zsh-workers
* BUG? Zsh does not print the last line of stdout of a child process if that line does not have newline char at end. BUG?
@ 2005-04-28 21:51 Batalov, Denis
From: Batalov, Denis @ 2005-04-28 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I have encountered unexpected zsh behaviour which looks like a bug. At the same time it is so basic that others must have seen it before, so maybe it's not. I would appreciate some clarification.

Basically, if the last line in the output of a command executed from the zsh command-line does not have the terminating newline character, then the line is not shown by zsh. Here is a simple test one can try:

$ echo -n gogi
$

On other shells, e.g. bash, the behaviour is as expected:

$ echo -n gogi
gogi$

Any comments? Please CC directly to my e-mail address, as I am not a regular reader.

Thanks,
--
Denis V. Batalov

* Re: BUG? Zsh does not print the last line of stdout of a child process if that line does not have newline char at end. BUG?
@ 2005-04-29  1:18 ` Wayne Davison
From: Wayne Davison @ 2005-04-29  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Batalov, Denis; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 02:51:13PM -0700, Batalov, Denis wrote:
> $ echo -n gogi
> $

I like the precmd solution mentioned in the FAQ:

http://zsh.sunsite.dk/FAQ/zshfaq03.html#l40

(Note to FAQ maintainer: the index appears to be off by one -- it
linked to l39, but the answer appears to be l40.)

..wayne..

@ 2005-04-29  1:45 ` Alexey Tourbin
From: Alexey Tourbin @ 2005-04-29  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers