zsh-workers
* ChangeLog entry: Author or Commttier?
@ 2022-09-20  6:56 Jun T
From: Jun T @ 2022-09-20  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

When creating a ChangeLog entry, should I use the name of the
Author of the patch, or of the Committer?

If I remember correctly the name of the Committer was used before,
but it seems Author's name is used recently.

* Re: ChangeLog entry: Author or Commttier?
@ 2022-09-20 19:54 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2022-09-20 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun T; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 12:39 PM Jun T <takimoto-j@kba.biglobe.ne.jp> wrote:

> When creating a ChangeLog entry, should I use the name of the
> Author of the patch, or of the Committer?

I am still using name of committer, with author mentioned in the text
of the entry alongside the mailing list sequence number.

* Re: ChangeLog entry: Author or Commttier?
@ 2022-09-22  7:13 ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2022-09-22  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

[reordering the quote]

Jun T wrote on Tue, 20 Sep 2022 06:56 +00:00:
> If I remember correctly the name of the Committer was used before,
> but it seems Author's name is used recently.

I think it changes not as a function of time but as a function of
committer.  E.g., my ChangeLog script sets the changelog author to the
git author.

> When creating a ChangeLog entry, should I use the name of the
> Author of the patch, or of the Committer?

Putting the author's name in the ChangeLog author place makes for
fewer differences between people with a commit bit and people without
one.  That's consistent with the gist of guidelines elsewhere, e.g., Freenode's
[I didn't check Libera's] "don't wear the op hat whilst not using it" and Apache's
"don't use @author tags in source files".

(I'm not advocating for a particular option; I'm just presenting one argument.)

Cheers,

Daniel