) documented somewhere?

If you mean the key *bindings*, then yes; you can find it in `man zshzle'
or `info zsh "zsh line editor"'.  Look in the section about "Zle Widgets"
under the sub-heading "Standard Widgets".

If you mean something else, you'll have to ask more specifically.

* Re: Speed
@ 2002-05-14  6:56   ` Thorsten Haude
From: Thorsten Haude @ 2002-05-14  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh User ML

Hi,

* Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> [02-05-14 02:50]:
>On May 13, 11:15pm, Thorsten Haude wrote:
>} I just go through my /etc/zshenv, see all this setopts and wonder how
>} much difference is these in terms of speed:
>A single command is almost always faster than a series of equivalent
>commands.  However, the amount of work necessary to set options is so
>small that it'd likely take at least hundreds if not thousands of
>executions before you'd notice it.  Even with the proliferation of
>options in 4.x, there just aren't enough of them for this to matter.
I hoped you would say that. Single setopts are much better to read.

>There might be other things in your startup files that are slowing down
>initialization, but setopts are not likely to be it.
Anything special? Is that described somewhere?

>} Another thing: Are the keycodes ("^[!" and stuff) documented somewhere?
>If you mean the key *bindings*, then yes; you can find it in `man zshzle'
>or `info zsh "zsh line editor"'.  Look in the section about "Zle Widgets"
>under the sub-heading "Standard Widgets".
I cannot find it in 'Standard Widgets'.

>If you mean something else, you'll have to ask more specifically.
This is probably some trivial stuff I just happened to avoid before: I
have some bindkeys in my /etc/zshenv, and I want to understand what
they are doing. So I would simply need a list that translates "^[[23~"
or "^[6;5~" in whatever key is meant.

Thanks for your help!

Thorsten
--
When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are
considered more important than people; the giant triplets of racism,

* Re: Speed
@ 2002-05-14 15:11     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-05-14 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Haude, Zsh User ML

On May 14,  8:56am, Thorsten Haude wrote:
}
} >There might be other things in your startup files that are slowing down
} >initialization, but setopts are not likely to be it.
} Anything special?

Other than `compinit', no, nothing special, it'd depend entirely on your
local setup.

} Is that described somewhere?

There are various ways to speed up compinit -- the .zcompdump file, which
is described in `man zshcompsys' or in the info under "Completion System",
and the `zcompile' command.

} This is probably some trivial stuff I just happened to avoid before: I
} have some bindkeys in my /etc/zshenv, and I want to understand what
} they are doing. So I would simply need a list that translates "^[[23~"
} or "^[6;5~" in whatever key is meant.

Aha.  You'll have to look for this in the documentation for your terminal
or terminal emulator; it varies too much for the zsh manual to try to
list all the possibilities.

BTW, ^[6;5~ looks like a cursor movement sequence or other display control
code, not a key binding, but I suppose it might be a key.

You could try the `zkbd' helper that's included with zsh 4 -- it asks you
to type a bunch of keys and then creates a file that contains assignments
that look like

key[F1]='^[OP'
key[F2]='^[OQ'
key[F3]='^[OR'
key[F4]='^[OS'

etc.  However, it doesn't know about all possible keys on all possible
keyboards, just the most common ones.

* Re: Speed
@ 2002-05-14 21:33       ` Thorsten Haude
From: Thorsten Haude @ 2002-05-14 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh User ML

Hi,

* Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> [02-05-14 17:11]:
>There are various ways to speed up compinit -- the .zcompdump file, which
>is described in `man zshcompsys' or in the info under "Completion System",
>and the `zcompile' command.

>Aha.  You'll have to look for this in the documentation for your terminal
>or terminal emulator; it varies too much for the zsh manual to try to
>list all the possibilities.
Thanks for your hints, now I know where to look for further
information.

Thorsten
--
If you have any trouble sounding condescending,
find a Unix user to show you how it is done.