zsh-users
* Why zsh?
@ 2002-08-31  5:43 Arthur Alinovi
From: Arthur Alinovi @ 2002-08-31  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I'll start by saying up front that I am just a unix beginner who has
started experimenting with zsh.

So far, I'm very impressed by what I see. However, a friend of mine (who
is a bit of a unix wizard) uses tcsh and is curious as to what zsh can
do that tcsh couldn't do if he wrote a 500 line .cshrc file (which is
what a lot of the .zshrc files I've found on the web seem to be). I
mean, some of these files go on for pages and pages.

If someone who really knows this stuff could give me a few

"zsh is better that tcsh, because..."

I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

* Re: Why zsh?
@ 2002-08-31  7:06 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-08-31  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Alinovi, zsh-users

On Aug 31,  1:43am, Arthur Alinovi wrote:
}
} So far, I'm very impressed by what I see. However, a friend of mine
} (who is a bit of a unix wizard) uses tcsh and is curious as to what
} zsh can do that tcsh couldn't do if he wrote a 500 line .cshrc file

* Execute standard /bin/sh scripts.

* Handle ANY signal, not just INT and HUP.

* Redirect stderr without redirecting stdout as well.

* Parse real semantic control structures (loops, functions, etc.) rather
  than syntactic sugar that sort of looks like a control structure. [%]

And those are just the features common to any Bourne-like shell, such as
bash or ksh as well as zsh.  How about:

* Do real multi-line editing of arbitrary text (not just command lines).

* Do floating point arithmetic.  (Ok, so you need zsh 4.x for that one.)

* Save that 500 line startup file in byte-compiled form so it doesn't
  need to be parsed again the next time.  (Yeah, that's 4.x as well.)

I could go on, but there's no way to explain things like multios and
process substitutions in two lines of text, and you should have the idea
by now.

> "zsh is better that tcsh, because..."

... no one has yet had any reason to write a document entitled "Zsh
Programming Considered Harmful."

	http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/

----------
[%] I quote from <http://www.tcsh.org/tcsh.html/Control_flow.html>:

    "If the shell's input is not seekable, the shell buffers up input
     whenever a loop is being read and performs seeks in this internal
     buffer to accomplish the rereading implied by the loop."

* Re: Why zsh?
@ 2002-09-01 16:39 ` William H. Magill
From: William H. Magill @ 2002-09-01 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Alinovi; +Cc: zsh-users

On Saturday, August 31, 2002, at 01:43  AM, Arthur Alinovi wrote:
> "zsh is better that tcsh, because..."

zsh supports ksh which is the POSIX standard shell.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org

* Re: Why zsh?
@ 2002-08-31 20:42 Joshua Symons
From: Joshua Symons @ 2002-08-31 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Arthur Alinovi, zsh-users

also good reading, posted this link (copy of original) because faqs.org
is down.
http://www.uni-giessen.de/faq/archiv/unix-faq.shell.shell-differences/msg00000.html

- Josh -