zsh-users
* Package information for non-installed programs in ZSH
@ 2011-04-05 11:40 Oliver Keszöcze
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Oliver Keszöcze @ 2011-04-05 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello

Using BASH and Ubuntu I get messages such as

     The program 'gcc' can be found in the following packages:
      * gcc
      * pentium-builder
     Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>

if I try to run stuff I do not have currently installed. If I try the
same using
ZSH I get

     zsh: correct 'gcc' to '_gcc' [nyae]? n
     zsh: command not found: gcc

Is there a way to get the BASH behaviour under ZSH? Is it a BASH feature
anyway (might be some Ubuntu stuff)?

Best Regards
Oliver

* Re: Package information for non-installed programs in ZSH
@ 2011-04-05 12:42 ` Sebastian Tramp
From: Sebastian Tramp @ 2011-04-05 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Keszöcze; +Cc: zsh-users

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 01:40:16PM +0200, Oliver Keszöcze wrote:

> Using BASH and Ubuntu I get messages such as
>
>     The program 'gcc' can be found in the following packages:
>      * gcc
>      * pentium-builder
>     Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>
>
> if I try to run stuff I do not have currently installed. If I try the same
> using
> ZSH I get
>
>     zsh: correct 'gcc' to '_gcc' [nyae]? n
>     zsh: command not found: gcc
>
> Is there a way to get the BASH behaviour under ZSH? Is it a BASH feature
> anyway (might be some Ubuntu stuff)?

you have to include
/etc/zsh_command_not_found
in your zshrc, which is part of the command-not-found package ...

best regards

Sebastian Tramp

--
Sebastian Tramp - Department of Computer Science; University of Leipzig
WebID: http://sebastian.tramp.name  Tel. (Fax): +49 341 97 323-66 (-29)

* Re: Package information for non-installed programs in ZSH
@ 2011-04-05 12:43 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2011-04-05 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 13:40:16 +0200
Oliver Keszöcze <keszocze@math.uni-bremen.de> wrote:
> Using BASH and Ubuntu I get messages such as
>
>      The program 'gcc' can be found in the following packages:
>       * gcc
>       * pentium-builder
>      Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>
>
> if I try to run stuff I do not have currently installed.

It will be using a command-not-found handler.  You can do this sort of
thing in recent versions of zsh if you find out what the back end is...

command_not_found_handler() {
  print "Attempting to locate the command $1..."
  # if you don't want to consider that the command has been handled...
  return 1
}

% fumble
Attempting to locate the command fumble...
zsh: command not found: fumble

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@csr.com>            Software Engineer
Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070                   Cambridge Silicon Radio Limited

* Re: Package information for non-installed programs in ZSH
@ 2011-04-06  3:03 ` Brandon Sandrowicz
From: Brandon Sandrowicz @ 2011-04-06  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Look in the packages:
    command-not-found
    command-not-found-data

IIRC it was a Python script at one point in time.
--
Brandon