zsh-users
* viruses (was Re: Meeting notice)
       [not found] <0H4V009M2HYBNA@mta4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>
@ 2002-11-01  4:59 ` Will Yardley
From: Will Yardley @ 2002-11-01  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Appeal to whomever runs this list....

I know this has been hashed out repeatedly in the past, but this is
getting ridiculous. While I like this list, the volume of spam / viruses
I get from it exceeds the actual list traffic.

Could you either

a) Close the list to non-subscribers
b) Use a confirmation system like TMDA for non-subscribers and / or
moderate the list.
c) Do some sort of filtering to reduce the number of viruses / spam
messages that go through to the list.

--
Will Yardley
input: william < @ hq . newdream . net . >

* Re: viruses (was Re: Meeting notice)
@ 2002-11-01 13:13   ` Roman Neuhauser
From: Roman Neuhauser @ 2002-11-01 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

# william@hq.newdream.net / 2002-10-31 20:59:36 -0800:
> Appeal to whomever runs this list....
>
> I know this has been hashed out repeatedly in the past, but this is
> getting ridiculous. While I like this list, the volume of spam / viruses
> I get from it exceeds the actual list traffic.

    through the list? i filter this list into its mailbox on the
    up in that mailbox, and i don't remember a single spam or virus
    getting in the folder. I don't use anything like SA, nor any AV,
    just a few maildrop rules... Hm, but they route quite a few emails
    to /dev/null, so that might be it: aol, juno, msn, yahoo, to name a
    few.

--
If you cc me or take the list(s) out completely I'll most likely ignore
your message.      see http://www.eyrie.org./~eagle/faqs/questions.html

* Re: viruses (was Re: Meeting notice)
@ 2002-11-01 13:31     ` Vincent Lefevre
From: Vincent Lefevre @ 2002-11-01 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 14:13:09 +0100, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
>     through the list?

Yes, I get many viruses and spam messages via the zsh-users
mailing-list. Most of them are now filtered (bounced for some
of them). And I sometimes get a message from the mailing-list
manager (to check whether my e-mail address is still valid)
saying that some of the messages sent to me were bounced.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International

* RE: viruses (was Re: Meeting notice)
@ 2002-11-01 13:39     ` Borzenkov Andrey
From: Borzenkov Andrey @ 2002-11-01 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Roman Neuhauser', zsh-users

> # william@hq.newdream.net / 2002-10-31 20:59:36 -0800:
> > Appeal to whomever runs this list....
> >
> > I know this has been hashed out repeatedly in the past, but this is
> > getting ridiculous. While I like this list, the volume of spam /
viruses
> > I get from it exceeds the actual list traffic.
>
>     through the list? i filter this list into its mailbox on the
>     few.

Not everybody is using client that allows easy filtering. In any case,
you still have to download message which means extra traffic and often
extra cost.

Unfortunately, zsh workers do not own list server in any way and IIRC
list server maintainers have been quite unresponsive in the past. To
workers: what about relocating lists to sourceforge? To my impression,
lists hosted there do not suffer from spam so much.

-andrey

* Re: viruses (was Re: Meeting notice)
@ 2002-11-01 17:45       ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2002-11-01 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 1 Nov, Andrey wrote:

> Unfortunately, zsh workers do not own list server in any way and IIRC
> list server maintainers have been quite unresponsive in the past. To
> workers: what about relocating lists to sourceforge? To my impression,
> lists hosted there do not suffer from spam so much.

I got a reply from Karsten at Sunsite Denmark. He wrote:
: To me directly? Well - I'm sorry if I have missed a mail - I get quite
: a lot...
:
: I have removed the sunsite.auc.dk alternative. Not they only work on
: sunsite.dk
:
: We can make the lists moderated, but I fear, that the
: announce->users->workers will tricker tripple moderation.
:
: I will leave for the USA/philadelphia to attend LISA in 10 hours, so I
: really would hate to make drastic changes right now, but I will be
: happy to look into the matter when I return at tuesday 12th.
:
: We will also offer TMDA protected lists in short time - we are working
: on the matters right now...

Anyone know what `TMDA' stands for? Or `LISA' for that matter?

I've confirmed that the auc.dk alternative now bounces which it does so
remember that you can't use it any more. That'll cut out more than half
the spam.

I'd be in favour of some sort of automated spam filtering such as
spamassassin with the rejected messages going to some address which a
human can periodically check through and resend any false positives on
from. I can do that unless somebody else is happy to.

Roman Neuhauser wrote:
|    just a few maildrop rules... Hm, but they route quite a few emails
|    to /dev/null, so that might be it: aol, juno, msn, yahoo, to name

Are other people blocking yahoo? If so I'll post under a different
address.

Oliver

This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended recipient(s) only.  It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege.  It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party.  If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender.  Thank you.

* Re: viruses (was Re: Meeting notice)
@ 2002-11-01 17:57         ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2002-11-01 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Kiddle; +Cc: zsh-users

http://tmda.net/
http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa02/

> I'd be in favour of some sort of automated spam filtering such as
> spamassassin with the rejected messages going to some address which a
> human can periodically check through and resend any false positives on
> from. I can do that unless somebody else is happy to.

I think even some MTA-level checks could be benficial; I get ezmlm
bounce messages from the zsh lists because sendmail doesn't like the
envelope headers of some spam.

SpamAssassin is run on the Debian lists, to some positive effect as
well.

> Are other people blocking yahoo? If so I'll post under a different
> address.

People take all sorts of draconian measures which result in the loss of
legitimate mail.