zsh-users
* Repeated Questions?
@ 2002-08-26  7:44 Mads Martin Joergensen
From: Mads Martin Joergensen @ 2002-08-26  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

When I try as a regular user to remove a directory owned by root I get
the question twice:

9:43 mmj@tiger:// > rm -r twoqestions
rm: remove write-protected directory `twoqestions'? y
rm: remove write-protected directory `twoqestions'? y
rm: cannot remove directory `twoqestions': Permission denied
zsh: 921 exit 1     rm -v -r twoqestions

Anyone else seing this, and if so, how to make it only once? With 4.0.4
the question was only asked once.

--
Mads Martin Jørgensen, http://mmj.dk
"Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic

* Re: Repeated Questions?
@ 2002-08-26 16:45 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-08-26 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mads Martin Joergensen, Zsh users list

On Aug 26,  9:44am, Mads Martin Joergensen wrote:
} Subject: Repeated Questions?
}
} When I try as a regular user to remove a directory owned by root I get
} the question twice:
}
} 9:43 mmj@tiger:// > rm -r twoqestions
} rm: remove write-protected directory `twoqestions'? y
} rm: remove write-protected directory `twoqestions'? y
} rm: cannot remove directory `twoqestions': Permission denied

These messages are coming from "rm", not from zsh.  The version of zsh
shouldn't have anything to do with it -- it must be the permissions on
the directory.

Here's what I get for a directory that is owned by root but readable by
anyone:

rm: directory `unremovable' is write protected; descend into it anyway? y
rm: remove directory `unremovable'? y
rm: cannot remove directory `unremovable': Operation not permitted

So the first question is rm asking whether to remove the contents of the
directory, and the second is asking whether to remove the directory itself.

Here's what I get if I "chmod -x" the directory:

rm: directory `unremovable' is write protected; descend into it anyway? y
rm: cannot change to directory unremovable: Permission denied

And if I "chmod +x,-r" the directory:

rm: directory `unremovable' is write protected; descend into it anyway? y
rm: unremovable/.: Permission denied
rm: remove directory `unremovable' (might be nonempty)? y
rm: cannot remove directory `unremovable': Operation not permitted

I think your version of "rm" is just not explaining itself well enough.

* Re: Repeated Questions?
@ 2002-08-28  6:38   ` Mads Martin Joergensen
From: Mads Martin Joergensen @ 2002-08-28  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh users list

* Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> [Aug 26. 2002 18:45]:
> These messages are coming from "rm", not from zsh.  The version of zsh
> shouldn't have anything to do with it -- it must be the permissions on
> the directory.

 [...]

> I think your version of "rm" is just not explaining itself well enough.

You're right, every other shell on the system excibit the same
behaviour.