zsh-workers
* Re: how to get my umlauts back?
       [not found] ` <20080615201446.GA2001@pepin.polanet.pl>
@ 2008-06-15 20:58   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2008-06-15 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

[Moved to -workers]

On Jun 15, 10:14pm, Tomasz Pala wrote:
} Subject: Re: how to get my umlauts back?
}
} On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 13:57:29 +0200, Jens Schweikhardt wrote:
}
} > has stopped working. When typing äöü I now get this:
} >
} > $ <00e4><00f6><00fc>
} > zsh: command not found: äöü
}
} Set LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE.

It's possible there's some kind of obscure bug here.

If I do:

LANG= zsh

(so that LANG='' when the shell starts) then I can't input accented or
umlauted ISO-8859 characters *at all* -- they appear to be discarded
at the point where they'd go into the line editor buffer.  Prefixing
them with ctrl-v doesn't help.

If I override self-insert with

self-insert() { zle -M "$KEYS"; zle .self-insert }; zle -N self-insert

then I get the keystrokes in the message area as e.g. \M-| but still
nothing in the line editor buffer.

Changing the values of LANG and LC_* after the shell has started makes
no difference to this; once it's broken, it's broken for good.  Only by
exiting and restarting with a non-empty LANG can I get it working again.
Changing the multibyte and printeightbit options makes no difference.

* Re: how to get my umlauts back?
@ 2008-06-15 22:05     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2008-06-15 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Jun 15,  1:58pm, Bart Schaefer wrote:
}
} Changing the values of LANG and LC_* after the shell has started makes
} no difference to this; once it's broken, it's broken for good.  Only by
} exiting and restarting with a non-empty LANG can I get it working again.

I've since discovered that this is not precisely the case.  It does
work to change LANG after the shell is running, but it matters to what
value LANG is set.

* Re: how to get my umlauts back?
@ 2008-06-15 22:17       ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2008-06-15 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Jun 15,  3:05pm, Bart Schaefer wrote:
}
} It does work to change LANG after the shell is running, but it matters
} to what value LANG is set.

Last thing from me on this (today at least):  This is a ZLE-specific
problem.  "unsetop zle" and everything works as expected.