zsh-workers
* Test E01 and Y01 fails in my zsh 4.0.9
@ 2004-01-07 12:11 DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2004-01-07 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Workers

    Hi all :))

    When doing 'make check', the E01options test fails when testing
the option 'BSD_ECHO'. The expected output is:

    histon\nimpintong
    girton
    cottenham
    newnham
    comberton

    but instead it outputs

    histon\nimpintong
    girton
    cottenham
    newnham\ncomberton

    Seems that BSD_ECHO didn't work :??

    In addition to this, the Y01completion test runs forever, with no
output. Is this known or need I to setopt xtrace and try again to see
where it stops?

    Thanks :)

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736

* Re: Test E01 and Y01 fails in my zsh 4.0.9
@ 2004-01-07 16:02 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2004-01-07 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DervishD, Zsh Workers

On Jan 7,  1:11pm, DervishD wrote:
}
}     When doing 'make check', the E01options test fails when testing
} the option 'BSD_ECHO'.

On what operating system are you testing?

}     In addition to this, the Y01completion test runs forever, with no
} output. Is this known or need I to setopt xtrace and try again to see
} where it stops?

It's probably trouble with PTY handling.  Don't setopt xtrace; rather,
run the test as

    make check ZTST_verbose=2 TESTNUM=Y01

* Re: Test E01 and Y01 fails in my zsh 4.0.9
@ 2004-01-07 18:56   ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2004-01-07 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh Workers

    Hi Bart :)

 * Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> dixit:
> }     When doing 'make check', the E01options test fails when testing
> } the option 'BSD_ECHO'.
> On what operating system are you testing?

    Sorry, I forgot to tell: Linux, a DIY box running 2.4.21 kernel
with glibc 2.2.4

> }     In addition to this, the Y01completion test runs forever, with no
> } output. Is this known or need I to setopt xtrace and try again to see
> } where it stops?
> It's probably trouble with PTY handling.  Don't setopt xtrace; rather,
> run the test as
>     make check ZTST_verbose=2 TESTNUM=Y01

    Maybe PTY handling is the problem, but if I run the test as you
say, the test is indeed more verbose but hangs anyway :( It stops at:

    comptestinit -z $ZTST_testdir/../Src/zsh &&
    {
        mkdir dir1
        mkdir dir2
        touch file1
        touch file2
    }

    Don't know why 'comptestinit' stops there :??

    BTW, I have /dev/ptmx AND /dev/ptyp? so the test shouldn't fail
even if zsh thinks I don't have the PTY multiplexer :?

    Thanks for your answer :)

@ 2004-01-07 21:09     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2004-01-07 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DervishD; +Cc: Zsh Workers

On Jan 7,  7:56pm, DervishD wrote:
}
} > }     When doing 'make check', the E01options test fails when testing
} > } the option 'BSD_ECHO'.
} > On what operating system are you testing?
}
}     Sorry, I forgot to tell: Linux, a DIY box running 2.4.21 kernel
} with glibc 2.2.4

Hrm.  I can't think of any reason, offhand, for that failure.  The output
you quoted would indicate that it's behaving as if BSD_ECHO is always on.

}     Maybe PTY handling is the problem, but if I run the test as you
} say, the test is indeed more verbose but hangs anyway :( It stops at:
}
}     comptestinit -z $ZTST_testdir/../Src/zsh &&
[...]
}     Don't know why 'comptestinit' stops there :??

It could be a problem with globbing to initialize the fpath, but it's
far more likely that the zpty module is hanging it.

}     BTW, I have /dev/ptmx AND /dev/ptyp? so the test shouldn't fail
} even if zsh thinks I don't have the PTY multiplexer :?

If it were a problem with _finding_ the PTY, you wouldn't even get as
far as hanging.  I'd suspect a problem with actually reading or writing
the PTY.

As what user are you testing?

* Re: Test E01 and Y01 fails in my zsh 4.0.9
@ 2004-01-07 21:26       ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2004-01-07 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh Workers

    Hi Bart :)

 * Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> dixit:
> } > On what operating system are you testing?
> }     Sorry, I forgot to tell: Linux, a DIY box running 2.4.21 kernel
> } with glibc 2.2.4
> Hrm.  I can't think of any reason, offhand, for that failure.  The output
> you quoted would indicate that it's behaving as if BSD_ECHO is always on.

    That's strange, because BSD_ECHO is disabled in my RC files :??
Oh, shit, I know what the problem is... In my /etc/zshenv I disable
the 'echo' builtin so the coreutils one is used instead, and this
file is run even when zsh is invoked with '-f', isn't it?

> }     comptestinit -z $ZTST_testdir/../Src/zsh &&
> [...]
> }     Don't know why 'comptestinit' stops there :??
> It could be a problem with globbing to initialize the fpath, but it's
> far more likely that the zpty module is hanging it.

    Can it be caused by some option I set on my /etc/zshenv? In my
zshenv I just export some variables, set the options I want to set
for all shell flavors, declare some functions I want available for
all shells and disable a couple of builtins (this should go to
/etc/zshrc...).

> }     BTW, I have /dev/ptmx AND /dev/ptyp? so the test shouldn't fail
> } even if zsh thinks I don't have the PTY multiplexer :?
> If it were a problem with _finding_ the PTY, you wouldn't even get as
> far as hanging.  I'd suspect a problem with actually reading or writing
> the PTY.
> As what user are you testing?

    First test was under user 'user' (UID 100, few privileges, it can
even access pty's), last under root, and the result was the same).

@ 2004-01-07 22:30         ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2004-01-07 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DervishD; +Cc: Zsh Workers

On Jan 7, 10:26pm, DervishD wrote:
}
} Oh, shit, I know what the problem is... In my /etc/zshenv I disable
} the 'echo' builtin so the coreutils one is used instead, and this
} file is run even when zsh is invoked with '-f', isn't it?

Yep.  In fact, /etc/zshenv is run even when zsh is invoked with
"-o no_global_rcs".

} > }     Don't know why 'comptestinit' stops there :??
}
}     Can it be caused by some option I set on my /etc/zshenv?

It could be ... but I can't suggest anything specific.

Try "configure --disable-zshenv", then "make && make check", and if that
works then "configure --enable-zshenv" and "make" before installing.

* Re: Test E01 and Y01 fails in my zsh 4.0.9
@ 2004-01-07 23:46           ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2004-01-07 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh Workers

    Hi Bart :)

 * Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> dixit:
> } > }     Don't know why 'comptestinit' stops there :??
> }     Can it be caused by some option I set on my /etc/zshenv?
> It could be ... but I can't suggest anything specific.

    It *must* be, because if I delete /etc/zshenv and run the tests,
they no longer hang. Instead, all of the 'Y' tests fail. I'll try to
isolate the problem within my /etc/zshenv.

    Other possibility is that the 'Y' test are using some standard
Unix command that I don't have and that is the cause of the hang
and/or of the failure :?

> Try "configure --disable-zshenv", then "make && make check", and if that
> works then "configure --enable-zshenv" and "make" before installing.

    Simply renaming /etc/zshenv won't do? I'll try to isolate the
problem if tomorrow I can afford the time. I'll tell here if I
discover anything.

    Thanks for your help :)

@ 2004-01-09 11:54           ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2004-01-09 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh Workers

    Hi Bart :)

 * Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> dixit:
> } file is run even when zsh is invoked with '-f', isn't it?
> Yep.  In fact, /etc/zshenv is run even when zsh is invoked with
> "-o no_global_rcs".

    There should be a flag for avoiding even /etc/zshenv, just in
case it is badly broken...

> } > }     Don't know why 'comptestinit' stops there :??
> }     Can it be caused by some option I set on my /etc/zshenv?
> It could be ... but I can't suggest anything specific.

    Well, I isolated the problem: the test doesn't like my PS1
(which, BTW, shouldn't be in /etc/zshevn... my fault). Since
'comptest' modifies PS1, that was probably the problem. If I unset my
PS1, I got the following as the output of 'make check TESTNUM=Y01'.
Haven't tried with Y02 and Y03 yet:

cd Test ; make check
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/Test/zsh-4.0.9/Test'
if test -n ""; then \
  cd .. && DESTDIR= \
  make MODDIR=`pwd`/Test/Modules install.modules > /dev/null; \
fi
for f in ./Y01*.ztst; do \
  ../Src/zsh +Z -f ./ztst.zsh $f; \
done
./Y01completion.ztst: starting.
*** /tmp/zsh.ztst.out.6474	Fri Jan  9 12:42:19 2004
--- /tmp/zsh.ztst.tout.6474	Fri Jan  9 12:42:19 2004
***************
*** 1,12 ****
  line: {: }{}
! DI:{dir1}
! DI:{dir2}
! FI:{file1}
! FI:{file2}
! line: {: dir1/}{}
! line: {: dir2/}{}
! line: {: file1}{}
! line: {: file2}{}
! line: {: dir1/}{}
! line: {: dir2/}{}
--- 1,7 ----
  line: {: }{}
! line: {: }{}
! line: {: }{}
! line: {: }{}
! line: {: }{}
! line: {: }{}
! line: {: }{}
Test ./Y01completion.ztst failed: output differs from expected as shown above for:
  comptest $': \t\t\t\t\t\t\t'
Was testing: directories and files
./Y01completion.ztst: test failed.
make[1]: [check] Error 1 (ignored)
rm -rf Modules .zcompdump
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Test/zsh-4.0.9/Test'

    I don't have the 'computil' module, could it be the problem?
Anyway, my zsh seems to work OK even if the test fails :?

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736

* Re: zpty and sutff
@ 2004-01-31 22:06     ` Alexey Tourbin
From: Alexey Tourbin @ 2004-01-31 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Workers; +Cc: Bart Schaefer

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 07:56:18PM +0100, DervishD wrote:
>     Maybe PTY handling is the problem, but if I run the test as you
> say, the test is indeed more verbose but hangs anyway :( It stops at:
>
>     comptestinit -z $ZTST_testdir/../Src/zsh &&
>     {
>         mkdir dir1
>         mkdir dir2
>         touch file1
>         touch file2
>     }
>
>     Don't know why 'comptestinit' stops there :??
>
>     BTW, I have /dev/ptmx AND /dev/ptyp? so the test shouldn't fail
> even if zsh thinks I don't have the PTY multiplexer :?

Hi,

I've got rather similar problem with pty handling (zpty).
Last year I pached zsh to use "native" glibc calls (getpt(3) and so on)
and posted a patch to this list.  The patch was non-portabe, though.

What is the output of the following commands with zsh you've built?

zmodload zsh/zpty
zpty job1 date
zpty -r job1

* Re: zpty and sutff
@ 2004-01-31 23:49       ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2004-01-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Workers, Bart Schaefer

    Hi Alexey :)

 * Alexey Tourbin <at@altlinux.ru> dixit:
> I've got rather similar problem with pty handling (zpty).
> Last year I pached zsh to use "native" glibc calls (getpt(3) and so on)
> and posted a patch to this list.  The patch was non-portabe, though.

    The problem in my case (not the tests one) was that although
Linux (glibc I mean) supports PTMX, zsh believes that it doesn't.

    I still have no clue about the cause of the zsh tests failing...

> What is the output of the following commands with zsh you've built?
> zmodload zsh/zpty

    None (correctly)

> zpty job1 date

    None (correctly)

> zpty -r job1

    Sun Feb 1 00:48:34 CET 2004 (yes, I know, I should be sleeping...).

    Hope that helps. If you need more information, let me know.