zsh-workers
From: Daniel Tameling <tamelingdaniel@gmail.com>
To: zsh-workers@zsh.org
Subject: Re: support more arguments to diff
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 16:59:13 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 10:48:08PM -0700, Eitan Adler wrote:
> This patch isn't perfect since {Net,DragonFly,Open,Free}BSD are not
> identical but this patch at leasts makes the completion a lot closer
> to reality.
>
> Currently FreeBSD doesn't even show -q for example.

Did the patch change the behavior of diff completion for you? On my
FreeBSD, diff is some GNU variant, and I think that it's the default
and that I didn't install it via pkg:

$ uname -sr
FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p9

$ which diff
/usr/bin/diff

$ diff -v
diff (GNU diffutils) 2.8.7
Written by Paul Eggert, Mike Haertel, David Hayes,
Richard Stallman, and Len Tower.

If completing, I also get the GNU options. -q appears actually on the
first line:

$ diff -<Tab>
Completing option
--brief                     -q      -- output only whether files = differ

I think the reason why there is only openbsd in the else branch is
that all the other ship with some kind of GNU diff. (At least that is
what the online man pages of dragonfly and netbsd indicate.) However,
the versions seem to differ wildly across BSDs.

--
Kind regards,
Daniel