zsh-users
* Re: Please remove this spamming asshole <moonjh1@hanmail.net>
       [not found] <20030215183407.55965.qmail@web13707.mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2003-02-19  8:21 ` Oliver Kiddle
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2003-02-19  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 15 Feb, William Park wrote:
> I'm tired of spams in this mailing list.  Please unsubscribe this
> asshole.  --William Park

Your quoting the entire message actually meant that spamprobe filtered
your message for me but never mind.

The spams getting through seem to be mostly just those with charsets of
euc-kr, ks_c_5601-1987 and GB2312 and content-types of text/html. So I
spoke to Karsten again about filtering these. He then "grep'ed quite a
bit in many list archives" and found no messages where content-type is
text/html. I can confirm that this is also true for all messages in the
zsh archives. So Karsten is now blocking those.

Does anyone have any objections? Or has anyone identified anything
better to filter those messages on? I seem to remember reading somewhere
recently about hotmail now sending messages as text/html by default
which might make the filter a bit excessive.

Oliver

This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended recipient(s) only.  It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege.  It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party.  If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender.  Thank you.

* Re: Please remove this spamming asshole <moonjh1@hanmail.net>
@ 2003-02-19  9:03   ` Cosmo
From: Cosmo @ 2003-02-19  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: zsh-users

> The spams getting through seem to be mostly just those with charsets of
> euc-kr, ks_c_5601-1987 and GB2312 and content-types of text/html. So I
> spoke to Karsten again about filtering these. He then "grep'ed quite a
> bit in many list archives" and found no messages where content-type is
> text/html. I can confirm that this is also true for all messages in the
> zsh archives. So Karsten is now blocking those.
>
> Does anyone have any objections? Or has anyone identified anything
> better to filter those messages on? I seem to remember reading somewhere
> recently about hotmail now sending messages as text/html by default
> which might make the filter a bit excessive.

I would welcome both the loss of the spam and unecessary bloating of my
mail from text/html messages. Are the hotmail mesages multipart/alternative
with text/html and text/plain versions and if so, can't the mail filter
reformat the message into just text/plain (I know there are external programs
like reformime that can).

There are plenty of XXXX->html converters for all sorts of doc types but I'm
not aware of a html->text converter - everyone seems hellbent on producing
html even if just to be able to print the heading in *boldface*.

Cosmo

* Re: Please remove this spamming asshole <moonjh1@hanmail.net>
@ 2003-02-19  9:09   ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 2003-02-19  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Kiddle; +Cc: zsh-users

Oliver Kiddle wrote:
>The spams getting through seem to be mostly just those with charsets of
>euc-kr, ks_c_5601-1987 and GB2312 and content-types of text/html.

I can only think of one occasion when I've received a non-spam email
with content type text/html -- that alone is a good spam indicator.
There's also a huge number of people that have the poor taste to send
a multipart of text/plain and text/html, which also deserves to be
discouraged but isn't a good spam indicator.

-zefram

* Re: Please remove this spamming asshole <moonjh1@hanmail.net>
@ 2003-02-19  9:32     ` Seth Kurtzberg
From: Seth Kurtzberg @ 2003-02-19  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zefram, Oliver Kiddle; +Cc: zsh-users

A quick check in my spam directory shows that some spam messages are also
multipart.  The majority (in my sample which may or may not be
representative) have only text/html, but a significant number also have plain
text.

If it is practical, it would be a good idea to automatically extract plain
text only for senders who are part of the list.  If that can't be done, then
send a bounce message to the sender.  If it isn't a spam message, the sender
can resend in plain text.

--
Seth Kurtzberg
M. I. S. Corp.

* Re: Please remove this spamming asshole <moonjh1@hanmail.net>
@ 2003-02-19 11:49     ` John Buttery
From: John Buttery @ 2003-02-19 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* Cosmo <cosmo@uk.ibm.com> [2003-02-19 09:03:56 +0000]:
> There are plenty of XXXX->html converters for all sorts of doc types
> but I'm not aware of a html->text converter - everyone seems hellbent
> on producing html even if just to be able to print the heading in
> *boldface*.

  I'm not sure how resource-intensive this is -- I know it works fine
for my mail and I get over 100 messages a day, most of them spam -- but
I use lynx via procmail to convert text/html emails to text/plain (I
leave multipart ones intact).
  If you want my personal opinion (and as the saying goes, everybody's
got one :p), any email with a content-type of text/html should be
stopped cold.  If Hotmail is using it, well, their users might finally
have to feel 1/100th of the pain that their usage of that service
inflicts on the rest of the net.  Note that text/html is not the same as
multipart, where at least normal mail clients can get at a plain text
version to display (even if we still have to deal with the overall
sluggishness of the Net that results from SMTP-ing around all that extra
HTML crap), although as you can probably guess I have no love lost with
that format either.

:0
{
        :0 c
        ${MAILDIR}/inc/html-safetynet

        :0 fb
        |lynx -nopause -force_html -dump /dev/stdin

        :0 afwh
        |formail -i "Content-type: text/plain" -I "X-HTML-Strip: 1.0"
}

  As a list maintainer, you'll probably want to remove that little
clause that writes a copy to the "html-safetynet" file.  For everyone's
information, I have never once recovered a legitimate email from that
folder in the year I've been using this recipe, so I'm not sure why I
keep it around myself...  Anyway, after running this recipe you'll wind
up with these three headers:

  The first is added by formail when it replaces the "Content-type"
header...it "backs up" the old one.  The second, well duh.  :p  The
third one is just something I arbitrarily added so I could see at a
glance whether an email had been "filtered"...just in case a legit one
ever came in and I for some reason needed to recover the original HTML
version.

 John Buttery
                                     (Web page temporarily unavailable)

* Re: Please remove this spamming asshole <moonjh1@hanmail.net>
@ 2003-02-19 20:56   ` William Park
From: William Park @ 2003-02-19 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 09:21:18AM +0100, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> On 15 Feb, William Park wrote:
> > I'm tired of spams in this mailing list.  Please unsubscribe this
> > asshole.  --William Park
>
> Your quoting the entire message actually meant that spamprobe filtered
> your message for me but never mind.
>
> The spams getting through seem to be mostly just those with charsets of
> euc-kr, ks_c_5601-1987 and GB2312 and content-types of text/html. So I
> spoke to Karsten again about filtering these. He then "grep'ed quite a
> bit in many list archives" and found no messages where content-type is
> text/html. I can confirm that this is also true for all messages in the
> zsh archives. So Karsten is now blocking those.
>
> Does anyone have any objections? Or has anyone identified anything
> better to filter those messages on? I seem to remember reading somewhere
> recently about hotmail now sending messages as text/html by default
> which might make the filter a bit excessive.

I thought only those who subscribed can post to this mailing list.  I
guess this mailing list is just "include" in the /etc/mail/aliases. :-)

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>